HDL (good) cholesterol too low

Options
My lab work came back and all was really good (including bad cholesteral, glucose and triglycerides) but my HDL (good) cholester was 31 (should be above 50). Has anyone had good success with using a specific method for raising HDL? The pamphlet says he wary of eating a diet TOO low fat. I understand that doesn't mean eat McDonald's everyday lol...and I know that good diet and exercise helps...but anything specific out there ?

Thanks!

Replies

• skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Try drinking unicity bio life slim. It is loaded with fiber and helps to lower ldl and raise hdl. It is really good for you and will help you lose weight at the same time. www.biolifeslim.com
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That link didn't work?
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Exercise will help bring the levels up. In addition, niacin supplements (in the form of slow release nicotinic acid) can also bring up the good cholesterol readings. This is available over the counter but check with your doctor before adding this to your supplement list. Niacin can interact with other meds so it is best taken only when your doctor has given the OK.
  • marydude
    marydude Posts: 5
    Options
    Have you considered consulting a dietician /nutritionist? They should be able to assess what you are eating and make recommendations to improve to HDL. They might recommend a supplement - fish oil or omega 3 or flax seed oil. But a consultation might be helpful. The bigger challenge may be finding a good one who will give you good sound advice instead of selling you something. Good luck!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    There are good fats and bad fats. You need to be eating more of the good fats, like olive oil, avocado, nuts, fish, etc. Fat doesn't instantly turn into fat when you eat it -- up to 25% fat in your diet is fine, as long as less than 1/3 of it is Saturated and there are no trans fats.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Quit eating out. Stay away from foods with trans-fats. Trans-fats are dangerous because they raise your LDL and lower your HDL. To raise your HDL, you need a lean diet filled with plenty of veggies. Your meals should be cooked in olive oil and eat eggs at least twice a week. You need to workout at least five times a week with at least three cardio sessions that last 40 minutes a piece. In six months, your HDL could easily be 60.

Your weight X 10 - 500 is the amount of calories you should be eating per day. This is the down and dirty method of calculating how many calories you need without knowing anything about you.
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    I think your fat intake is a bit too low. My personal opinion would be to add some unsaturated fats into your diet... a source of omega 3 (maybe fatty fish), olive oil, canola oil, peanut butter, avocados...