late night hunger

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds counter-intuitive, and not everyone is like this, but if I don't get a solid breakfast with adequate protein, I get all crave-y and snack-y at night.

You may want to experiment with how you distribute your food throughout the day, and with the composition of your diet, to see what *you* find most filling & satisfying.

Some people do better with a bigger breakfast (like me), some with 3 evenly-sized meals, some a bigger supper to stave off evening cravings. Some people do better with 5 or 6 smaller meals, some with 3 meals & a couple snacks. Some benefit from saving up calories for times of craving. There are people who find protein keeps them filled up and satisfied, others prefer carbs in a substantial form (like a baked potato), some feel filled up on fiber or volume (cabbage, broccoli, etc.), others really need some fats (think reasonable portions of healthy fats like nuts or avocado). See what works for you. Try a variation for a few days before rejecting it.

And +1 to consider a higher calorie allowance. Unless you're very tiny, and not very overweight at all, you can lose on higher calories . . . and if a way of eating isn't sustainable, it won't be successful. I vote for starting at a little higher allowance, taking it slowly at first, experimenting to see what meal distribution/composition keeps you satisfied . . . then you can reduce calories further if you feel you're not losing fast enough.

Use the weight loss process as a learning experience to help you find a sustainable way of eating that will keep you at a healthy weight permanently. People who are in a giant rush to lose weight, actually lose a learning opportunity, and may be more likely to gain the weight back.

Hope you find a route that works for you!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Total daily calories TOO LOW.
    You are not eating enough during the day, therefore getting hungry. I would up to 1,300. Also, nice job on the protein intake. I would eat furniture and the walls if I ate only 1,100 a day. The cats would be in danger.
  • AngelaMiller3
    AngelaMiller3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i never eat before noon since im usually not up im a night owl go to bed about 3 a.m. ......i had dinner an hour ago and now im hungry but if i don't eat like just skip dinner im ok...Im not real good at this iv'e never been one to really watch my weight like i said ive weighed the same my whole life between 180 and 200 ..i do know my thyroid is still pretty off because im unemployed and have no insurance i can' afford the 100 dollar blood test
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Have set alarm for 5.30pm daily. Gives me chance to eat. After that I don't eat until breakfast. Gives body a 12 hour fast
  • drywall_painter
    drywall_painter Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yes I used 1 scoop of 6 star whey protein, 1teaspoon of xantham gum and 3/4 cup of skim milk.1

Oh yeah yeah. Try casein then. When I first started I was using ON chocolate, now I use PEScience whey/casein blend and it works just as well even though it's a mixture.

I just made the protein fluff with casein protein, I didn't think 1 scoop was gonna be enough but it was all I could eat ! I'm definitely adding this to my arsenal !