How to tighten skin?

I lost a ton of weight rapidly through diet and exercise. However, my stomach hangs from skin. How long before it goes away and tips?
«1

Replies

  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,772 Member
    Sometime between a few years and never, unfortunately.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Mine never firmed up. *shrug*
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,493 Member
    Search MFP for "loose skin", "lose skin", and "baggy skin" . This topic comes up at least once a month and there are TONS of threads about it. Unfortunately, the consensus seems to be that if you have any luck at all it will take a long time!
  • Cheesasaur
    Cheesasaur Posts: 15 Member
    I've had some luck with getting my (admittedly, minimal) loose skin to firm up a bit by using a derma roller - basically rolling hundreds of tiny needles on myself over and over again. It's a pretty intense tactic, but I have a high pain tolerance and I'm happy with the results. My stretch marks have also gotten a lot smoother and lighter.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    From all the reading I did a few years back it takes about 2 to 5 years depending on age and exercise. I am on my fifth year and I can finally tell it is vanishing. It is almost gone. Don't focus on it because it is very slow going and can be very frustrating. But it eventually will go a way if you keep working at it.
  • Kip2malu
    Kip2malu Posts: 1 Member
    I have had good luck with wrapping, like from ItWorks. I know some people expect to wrap INSTEAD of changing their eating and exercise are disappointed when using those products. But for me, it has helped firm my problem areas like under my arms and my waist and helped keep my motivation up.
  • lnrussell195
    lnrussell195 Posts: 33 Member
    How many wraps? Did it come back?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,772 Member
    How many wraps? Did it come back?

    That stuff is snake oil, don't waste your money.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Plastic surgery.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Drink your water, lotion, and luck, and genetics, and time. Or surgery. THere is no magic potion. THe wraps are only a temporary fix, but despite what most people here will say, they work TEMPORARILY! I repeat TEMPORARILY.
    The skin will go back to its former state after a bit. The "bit" depends on the person and skin and # of applications. I DO NOT SELL WRAPS OR ENDORSE THEM I AM JUST GIVING AN HONEST ANSWER BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. :)

    Sorry for the caps, I just know how quickly people will pounce on me for telling you all this. :) Much love and success to ya!
  • sarabreck
    sarabreck Posts: 16 Member
    Hydrate, exfoliate and wait! Nothing else to do that will last. I'm struggling with this too, especially since I recently started dating someone new. I was actually more confident naked when I was fatter. I'm going to commit to yoga 3 times a week and hope that building lean muscle will pull some of it in.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    If and when your skin tightens depends on how much and how long it was stretched and your age, for instance. I am 60 year old female. I lost 50plus pounds in about 5 months....had terrible bat wings and a stomach lap-over. I started bicep and tricep curls and my batwings are smaller, but I doubt they will leave completely. My tummy is wrinkly, but the lap-over is disappearing now that I have very little fat left on me...... But wrinkly saggy is better than pudgy fatty...... More healthy too!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,221 Member
    How many wraps? Did it come back?

    They don't work. They only manage to remove water from that area.

    Lose weight slowly, lift weights to keep your muscle, time.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 270 Member
    I agree that most of it will not go away, it depends a lot on your age, also how much weight you lose. Hydration is important, and moisturizing, slow and steady weight loss might be better than a really fast one, giving the skin time to recover a bit.But I agree=a bit wrinkly is better than being pudgy, unhealthy, breathless, on meds etc. Just be proud that you lost the weight. :)
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    If after you've tried everything else & you still have loose skin I've heard that cavi lipo is good for tightening skin. You should google it & see it that could be an option for you.
  • hedkie
    hedkie Posts: 25 Member
    seems to be something that's easier to prevent than to fix. i have had good luck preventing with a combination of super-hydration, heavy moisturizing, compression garments, and not losing that fast to begin with (lol)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,930 Member
    I had a kilo of skin removed from tummy and abs last June... Too overweight for too long. my skin was shot as I carried most of my weight on my front torso and would never go back on its own.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 46,321 Member
    Cheesasaur wrote: »
    I've had some luck with getting my (admittedly, minimal) loose skin to firm up a bit by using a derma roller - basically rolling hundreds of tiny needles on myself over and over again. It's a pretty intense tactic, but I have a high pain tolerance and I'm happy with the results. My stretch marks have also gotten a lot smoother and lighter.
    This tactic doesn't affect the dermis, nor does it retract tissue. Inflames it yes, but inflamed tissue doesn't solve the issue. And the effect is temporary.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 46,321 Member
    Kip2malu wrote: »
    I have had good luck with wrapping, like from ItWorks. I know some people expect to wrap INSTEAD of changing their eating and exercise are disappointed when using those products. But for me, it has helped firm my problem areas like under my arms and my waist and helped keep my motivation up.
    Wraps are temporary and topical. Does NOT affect the dermis itself. It didn't "firm" up any area because it doesn't affect muscle tissue.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • lnrussell195
    lnrussell195 Posts: 33 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Kip2malu wrote: »
    I have had good luck with wrapping, like from ItWorks. I know some people expect to wrap INSTEAD of changing their eating and exercise are disappointed when using those products. But for me, it has helped firm my problem areas like under my arms and my waist and helped keep my motivation up.
    Wraps are temporary and topical. Does NOT affect the dermis itself. It didn't "firm" up any area because it doesn't affect muscle tissue.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Can you name some excersize routines you recommend. I'm 20 so I'm up for anything.