Tips on how to lose body fat without losing muscle

Options
Im trying to find some ideas or tip that some of you may have on losing body fat but still keeping most of your muscle tissue.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Recomp. But the results aren't noticeable until MAYBE a few months down the road.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • speeno
    speeno Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    To lose fat you have to be in a calorie deficit but it doesn't have to be a big a deficit, you could even eat at your maintenance level and use cardio to create the deficit.
    Include resistance training, if you work muscles your body will want to retain them, keep protein consumption up, manipulate fat and carbs, I prefer medium/high fat and lower carbs.
    You will lose some muscle mass but a small calorie deficit, resistance training and good diet can limit the amount of muscle you lose.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Go slower, eat your protein, and lift heavy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

^ This.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Slow is anywhere from recomp to 1% of your bodyweight per week. There are various studies showing that with protein and training you can retain all of your lbm in a loss (or even gain lbm under the right circumstances). Obviously in the studies some people lost lbm, and others didn't, so your best course of action would be to monitor lbm and adjust your rate of loss down as necessary.
  • Comms0p
    Comms0p Posts: 228 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @ninerbuff & rankinsect - what about supplements? Like creatine, BCAA's? Do they aid in maintaining that muscle mass when doing more HIIT/Circuit-Training? I've read up on them, sound interesting. There are always pros and cons. I do want to get leaner, I've gotten stronger yes, but not much showing (I'm more of a runner as well)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Comms0p wrote: »
    @ninerbuff & rankinsect - what about supplements? Like creatine, BCAA's? Do they aid in maintaining that muscle mass when doing more HIIT/Circuit-Training?

In my opinion, protein supplements are not any better or worse than other protein sources. If you're getting complete protein elsewhere, they aren't needed.

I do use some (Quest protein bars, or protein shakes) but mainly I use them for days where I want to eat a lot of protein-light food and still meet my protein goals. Supplements have high amounts of protein for the calories they have, so they sometimes are a good fit for me. I think it depends on what fits your macros best.
  • titoo_69
    titoo_69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you eveyone for your comments really appreciate it.
  • makhouljoanne
    makhouljoanne Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you keep on exercising and eating right, you will not lose your muscle mass.

I can give you few tips:

-keep on doing strength workout
    -include cardio for at least 20 min after your strength workout
    -stop eating fried and sugary foods
    -eat before and after workout for muscle recovery
    -don't starve yourself and include healthy snacks