Heart Surgery and A second Chance at life.

Options
Hi just thought id say gday, great app im finding its working really well for me.

Little bit of background.
40 years old , 6ft 4in, and around 130kg I do martial arts twice a week, fairly active, married with 2 little boys.and i used to smoke!

On may 11 i had a heart attack at work, with no warning whatsoever, just felt a pressure on my chest and felt hot.
Called an ambulance and arrested in the ambulance on the way to hospital. Very bloody scary!
Seems i had a blocked artery and that was the cause.
Had an angioplasty and had a stint put in . Apparently now its as good as new, although i dont feel 100% yet.

Have given up smoking from the day it happened, easy when the other option is dying i guess! Changed my diet slightly because i pretty much ate the right things anyway apart from Iced coffees daily and fast food for lunch a lot of the time. Also started riding my MTB again every 2nd day , dunno why i stopped, i love it! Also im back at Karate training , but just taking it easy

I have now lost a few KGs and can definitely feel and see the difference. My goal weight is to be about 105kg or 100kg. i did balloon over 140kg about 9 months ago. I WILL NEVER GET TO THAT SIZE AGAIN!

I am very thank full for the fact i get a second chance at life, it was bloody close there for a moment and i want to live till im an old man and see my kids have kids. I will do everything i can to accomplish that.

Good luck everyone, and for those giving up smoking, stick to it, I know its hard , but you can do it!

Replies

• ugh1
    ugh1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cool. Smoking sucks, kudos to you for realizing its consequences.
  • ItsMeMaryW
    ItsMeMaryW Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to you and so glad you got a second chance. I didn't have a heart attack but I was headed for one if I didn't change. I know people say this all the time but if I can do this, anyone can. Have stuggled with weight all my life. I will beat it this time!
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    amazing story.......good luck to you on your journey of health. your family is blessed!
  • eedman
    eedman Posts: 7
    Options
    Forgot to mention i am now saving nearly $400 a month not buying cigarettes.

I feel like an idiot for doing what i have done to my body and my wallet.

Making the change now!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Second chances are amazing aren't they? You have a ton of motivation to be healthy. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm so glad you are getting this second chance, and that you have such a great attitude towards it! You will find this a very supportive, wonderful community!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'm an ex smoker too. it's hard, aye. but exercisisng more makes quitting easier! it's hard to bike when you're coughing up a lung. my hubby's a mtb'er- downhill and north shore. i run, myself. which was difficult at 106kgs and 5 foot 2! but now i'm 90kgs. still 5 foot 2 though!
    my motivation is the same as yours- i'm scared that i'll never see my grandkids. never got as close as you though. a heart attack at 40 sounds scary.
    good on you though for doing something about it. if you need any extra motivation to keep going, give me a yell. i've got enough drive at the moment for about 5 people!
  • eedman
    eedman Posts: 7
    Options
    amazing story.......good luck to you on your journey of health. your family is blessed!
    I think so!