Garmin 235 and Garmin Connect Issues

Options
I haven't gotten any help on the Garmin forums so thought I'd try here:

My RunKeeper says it's connected with Garmin, as does my Garmin Connect. But, it doesn't upload my runs to RunKeeper. Well, it did one, but it took 24 hours for it to work and it hasn't done the other run from this morning.

I'm also having trouble syncing my Garmin 235 with Garmin Connect. It synced my running activity today, but not my steps or anything else.

How do I force it to sync again? I can't find it in the menu.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    How is your watch connected? Do you have bluetooth or wifi (or both)? Are you sure it is connecting to Garmin Connect?

There's an option to sync to Garmin Connect on your watch (it should be one of the default screens). For MFP, look for the Widget in Garmin Connect that is for Calories. There's an option to sync from there.

No idea about Runkeeper. I didn't know it would sync. Why would you want it to???
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper has years of run history and I'm a premium member so the reports are great. Garmin's app, so far, is fairly awful.

I don't want it synced to MFP at all.

Can you tell me where on the menu the sync option is? My watch doesn't appear to have it.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I'm connected via Bluetooth and I'm sure it's connected.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I removed the menu so I'm not sure now... I believe it was one of the original screens with the clock (mine is the 630 so it may be different). In my manual it is under the bluetooth control widget.

FWIW - You can use Tapirik to copy your workouts to and from Garmin Connect. I used it to copy all of my Endomondo and Runkeeper stats over as well as saving them on Dropbox for archiving. I am still a premium member at Endomondo (but I did cancel my renewal).

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I found Garmin to Runkeeper extremely flaky. Garmin to Endomondo, Strava, Training Peaks and Beginner Triathlete are painless and consistent.

For Runkeeper I use https://tapiriik.com/ as a mediator now. That's got the added advantage that it's copied my RK history across to the other platforms as well, so I have multiple backups.

As far as the watch to GC point is concerned, I do find the synch, from my VivoSmart, slower and a bit flaky, if I've got a weak phone signal. The phone app doesn't have store and forward, in the same way that the laptop software does.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    That's a pay service? That's a bummer.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Nope, only if you want it to automate. In the time it takes me to write my logs I can get it going and it'll sync.

The RK implementation of GC interoperability is really kludgy so best avoided IMHO.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Thanks!
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a 235 and also use tapiriik to keep everything in sync between connect, endomondo and runkeeper. I paid so it's automatically, it's $2/year.
    As for forcing the watch to sync, I find just opening the app on my phone usually does the trick.
  • granty808
    granty808 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know this is a pretty old thread, but I've just been having sync issues(ie it won't even though it is connected to phone via btooth). My problem was that I had an activity (a run) in progress ie not saved or discarded. As soon as I discarded the run (which was accidently started), the watch synced with garmin mobile connect