Trying to lose weight with Celiac Disease & Hypothyroidism, HELP

Options
Last year I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease after having Hypothyroidism for most of my life before then. I find it SO hard to stay away from gluten and eating clean (Wheat is in EVERYTHING) I don't wan't any judgment about how bad gluten is for me and how I NEED to stop, I am just hoping that I can get some tips from some people who loves food as much as me that had a hard time transitioning.

Replies

• KimC143
    KimC143 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have hypothyroidism and went gluten free to try and control my levels. It definitely can be difficult. Try to limit going out to eat as much as you can until you get use to being GF. That was usually when I made "exceptions" to my diet then felt crappy later. Plan your meals ahead as much as you can. To settle carb cravings I ate potatoes or rice with meals instead of normal wheat choices I had eaten before. Also pasta was the toughest for me - barilla GF pasta is the best, tastes great. Lastly corn tortillas were a staple in my kitchen. Whether I stuck an egg in it or deli meat. That helped substitute bread a lot. Hope this helps! One thing I can say is if you give yourself a solid 2 weeks GF, you'll feel a difference and thats a huge motivator in itself. Good luck!
  • michkins33
    michkins33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am also hypothyroid and avoiding gluten in attempt to get my immune system running well again.

I find like Kim I need to limit eating out and alcohol. It's when I let myself eat gluten and sometimes is just keeps going for days after that. It's a bad cycle. And I feel so much better without gluten.

You can be gluten free and still enjoy food. Try shopping a co op or natural foods store they may have some locally baked gluten free bread doe sandwiches.
    I make hamburgers and use udis gluten free buns. They are pretty good. I keep them in the freezer until I use one then I lightly toast it.
    For noodles honestly. I find all gluten free noodles to be gross.
    I use a spiraler to make zucchini noodles. With some sauce and meatballs and cheese or just some simple pesto. It's a great meal and full of vitamins.

Pizza I still have I find gluten free dough in the deli area at my grocery store. I just roll it out add my toppings and bake!

Make a go of 7 days without and see how you feel. It may be that's enough to keep you on track knowing how good you can feel.
  • tans3352
    tans3352 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey I have both of those conditions and I also enjoy my food.
    I have managed to lose 19kg in the last three months using diet changes and increased exercise.
    With the thyroid- really important to take your tabs and get your levels checked.
    With Celiac, well, I completely avoid gluten because it makes me sick as a dog, so I don't even have cravings or anything, if anything I wish I had found out sooner, but I also understand how it doesn't necessarily do that to you and therefore you have cravings.
    Gluten free is simple, really, and super important, because did you know that an unhealthy intestine absorbs more calories! (no jokes, I read an article about it recently, can't remember where from though), and if you are a Celiac and eating gluten, you have an unhealthy intestine. (and you are also at 80x the risk of getting small bowel cancer which is nasty!)
    For my carbs I eat GF bread, rice, potatoes and corn.
    I can eat all vegetables and all meat. I can eat a lot of spices-I just have to check the labels. In fact, I can eat pretty much what I want when I want, I just have to be a super label checker to ensure it doesn't have gluten.
    I also have lactose intolerance and again- avoid or be sick... I choose in both instances to avoid.
    Eating out is harder, I avoid that unless they do gf options... which plenty of places do. I find Mexican, Indian, cafes, Mediterranean are generally quite good at gf.
  • tans3352
    tans3352 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    P.S. Always toast the bread... always.
    And curries are a great healthy gf option often...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you suspect your thyroid is not managed properly, this is something you should discuss with your endocrinologist ASAP. Since you are in your teens still, I am assuming you have regular appointments with an endocrinologist and regular adjustment of medication, or weight gain would be the least of your concerns. If your thyroid is properly managed, it does not affect your weight.
    As for Celiac, again weight gain should not be the issue or your motivation. Celiac patients do not get fat because of gluten, this is not the reason to avoid it. Talk to your dr and ask for a reference to a dietitian, so you can figure out what is and is not safe for you, regardless of weight. You are focusing on the wrong things.
    And whoever is doing the shopping/cooking in your family should definitely be with you.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you suspect your thyroid is not managed properly, this is something you should discuss with your endocrinologist ASAP. Since you are in your teens still, I am assuming you have regular appointments with an endocrinologist and regular adjustment of medication, or weight gain would be the least of your concerns. If your thyroid is properly managed, it does not affect your weight.
    As for Celiac, again weight gain should not be the issue or your motivation. Celiac patients do not get fat because of gluten, this is not the reason to avoid it. Talk to your dr and ask for a reference to a dietitian, so you can figure out what is and is not safe for you, regardless of weight. You are focusing on the wrong things.
    And whoever is doing the shopping/cooking in your family should definitely be with you.

what i highlighted is INCORRECT. my thyroid is being managed properly and it DOES have an effect on my weight. I gain easily and can't lose hardly anything, even when eating and drinking healthy. Age may have something to do with it more than anything else. I am in my mid-40's and had my thyroid removed completely. So, i am solely on medication for my thyroid functions.

aggelikik, if you aren't an endocrinologist that is personally taking care of this person, then you can't and shouldn't be trying to give her medical advise. leave that to her endocrinologist. just speak from YOUR experience alone.