Hypoglycemics out there?

Options
Looking for someone dieting to deal with hypoglycemia. Especially interested in support, diet tips, and RECIPES.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had issues with reactive hypoglycaemia for decades. Changing to a very low carb diet took care of the problem. Since I no longer rely on glucose as my primary fuel, I no longer hit BG lows. Fat oxidation seems to be a steadier fuel supply for me. A very LCHF ketogenic diet isn't for everyone though.

Best wishes.
  • N0EXCUSE
    N0EXCUSE Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just make sure I eat balanced and regularly, and not too many high sugar foods (processed). But I still allow myself fruit :)
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've had reactive hypoglycemia since childhood. I'm pretty good at avoiding blood sugar drops if I am paying attention to what I'm eating.

I can't eat carbs by themselves without a decent amount of protein. I usually need half the amount of protein as carbs to prevent a blood sugar drop. This applies to even healthy carbs like whole grains and fruit. So if I have a clementine....I need to eat a piece of cheese with it. Or if I have a serving of brown rice....I need to have a piece of chicken. 40g of carbs requires 20g of protein to "balance" it.

Mine is always worst in the morning. So I try to have the least amount of carbs then. I'm a little more tolerant later in the day.

Also the higher the GI index of a food is....the worse the effect will be for me. So orange juice is hard to balance with eggs....So I just skip the orange juice. Maybe I'll have a clementine instead.
  • Loty_M
    Loty_M Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia too, low carbs and matching my calorie tracker's protein recommendation helps. I have to avoid high sugar fruits like mango etc, spreading your daily protein between 3 meals helps too.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I try and keep off simple/refined sugars unless I use them during a heavy exercise session (the jury is still out as to if they help or hinder me) and eat plenty or protein which seems to level out blood sugar. Total abstinence from simple carbs seems a fair easier maintenance strategy than having just a little as I tend to crave the stuff if I have any and with the resulting dip in Serotonin I do find it hard to control.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when I was 17.

What works for me is to eat frequently ... small snacks ... but keeping my total calories under the limit.
    Exercise also helps because exercise gives me the freedom to eat more.

And I had to experiment to find out what foods worked for me. For example, pears are too high in calories with no staying power whatsoever. I was hungry again within about 20 min. But bananas and fresh juicy mangos seem to last longer.
  • sandypalma
    sandypalma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The second day of my low carb diet i bottomed out. Never experienced it, i was snacking in between. Found out i need more more protein.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I've been hypoglycemic since I was a teenager. If I keep my fiber up it really helps, a lot, with regulating blood sugar. Protein is important, too.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    *Raise of hand.*
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    me!! I'm still trying to figure it out. Eating every 2 hours works best for me, but then I have trouble staying within my calories. It's all a balancing act.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh... Don't know how to keep sugars under control around that time of the month. Eating every few hours just doesn't work. ???