When did you start noticing a difference? (strength training)

Options
myssjaxson
myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
How long did it take for you to notice a difference (the slightest difference even) after strength training/toning? Just curious. I know it widely depends, I'm not asking how long it takes, I'm asking for individual curiosity :)

Add: I've lost 56lbs (overall goal being 70lbs) and started calisthenics maybe 3 weeks ago or so. I'm doing crunches, squats, bicycles, mountain climbers, boats and so on with some cardio too and about to start weight lifting. I've noticed a very slight difference lately, others wouldn't be able to tell but just me noticing a bit of a difference. Its nice motivation. :)

Replies

• Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not really strength training, but I started Pilates and daily walks in September. In mid-November (about 12 lbs lost and 2x weekly Pilates) I started to notice a difference in my waistline. In mid-December (about 16 lbs lost + Pilates) I started to notice a real definition in my arms, and my clothes started fitting differently (not only looser, but more streamlined). December is also when others started to notice a difference. Since September, I've gradually increased daily walks from about 2 km a day to anywhere between 5-10 km a day, and have continued doing Pilates 2x a week. Even though I'm still about 12 lbs from my goal weight, the clothes I used to wear at that weight now fit looser than they did then. It's like everything has shifted (in a good way). :smile:
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I noticed a difference in the way I felt after about 2 weeks. I'm at a loss of 26lbs since mid Oct (40ish more to go) and I'm now really starting to see some definition in my arms and I found a 2-pack last week! The guys at the gym that I work with have commented that I'm "shaping up nicely" as well, so it must be starting to become more noticeable.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I started noticing a difference in 1974.
    :smiley:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Day 1.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    That's hard for me to answer. The difference in my actual strength happened pretty quickly. That in itself was enough motivation to keep going because while I didn't SEE a difference, I was able to handle heavier weights so I knew I was progressing.

As far as what's visible, I started out with a pretty high fat percentage, so while I could feel my body firming up, I couldn't see it. I'm down 30lbs now (been lifting for 4mos) and almost at my goal weight. I can see slight definition here and there because I've lost some fat, but it's going to take me a fair amount of time to drop my fat further to really be able to see anything. I will say that since I've been lifting I've dropped inches like crazy.

Anyway, in answer to your question my strength gains started after a few weeks, and what I could feel starting to change was a month or a little longer... I don't expect to visualize any major differences for another 6mos anyway. I think of weightlifting/recomping as a fun ongoing project. Just have fun with it and it will come.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Strength difference- quickly.

Appearance difference- a couple of months (note: I did not modify my dietary habits during that time). The a appearance difference comes in waves.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It took about a month to see any noticeable change. That said, I'm middle aged, so it could be faster for younger people.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I noticed strength gains the second week. I had some dimpled skin that went away really quickly. It's been a little over two months and I am not noticing any change in definition yet, but when I started strength training during a period of time when I was not trying to lose weight, people noticed definition within a few months.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It was easier to climb steps& get into pickup within 1-2 weeks. I was really bad off to start.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    After I started doing somewhat consistent lifting, I noticed strength gains within a few weeks. It took about 3 months before I had any weight gain.
  • spingirldc
    spingirldc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you've also changed your diet, I'd say you notice a difference in a month. You lose inches much faster with strength training.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I was already losing weight - 35 pounds down. No diet change when I started weight training 3 hours a week. I started seeing changes in posture and a thinner waist after 3 weeks. At five weeks - I got a rush of comments from other people and until then no one had noticed the 34lb loss.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Phase One - 1 to 3 weeks - ouch phase - you feels sore.
    Phase Two - 3 to 8 weeks - feel stronger phase - soreness is gone start to feel stronger and notice some physical changes.
    Phase Three - if you're on a deficit, you continue to get stronger, but eventually newbie muscle gains level off - if you're lucky enough to be able to bulk, you get stronger and add muscle.

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Tool maybe 3 months for other people to ask... how often I go to the gym. Before that it was how much weight have u lost.....
  • marsh5224
    marsh5224 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started taking classes very similar to what you are describing about 3 times a week. Then added a free weight class twice a week. I lost a total of 15 inches within 7 weeks. Starting my fifth month now and still losing inches but not as fast of course. I am 5'1 and have about 50 lbs to lose. Highly recommend taking your starting measurements! It keeps me motivated.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Strength gains right away, shoulder & bicep development within first month (I had a good base of muscle to start with). But I didn't have my deficit right. That took me almost a year to get right. When I did, the fat started coming off quickly and I lost 8lbs and several inches since October 1.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Strength gains right away, shoulder & bicep development within first month (I had a good base of muscle to start with). But I didn't have my deficit right. That took me almost a year to get right. When I did, the fat started coming off quickly and I lost 8lbs and several inches since October 1.

when you say you didn't have your deficit right, what do you mean? I'm struggling with quite a bit more to lose, staying in a "moderate" deficit (whatever moderate means) and trying to increase my strength. Reducing my deficit is terrifying at this point with 40-50lbs left to go.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    You should have a moderate deficit. Cut too much and you just end up miserable and likely to binge. It's better for your metabolism, too. I was actually eating too much. I was probably closer to maintenance calories. My wt. went down, up, down. But I got a Fitbit to get a better idea of my TDEE & log my workouts. I eat back most of what MFP gives me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    don't do so many ab exercises, and you'll notice your stomach get flatter quicker. if you do a lot of ab work, your abs will get bigger, giving you the appearance of being fatter/bloated.