Weekend Help!!!

Options
Hi Everyone:

I am new to MFP and am enjoying it. Everyone seems to be so nice and willing to help, I don't know about all of you but I have always had difficulties staying on track on the weekends.I can diet and exercise like a champ during the week:happy: , but the weekends are a different story.:frown:

I was wondering if you may have some strategies for staying on track on the weekends?

Thanks for listening :flowerforyou:
Carol

Replies

• cmore135
    cmore135 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone:

I am new to MFP and am enjoying it. Everyone seems to be so nice and willing to help, I don't know about all of you but I have always had difficulties staying on track on the weekends.I can diet and exercise like a champ during the week:happy: , but the weekends are a different story.:frown:

I was wondering if you may have some strategies for staying on track on the weekends?

Thanks for listening :flowerforyou:
    Carol
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I try to lose that weekend "Free For All" mentality. The way I did that was....I weigh myself on Sunday morning's as official weigh in day.

So what I do on Friday and Saturday food wise really matters.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard but try not to think about it. Start drinking your water first thing in the morning and maybe that will start you in the right direction. Eat fruits and veggies and find as many things healthy as you can to eat within your calorie limits. Don't give in to your temptations! You can do this!!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    I try to lose that weekend "Free For All" mentality. The way I did that was....I weigh myself on Sunday morning's as official weigh in day.

So what I do on Friday and Saturday food wise really matters.

That's a good idea. But I sure like to eat some good food on the weekend.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    Just writing to say that I can relate. Unfortunately, I don't have any strategies either. At the moment, I am sitting at my computer and feeling so lazy that I feel hypocritical trying to give you a pep talk. I'll do it anyway and maybe I'll motivate myself! LOL.

How about non-stop motion - errands, cleaning, exercising? Create reasons to get out of the house or to keep moving. If all else fails, sit here and type or pick up the phone and talk so you can't eat.

Actually, I think I'll use this time to look for recipes on mfpthat I've been meaning to try and maybe use this week-end to experiment with healthier options. At least this is a good time to get organized and start thinking about ways to cook/eat and exercise for a healtheir and leaner new you in the new year.
    Zaza
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Maybe try watching a movie instead of watching tv. There are so many food commercials these days, and I know they make me want to get up and go to the kitchen. But obviously, you have to cautious of the movie you pick too.

Drink lots of water and stay busy. You are less likely to stop for snacks.

Think of all us at home supporting you. Know that we are trying to get through the weekend, just like you.
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    I am on the same page. I am also knew to MFP and this is my first weekend after a great week of meeting goals and eating healthy. I overate a bit at dinner last night, which means i just have to go to the gym for some extra time to work the extra cals off.

I am proud of myself because I got up this morning and the 1st thing i did was make my oatmeal and tea that i eat and drink every morning! I think eating a nice breakfast helps to offset the "hungrY' later in the day. So if you havent already eaten a good breakfast, go do it now and drink a cup of water or 2! You'll feel better! Then, keep youself busy and stay away from the TV (aka SOUL SUCKER!) Get outside, go to the gym, do some exercise at home or go for a nice walk. Get you errands done (pack a snack or 2 so you are not tempted to "run thru" fast food.)

I find if everything is "planned" it takes the worry out of eating. I have pre-packed lunches and dinners in the fridge so i dont have to worry about what I can eat, and plenty of pre-packed snacks.

You can do it!
  • Condor39
    Options
    I think burning more calories is the key. I can indulge a bit on the weekend so long as my exercise is adjusted, either by working out a bit longer or at a higher intensity level. It is also a good time to try and mix up the exercise routine with something that may take a bit more time than the work week allows. The best part is, often after a good workout, I find I am less interested in eating that high calorie meal I was craving and I feel good about staying focused.

Regardless, as long as you are working at it, trying to exercise and watch what you eat, you are doing far more than if not. Good luck to everyone and have a good weekend.
  • deamarie
    Options
    Staying busy works for me too! Clean some toilets....that will keep your mind out of the kitchen. I have also found that doing a killer Sat morning routine keeps me grounded for the rest of the day...Body Pump and Spin usually does it!
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Good thread - I see you already had some great advice. I can make a few more suggestions:

Have a few things "scheduled" (a walk or bike-ride, a window shopping trip...) so that you aren't as likely to eat just because there's nothing else to do.

My nutritionist gave me this one - first thing after you get up, and before you brush your teeth, squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a glass, add stevia or Splenda (or your fave) and room temperature water, and drink. It helps just a little in suppressing appetite during the day and helps with digestion.

Someone already mentioned cleaning frenzies - that works for me, too, if I don't have "out of the house" plans.

Chew sugarless gum. Trident has an orange flavored one that keeps its flavor for an impressive couple of hours.

And lastly, if you do go out with friends, do your best, but don't wear yourself out kicking yourself in the rear if you eat more than your typical workweek (there is no cardio entry for "self-administered butt-kicking"). I'm not saying to plan to binge..., just that if you do, compensate with a long walk or some other activity.
  • cecsav
    cecsav Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try to fit in your workout wherever you can through the day, be it a walk around the neighborhood or going out dancing (just watch those calories if you're at a bar!). Do some strength training before bed or even better, try a yoga workout, it will really relax you! Also, try finding a workout buddy, if you're accountable to someone else, you'll be that much more likely to follow through. If you have kids, find an activity with which you can include them: play tag, throw a football, even go bowling. Incorporate fun into your workouts, and you won't even know you're working out!

Try www.exercisetv.tv for free streaming routines; if you sign up for their "New year, new you" (FREE!) they'll even e-mail you downloadable workouts daily!

Hope this helps!

C
  • donna100
    donna100 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Weekends! Try Pampering yourself. Try things that you don't have time for through out the week. try a new hair style, a different way to wear your make up, a facial, do your nails, take bath, give your hair a hot oil treatment.
    We worked our body all week long trying to change the way it looks, the weekend could be a way to not only add extra exercise, but also pamper ourselves and the whole time remind yourself you did a great job and you are worth it and you are gearing up for yet another successful week!

And I agree with the prepared food, spend Sunday planning, shopping, and preparing your food for the week. I measure everything out put them in ziplock bags and every morning I grab everything I need for the day and put it in my lunchbox cooler and go. Then I watch the clock to remind me to eat.

Good Luck this weekend to everyone!
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same way so I changed the days and ways I worked out .

This is what my weekly routine looks like:

Monday- Gym- Treadmill 1/2 hr, Water Aerobics 1 hour
    Tuesday- Gym- Treadmill 1/2 hr, Bike 1/2 hour
    Wednesday- Gym- Treadmill 1/2 hour, Water Aerobics 1 hour
    Thursday- Off- Catch up on cleaning the house, errands, ect
    Friday- Gym- Treadmill 1/2 hour, Strength training
    Saturday- different physical activity each week (this week its a 5 mile hike at the park)
    Sunday- Off- Catch up on cleaning, errands, ect.

Anyway... I keep busy 1 day during the weekend and take a day off during the week, that way Im still motivated come Monday since Ive only had 1 day off and not 2. If i cant find something physical to do on Saturday, I hit the gym for an hour. Either way, staying active is what keeps me motivated on the weekends. I also feel less deprived if we do happen to go out Saturday evening for dinner somewhere because i know I got in good exercise that day.
  • cmore135
    cmore135 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

Your help and tips did help me. Yesterday when I got up I had the same breakfast as I have during the week. I also took snacks with me so I would not be tempted if we went out. I didn't get a work out in yesterday but I did and extra 1/2 hour today.

There are some great tips I plan to use to help me on the weekends

You guys are Great :flowerforyou:

Thank you Carol
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I feel like such a fraud. I blew it this week-end. No willpower and no discipline (translation - I overate and didn't ecercise much at all) So, I'm just turning this off and going to do the elliptical for a little while.
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I feel like such a fraud. I blew it this week-end. No willpower and no discipline (translation - I overate and didn't ecercise much at all) So, I'm just turning this off and going to do the elliptical for a little while.

The most important thing is to do a you-turn and get back on track. You can do it!! We all need to do that once in a while.
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    I also struggle on the weekends so I make sure to do extra gym time!