plateaued and active. help.

Options
I burn between 800-1100 calories a day by running several miles. very rarely do I take a day off. maybe once every two weeks bc my daughter is having a fussy day. my question is this: how many calories do i need to eat and when? i was 168 pounds before i had my daughter and the weight fell off til i was about 140. then i started working out and i dropped to 132. i currently have been plateaued at 132 for about 3 weeks. i eat about 1100-1500calories/day. and i know thats the problem. i just cant understand how eating more is going to help? i guess i need this explained to me. i'd like to weigh 120 again by the end of july. if someone could help me out with this, please do!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You have to eat to lose - especially when you're super active AND close to your goal weight. Our bodies NEED food to run as efficiently as possible. When we start neglecting to feed them properly, we tend to see a loss at first, but eventually your body will catch up to what is happening and will stop losing. You'll start storing fat vs burning it because your body is scared it isn't going to get enough nutrition. Also, it will begin using muscle as fuel. You don't want to store fat and burn muscle. You want to burn fat and build muscle!

I know eating to lose goes against everything that we've ever heard - but it is true. It sounds to me like you're basically burning off all the calories you're taking in with exercise. You aren't leaving your body anything extra to live off of. In the long term, this isn't what you want to do. Your metabolism will start to slow down too.

Also. It is very important to take days off so your body can rest, repair and heal from exercise. Taking 1-2 days off a week is what they normally suggest. You have to give your muscles a chance to repair themselves from all you're putting them through. Trust me when I say working out too much without a break can (and often does) result in an injury somewhere down the road. If we wear our bodies out they can't perform as well. Gotta take a break.
  • kowskey
    kowskey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Simply put, you are starving, so your body is hoarding what it can. You *do* need fuel for proper operation!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I got a link with great info when I asked about it last week. Good Luck!!
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I burn between 800-1100 calories a day by running several miles. very rarely do I take a day off. maybe once every two weeks bc my daughter is having a fussy day. my question is this: how many calories do i need to eat and when? i was 168 pounds before i had my daughter and the weight fell off til i was about 140. then i started working out and i dropped to 132. i currently have been plateaued at 132 for about 3 weeks. i eat about 1100-1500calories/day. and i know thats the problem. i just cant understand how eating more is going to help? i guess i need this explained to me. i'd like to weigh 120 again by the end of july. if someone could help me out with this, please do!

Here's another option...ditch the running massive miles for massive calories...and do 15-20 minutes of intervals a minimum of 3x a week. You'll 'burn' less calories...but your metabolism will spike...releasing hormones that shed fat, rather than hold onto it like steady state cardio does.

Read this:
    http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

Additionally...you MOST certainly do need to eat more...but ditching the long runs will do a lot on its own.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I also agree you need to eat more. I am currently about 7 lbs to my goal weight and I raised my calorie intake about 4 weeks ago from 1200 to 1380 and that helped shake the weight loss again. I know it's hard to think by eating more you will lose but it is so true. Your body needs fuel to workout like that everyday. From what you are saying you should be eating at least 2000-2300 calories a day after exercise:) Try eating every few hours to help get in the needed calories and make sure you are eating 3 meals a day plus healthy snacks in between. Also you might try switching up your exercise. Try strength training or something fresh and new.. Good luck to you:):)
  • chevy88grl
    Options

Here's another option...ditch the running massive miles for massive calories...and do 15-20 minutes of intervals a minimum of 3x a week. You'll 'burn' less calories...but your metabolism will spike...releasing hormones that shed fat, rather than hold onto it like steady state cardio does.

Read this:
    http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

Additionally...you MOST certainly do need to eat more...but ditching the long runs will do a lot on its own.

I started mixing strength training and cardio into a kind of "circuit training" and holy moly! Noticed a huge change in a short time. Definitely worked better than the straight cardio I was doing for awhile.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Have you checked your BMR? I highly reccommend it because it tells you how many calories your body needs if you were to stay in bed ALL day (not that you would) but based on your activity and fitness I can bet you need 1300-1400 (just a guess) just to lounge around all day in bed. Another thing that has been said is your body burns so much when exercising it needs fuel to remain "active". Good luck!
  • jules_lives_outloud
    Options
    Going through this myself. I recently increased my calories to 1200 net which means consuming 2000- 2300 calories on my heavy work out days. My workout routine is currently P90X 6 days a week and half- marathon training. After about four days of the increased calories I started losing ounces, which is the first decrease in weight in 3 months. Rechanged goals to 1 pound a work. Check out www.fat2fitradio/bmr, it was recommended to me by a fellow MFP. Your so close to your goal weight, that worked then does not work now. Check your diet and what you have left after exercise, increase that number, and I bet you will start to see results. Good luck getting to your goal weight :ohwell:
  • beauflexx
    beauflexx Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi ill keep it short for you. . .the best I CAN. . .;) I am a trainer and I work with about 90% woman. The post right beneath yours is pretty spot on and by the looks of her photo she knows what she is saying. But when you are smaller it is a lot tougher because you have left to lose. So first advice make sure that the workouts you are doing are a mix of lifting and cardio. The lifting in particular, not only does is give your body a reason to keep the muscle but also you wont end up skinny fat, which im sure you know what that is. Also you will maintane the muscle and thus keep up the metabolism also hormones are far more positively effected by weights than cardio which is what most ppl think they should do more of when in reality its the opposite. And for the cardio you are doing you need to make sure its a the correct heart rates. Thus being useful not just time spent burning calories. As for your food choices the ideal defict ( difference between cal burned and consumed) is about 30% to keep losing weight and while keeping muscle and losing fat consistantly over time with out plateauing. . .or you can eat less but it must be perfect. . .and clean. Also narrow it down to 1400-1500. . .smaller calories in equals smaller margine for error.

I am very good at what I do so please feel free to ask any questions ill gladly answer them in a timely manner. As for some good materials to refer too a great book on lifting technique for woman is lift like a man look like a goddess. A great book to dispell any rumors on why woman should or should not lift. Also make sure you are taking your applicable supps.. ..multi, fish oil, vit c. . glutamine ( google it ;) )
    Hope I could be a help
  • jules_lives_outloud
    Options

Read this:

I started mixing strength training and cardio into a kind of "circuit training" and holy moly! Noticed a huge change in a short time. Definitely worked better than the straight cardio I was doing for awhile.
  • jules_lives_outloud
    Options
    As said by another MFP:

Oh yeah. Mix your stuff up, increase net calories, and things will improve.

Yesterday, I had 1400 calories by noon and stopped eating before 2pm because I was fueling up for my 7 mile run for half training. This served 2 purposes:
    1. Have enough fuel for the run
    2. So I wouldn't have as much to eat back after the run.

I still keep a deficit but it is very low. my goal is to have 1200 net calories by the end of the night. You gotta eat, and be strong for your baby girl, and you. Hope this helps.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hi ill keep it short for you. . .the best I CAN. . .;) I am a trainer and I work with about 90% woman. The post right beneath yours is pretty spot on and by the looks of her photo she knows what she is saying. But when you are smaller it is a lot tougher because you have left to lose. So first advice make sure that the workouts you are doing are a mix of lifting and cardio. The lifting in particular, not only does is give your body a reason to keep the muscle but also you wont end up skinny fat, which im sure you know what that is. Also you will maintane the muscle and thus keep up the metabolism also hormones are far more positively effected by weights than cardio which is what most ppl think they should do more of when in reality its the opposite. And for the cardio you are doing you need to make sure its a the correct heart rates. Thus being useful not just time spent burning calories. As for your food choices the ideal defict ( difference between cal burned and consumed) is about 30% to keep losing weight and while keeping muscle and losing fat consistantly over time with out plateauing. . .or you can eat less but it must be perfect. . .and clean. Also narrow it down to 1400-1500. . .smaller calories in equals smaller margine for error.

I am very good at what I do so please feel free to ask any questions ill gladly answer them in a timely manner. As for some good materials to refer too a great book on lifting technique for woman is lift like a man look like a goddess. A great book to dispell any rumors on why woman should or should not lift. Also make sure you are taking your applicable supps.. ..multi, fish oil, vit c. . glutamine ( google it ;) )
    Hope I could be a help

Great post...I normally recommend weight lifting as well...or at minimum bodyweight strength training...but I've found that when I post things like that around here, most often my entire post is ignored lol. If you're willing to mix in the weight training PLEASE DO!! If not...at minimum please do the interval training rather than straight cardio. The differences will astound you.
  • stacyannsmith
    Options
    As said by another MFP:

Yesterday, I had 1400 calories by noon and stopped eating before 2pm because I was fueling up for my 7 mile run for half training. This served 2 purposes:

I still keep a deficit but it is very low. my goal is to have 1200 net calories by the end of the night. You gotta eat, and be strong for your baby girl, and you. Hope this helps.

well i guess i should have said that haha. i do circuit training for 30 minutes everyday too. but yes this all helped tremendously. i dont want to cut out the runs because i am a distance runner (training for a 10k). have been since i was 14 and im now 25 so i cant just stop running. i just needed to know how to compensate to continue losing the weight and not become "skinny fat". im going to up my net calories like you mentioned and throw in a rest day. should i up my weights?? all i have are 3 and 5 lbs weights that i have been working into the circuit training... hopefully this all helps. i feel as if i understand and am even more confused all at the same time :/
  • stacyannsmith
    Options

Hope I could be a help

this was all so helpful!! thank you so much. so you think my NET calories should be 1400-1500 right?
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    As said by another MFP:

well i guess i should have said that haha. i do circuit training for 30 minutes everyday too. but yes this all helped tremendously. i dont want to cut out the runs because i am a distance runner (training for a 10k). have been since i was 14 and im now 25 so i cant just stop running. i just needed to know how to compensate to continue losing the weight and not become "skinny fat". im going to up my net calories like you mentioned and throw in a rest day. should i up my weights?? all i have are 3 and 5 lbs weights that i have been working into the circuit training... hopefully this all helps. i feel as if i understand and am even more confused all at the same time :/

When I can do 20 reps/3 times at a certain weight - then I know it is time to raise the weights. Higher weights won't cause women to bulk up. Unless you're taking some kind of supplement - we don't have the testosterone to bulk up. So, don't be afraid to increase your weights. :)
  • chevy88grl
    Options

Hope I could be a help

this was all so helpful!! thank you so much. so you think my NET calories should be 1400-1500 right?

YES! Net calories is what is important.
  • stacyannsmith
    Options
    As said by another MFP:

When I can do 20 reps/3 times at a certain weight - then I know it is time to raise the weights. Higher weights won't cause women to bulk up. Unless you're taking some kind of supplement - we don't have the testosterone to bulk up. So, don't be afraid to increase your weights. :)

Oh haha i know, im not afraid. i just dont have the access to use higher weights right now. anything i do i have to do with my daughter or at home bc my husband is deployed and i live states away from any family. and i cant take her to the gym haha.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    As said by another MFP:

Oh haha i know, im not afraid. i just dont have the access to use higher weights right now. anything i do i have to do with my daughter or at home bc my husband is deployed and i live states away from any family. and i cant take her to the gym haha.

Can you buy some bigger weights? Or no?
  • stacyannsmith
    Options
    As said by another MFP:

Can you buy some bigger weights? Or no?

do you mean bigger dumb bells? i could do that. if thats what you meant. what sizes do you recommend?
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    I totally agree the needing to eat more calories, and you should take at least a day off a week from exercise. Keep in mind too that your body may have changed, and that it's found a good weight for itself.