Plantar Fasciitis

Options
Ok, I was doing really good last year.... gym and dieting, 80lbs lost on my own. Then the pain hit me in my left foot and is now spread to both feet, my right knee and my back. I plan on doing some more low carb to get me started this time again, but does anyone have any ideas on what to do as far as burning calories without putting so much strain on your feet, knees and back? Anyone who has been through this, knows the struggle.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any ideas on what to do as far as burning calories without putting so much strain on your feet, knees and back?

Reducing calorie intake works. :)

Try wearing a good insole like Superfeet or Powerstep, then try biking, elliptical or walking.

Are your foot arches flat or high?
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've had it a few times from running and The Sock (https://thesock.com/) has taken care of it in 1-2 days each time. As for it spreading to knees and back, I have never hard of that, perhaps check with your doctor to make sure it's not something else if you have not already done so.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor. Plantar fasciitis is usually really painful in the fascia of the heals. I have it and went to a podiatrist. Knees and back though, that seems odd.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis bands are useful if you are not already using them...very helpful for having to stand for 15 hours a day in regards to preventing foot pain. Consult a podiatrist when possible
  • ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Knees and back can end up hurting because you alter your walking posture to ease the plantar pain.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis and for a year or so I could barely walk in the mornings and hobbled around every time I got up from sitting for a few minutes. I bought shoes with good arch support and learned a few ways to tape my feet until I found a method that worked the best for me. I taped my feet literally every day, avoided running and jumping, and gently stretched my arches every morning before getting out of bed by pulling back on my toes. At some point after about six months of this I realized I was pain free. I should have bought stock in whoever makes the athletic tape I used. My pain never went beyond my feet, and it responded to my treatment, so I never saw a doctor.
  • jennifer87402
    jennifer87402 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have had planar fasciitis and after suffering using walk fit insoles ( they helped alor gotten from amazon) and MBT shoes someone told me I had that and used Nikken insoles! it healed my problem in 3 weeks!
  • Ms_Jae
    Ms_Jae Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was doing really good last year.... gym and dieting, 80lbs lost on my own. Then the pain hit me in my left foot and is now spread to both feet, my right knee and my back. I plan on doing some more low carb to get me started this time again, but does anyone have any ideas on what to do as far as burning calories without putting so much strain on your feet, knees and back? Anyone who has been through this, knows the struggle.

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis by a podiatrist. And I did physical therapy to cure my issue. I kept a can of vegetables in my freezer and a towel at my bed so every morning when I woke up I grab that towel and I put it around the top portion of my foot just below my toes and stretched out my calf then I would go and get my frozen peas out of the freezer and roll it over the arches of my foot. I did this for maybe a month or two. Once my calves were stretched out really really well I had absolutely no more problems with plantar fasciitis I suspect that is also the reason why you have pain in your knees and your lower back. you will probably need to stretch out your glutes as well but it sounds like your entire back side from your feet to your back are really really tight. I wish you good luck!
  • ronflournoy498
    ronflournoy498 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend you check out orthotic inserts for your shoes. Ever heard of the Good Feet store? I developed PF in my early 20's. Doctor originally gave a cortisone injection, but that just masked the pain. Years later I could not run and if I did my foot burned for hours. Quality orthotics changed all that and my foot has been pain free for over a year. Good luck!
  • RobertVinson2
    RobertVinson2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had a bad bout with plantar fasciitis several years ago. When I got out of bed in the morning I just hoped I would not fall. Talked to a friend who is a orthopedist who specialized in feet. He told me to stretch the Achilles tendons (stretching the foot upwards). I got over it and have not had a problem in years.
  • chriskparedes
    chriskparedes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is there a good feet store anywhere near you? I had the same thing a few years back. It's debilitating, and I totally feel your pain. I came really close to having surgery but my insurance would not cover it. I bought inserts for around $100 from the GFS, and it was life changing. Look them up and see if they can help you out.
  • julie_zepeda
    julie_zepeda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Swimming, stretching foot up from heel & please see a podiatrist. I was diagnosed with the same. Did the stretches, wore the boot, inserted the custom insoles. Feel 100% now. Cortisone shot didn't help much at all. Stretches & inserts were my best friends. The podiatrist might be able to determine of your knees are hurting because of the posture due to the plantar fasciitis.
  • yanick356
    yanick356 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Had it and rested for a month, but every morning standing up reinjured it. Got a cortizone shot, and is now 90% better! I started jogging again 2 days after the shot.
  • swissmiss431
    swissmiss431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have PF, too. See a doctor and get into a physical therapist. They can recommend some things.

If you don't want to do that head on down to the pharmacy and buy a bunch of different insoles until you find one that works for you. Then think about swimming or taking a spin class.
  • nomorefatgirl78
    nomorefatgirl78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late response, I did not think anyone said anything to my post because I never saw a red flag or anything (like on facebook notifications). I have seen a podiatrist, he said my fasciia was triple what he normally sees in patients. I'm assuming because of my weight and how hard I was pushing myself at the Y before it started. He was adamant that if I did the stretches, wore the night splint and took some otc nsaids that it would go away. $600 later plus the cortisone shot that did nothing and an mri that determined my fasciia was torn, he said he'd do the surgery to release it but I would be out of work for a couple weeks; thanks to ye olde obamacare, my deductible was entirely out of my price range, especially when this office wants it up front. He then told me that he could send me to therapy but all they were gonna do is stretch it for me so I decided to just save the almighty dollar and do the stretching, icing and everything else at home on my own. He did tell me once that my body would get out of whack due to the overcompensating from the foot pain, so that's where that's coming from. I was mainly curious about some low impact exercises that wouldnt affect my feet so much, I believe the pool may be the best option at this point but was interested in some other options. I believe I may check out this good feet store that several have mentioned and possibly the taping. Thanks guys and good luck to everyone!