LOTS to lose, long way to go.

Options
Hi all!

Well, I guess I'm one of the many people who looked at their waistline (and other body parts!) this New Year and decided that now was the time to do something about this.

I've been morbidly obese for a long time, and I'm in the position where I need to lose around half my body weight to be in the 'ideal' weight range. Yikes! I weigh 322lbs (yes, that's 23 stone!!), which is bloody massive, and I've deluded myself for too long that I'm fat and happy. I'm not, I'm bloody miserable, and I know that my size is not only causing me great health risks, but affecting my social life and career too.

I've decided that using all the tools and support I can get is the way to go, so I've bought myself a diary so I can jot all my thoughts down as I go, and I've signed up here to get started. Hopefully, chatting to some of you good folk will help me get through this huge battle.

I know that I need to be sensible to start with, and just start eating 2000 calories a day. To be as heavy as I am, I probably haven't done that in a long time, so this I'm starting sensibly before I try anything else.

I've told my partner, and the people I work with that I'm going for it this year, and they've all been really supportive. The ladies in my office have decided to support me by removing all the cakes and biscuits and bringing in healthier snacks for themselves too, which is really quite lovely of them. I haven't told my friends yet, and I know this will sound weird, but sometimes they try to be too helpful. Does that make sense? I need to get through this in my own time, and need to deal with the emotions and physical stuff that I'll inevitably go through at my own pace. I'll tell them in time, but right now I think I need time to consider what happens next.

Losing weight is an emotional thing for me though. Its not just my eating habits that I need to change, its how I think. I've used food as a tool, as a weapon, as a comfort etc over the years, and I know I need to stop doing that. When I get upset, instead of going for the snacks, I need to go for a walk instead. When I'm going through bouts of depression (something I've lived with and been treated for since I was a teenager), I need to ask for support, instead of trying to self medicate with food (and sometimes alcohol).

I'm hoping that this year will be a positive one for me, and that with the right support I keep on taking those small steps. This is going to be a long fight for me, it will take me a long time to lose the weight, but I just need to keep at it.

I'm looking forward to offering support to others where I can, and hopefully having some fun along the way.

Replies

• stephanierusso680
    Options
    I'm here with you on this journey. We have to get ride of the sweets, the bread, and the sugary drinks my friend. Good luck on your journey!!!!
  • Frisky221
    Frisky221 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not that far away from your story. I would love to be here as we both take this journey.....but how the heck do you add friends? ☺
  • kcsunshine17
    kcsunshine17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Completely understand where you are coming from. I joined today and also have a lot of weight to lose. Slowly but surely with realistic goals and expectations is how I'm approaching it. Good luck. Hope we both get there!
  • quelgian
    quelgian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also could lose half my weight so I understand your challenge. My best to you.
  • luvme02
    luvme02 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have so much in common with you. I have to change my way of thinking about food and that is the hardest part. My addiction to food has really taken over. It's like alcoholism but only with food. I hope to find the support too. I am here if you need a friend
  • luvme02
    Options
    Completely understand where you are coming from. I joined today and also have a lot of weight to lose. Slowly but surely with realistic goals and expectations is how I'm approaching it. Good luck. Hope we both get there!

• luvme02
    Options
    Right there with you!
  • agoffa
    agoffa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position, need to lose half my body weight and I joined this community looking for support from people in the same position that can understand how hard it is to deal with obesity.

I have isolated myself as a result of my obesity and my eating habits because I feel really uncomfortable with myself and being judged by others, among other things. So I hope to find here people in the same situation and create some kind of community to help each other go through this difficult journey.

Also I have no idea on how to add friends so feel free to add while I learn how to do it.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Frisky221 wrote: »
    I'm not that far away from your story. I would love to be here as we both take this journey.....but how the heck do you add friends? ☺

Hiya Frisky, I've added you as a friend :)
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    quelgian wrote: »
    I also could lose half my weight so I understand your challenge. My best to you.

If you want some moral support, feel free to add me as a friend. Strength in numbers :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I started at basically the same place - 319 lb as of early last summer. Currently a few pounds under 250.

Feel free to send me any questions you have or advice you'd like - I can share what is working for me.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    luvme02 wrote: »
    I have so much in common with you. I have to change my way of thinking about food and that is the hardest part. My addiction to food has really taken over. It's like alcoholism but only with food. I hope to find the support too. I am here if you need a friend

I've had real difficulty in the past when people I've spoken to about me trying to lose weight have scoffed at the idea that food can be an addiction. It definitely can. I can honestly say I get withdrawal symptoms in the early stage of dieting, especially with sugary food. I crave it so badly, but I know that its so easy to slip back into bad habits. I can't cut sugar out completely, but I know that I have to work hard to moderate in the early stages, but I'm hoping it gets easier with time.
    I've added you as a friend, lets try and kick this together!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @BigChangeNeeded - way to go! You've taken some major steps, and you've definitely got this.

Something that helped me as I started out was to be reminded that I might have had a lot to lose, but it wasn't going to come off over night. I didn't put in on all at once and I shouldn't expect to lose it all at once. Instead, I was advised to make smaller goals and to celebrate the victories those goals represented as I hit them. So, at first my goals were 10 pounds. Each time I hit a milestone, it was a reminder that I COULD do this. I"d hit a goal and then set another one. Sometimes I'd slip up, but that was (and is) totally okay as long as I shook it off and kept trying.

Another thing that helped me was the realization that no food had to be 'off-limits'. I made a lifestyle change, and I hope you are too. Really think about how you're going to eat for the rest of your life. If you're never going to eat certain foods again, by all means, cut them out of your diet. I couldn't do that, though. I had to be allowed to still have certain foods (cookies, chips, beer, ice cream) or I knew I wouldn't stick to it. So I"ve lost all the weight I need to lose, all the while allowing myself reasonable portions of the foods I love both while I was losing and even now in maintenance.

:flowerforyou: I wish you luck, skills and perseverance. :)
  • ShawnaElston
    ShawnaElston Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I, too have a long way to go... I am doing a two week Shred Power Cleanse at the moment. It is a jump start to getting this done. Today is the first day. Something Dr. Ian Smith wrote on the first page for this week stands out. "Regardless of how great the architectural wonder, it all started with one brick or one stone." In other words, one meal, one day, one pound. I get overwhelmed looking at the big picture, but I can do one meal, one day and one pound. I could use some buddies in the same spot! I'll do my best to support anyone because I know how isolating and lonely it can be to be obese...even with people all around you! I'm sending friend requests..we can do this!
  • Bekzie82
    Bekzie82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Our stories sound very similar too! I used this app last year and managed to lose over 2 stone but due to an illness put it all back on again! So I'm here to try again and keep it off this time ☺good luck, I know you will reach your goals!
  • LynchusDaVincus
    LynchusDaVincus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too told myself I was 'happy' even though I knew I was putting on weight. I made all of the excuses I could possibly think of, from blaming the effect that pregnancy had on my body, to telling myself that clearly I was just 'built this way'. It was only in the last couple of years that I accepted that my increase in weight was down to my bad eating habits, and though I had the suicide of my mother to deal with, the comfort eating was just creating another issue which would take its toll later. I just lack good eating practices. I get lazy and rather than make something healthy or think things through, I head for the biscuits and cola.
    The kicker for me was when I had a group photo taken at University with 4 of my classmates as we are working on an assignment together, and I was the 'biggest'. That title has never been taken by me previously, and it opened my eyes.
    Wishing you loads of positivity and will power because I know it's hard, and good for you taking the first step to do something about it :smile:
  • healthilyeverafter13
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, needing to lose half of my body weight (with at least a good 70+ pounds in order to begin fertility treatments... ack!) -- I've been on MFP for quite a while and have waves of success where I lose 10-15 pounds or so and then I fall off the wagon and gain 20 back. It's a battle every day to eat only when I'm hungry, and to make the right food choices, and not get bored, and... etc. I also have PCOS, which makes it that much harder. So I'm with ya! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • erikarunsforherlife
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat! I have 100lb to lose and I've been trying for ages and I can't get out of my head about the food I eat! I would love to have some friends in this journey!
  • Jesslynn3282
    Jesslynn3282 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as well! I have really been disgusted with myself ....I came back on a few months ago really motivated to lose the weight I gained was good for a few weeks lost 8 lbs....but now I have gained least 5 of that back within these last couple of weeks by not tracking. Feel free to add me...I def need to lose the weight this time for good.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm here for you. I'm on a similar journey but I started with a higher weight then you. Before the holidays I was down 80lbs. I'm up 25lbs. I'm not happy that I went back to my old ways but starting today I'm back on track. Friend me and we can help motivate and support each other.