Fitbit advice

Options
Was wondering if anyone has any advice. . Was going to buy a Fitbit & when I looked into it seen there are a lot of different variations & options. What 1 is the best? Or is there other 1st other than fitbits? Any help would be appreciated as I have no idea! Thanks

Replies

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It really depends what you want to get out of it. I had a zip for a long time and found it did everything I wanted. It is the most basic and least expensive version, but it was accurate and very unobtrusive. The only downside to me was that the battery wasn't rechargeable and I was starting to spend a lot of money replacing batteries. So when it quit working completely, I switched to the One, the next step up. It is the other non-wrist version. I love it. I can recharge the battery. It also counts stairs, but that wasn't a necessary feature for me and I maintained a fairly accurate deficit just fine with the Zip.

If you really think you'd like to monitor sleep, would prefer something on your wrist, then you go with the other options. Then there is the one with the HR monitor. Some people really like it. I haven't personally found it necessary. I've been syncing my fitbit with MFP for 16 months and my projected rate of loss has matched up with actual. HR monitors really only work with steady state cardio, for which the fitbit estimations are pretty good even without knowing your heart rate.
  • cassieknights951
    cassieknights951 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit flex and couldn't live without it now
    Tells me how much sleep I am getting, links with MFP for calerie's burned and is easy to log weightloss etc
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a Flex and love it. The band tends to wear out but you can put the actual fitbit tracker in your pocket and it still tracks.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I own a Zip, a Charge and a Charge HR. The Zip is very basic. The Charge is worn on the wrist, and has a display screen. It measures steps, stairs climbed, active minutes, calories burned, and sleep quality. The Charge and the Charge HR are essentially the same, except that the HR monitors heart rate, and uses heart rate as part of the equation on how many calories were used. I prefer the Charge, but some people don't like how the sensors shine 24/7.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Among the various Fitbits and other brand trackers, there are different features. Read up on them and think about what matters to you. I can tell you what is best for me but that might not be the best for you.

Do you want to wear it on your wrist, or clip to your clothing?
    Do you need it to have a heart rate function for cardio?
    Do you need it to have a water proof/water resistant feature?
    Do you want it to track more than your steps?
    Do you want it to sync to MFP? (Many do now, but not necessarily all.)
    Do you have a compatible phone and/or easy access to a computer for regular syncing? If not you'll probably want something that displays a good deal of info on the device itself.

Those are some things I can think of, I'm sure there are more.
    laurac2605 wrote: »
    Was wondering if anyone has any advice. . Was going to buy a Fitbit & when I looked into it seen there are a lot of different variations & options. What 1 is the best? Or is there other 1st other than fitbits? Any help would be appreciated as I have no idea! Thanks

• CarrieA180
    CarrieA180 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Do you like wearing watches? I hated wearing the Fitbit Charge HR as a watch. It went back to the store... I love the Fitbit One. If it wasnt for the app and tracking, I would forget I'm wearing it. Rechargeable battery last a few days. It does what I need it to do, track steps. :)
  • laurac2605
    laurac2605 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ok great thanks everyone! I had been looking at the flex as I have a habit of loosing things so thought would be better for me wearing it on my wrist! Sounds great for what I would need it for. Really just want it to track exercise, steps & calories. :)
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I received a Charge for Mothers day and would difinately buy it for myself twice over if anything happened to it...

I don't so much care about the sleep tracker or the stairs (seeing as it goes off altitude so if you drive up and down hills it will count them as stairs climbed) but the steps, calories burned, and active minutes are what I pay attention too and what challenges me to do more everyday!
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you do cardio, I'd recommend something with continuous heart rate monitoring whether its Fitbit or another brand. That way you'll know how many calories you've burned.
  • laurac2605
    Options
    Yeh that sounds good!! I'm trying to be more active & think this will help.
  • Tiabessa63
    Tiabessa63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I received a Fitbit Surge for Christmas. I originally wanted the Polar A360 but since it isn't readily available and my bf is an engineer, he researched it to death and I ended up with the Surge. It's big for a watch but once I got used to it, I've been fine. I love being able to track everything, sleep, heart rate, steps, etc. It does make me more aware of what I'm doing for myself. I wear it 24/7, unless I'm in the shower.
  • laurac2605
    Options
    Ok great thanks. That will probably be better for when I'm at classes at the gym it would be more accurate.
    TarahByte wrote: »
    If you do cardio, I'd recommend something with continuous heart rate monitoring whether its Fitbit or another brand. That way you'll know how many calories you've burned.