Help! How do you wean yourself off of excessive butter/margarine use?

Options
aquilisrose
aquilisrose Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hello! I really struggle with this. Growing up my family put gobs of butter and margarine in everything, and the salty fatty flavour always tasted so good! Now that I am trying to eat better and lose weight, I feel like nothing tastes as good without it and am always tempted to add it in. Any tips? Alternatives?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding salt?
  • aquilisrose
    Options
    Yes, but I recently went for tests and my doctor told me I had high blood pressure and to lower my sodium intake. I have tried the fake salts but all have a bitter aftertaste.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Try adding avocado or hummus instead.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sodium is sodium whether it comes from salt or butter. Have you tried any of the lower calorie margarines?
  • hscherzer
    hscherzer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with using things like spicy things like salsa or hot sauce. Or hummus or peanut butter to spread on wraps or breads. I like to use avocado to spread on toast with a squeeze of lime juice. Make sure to measure it all - so you don't go overboard. You could always squeeze lemon and/or lime juice on the veggies. I would stick to natural things - like spices and herbs instead of fake salts. You might need some time to get used to what things taste like without all the butter/salt and extra things on them. Give yourself sometime and get rid of butter in your house - so you aren't tempted to overuse it.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Experiment with different spices. Cumin is one of my favorites. Thyme and Rosemary are up there too.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Experiment with different spices. Cumin is one of my favorites. Thyme and Rosemary are up there too.

Yup. That's how I stopped eating so much butter, add more spices.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Use 1/2 as much.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How much butter are you eating? A tablespoon is about 100 calories. I eat a lot of Indian food, so I regularly eat butter. Overall 2 tablespoons of butter in a multiple serving dish is not a diet buster for me.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Im also a closet butter fiend, cottage cheese could be your friend here. Nice on toast or jacket spuds. When trying to be good I have less butter and more marmalade on my toast at breakfast. The other thing is to switch to foods that requires less butter in the first place - muesli? ;)
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Lemon will give the effect of salt on certain foods (obviously this will not work on some foods).
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I just gave up eating butter -- I would rather use my calories elsewhere. I have been using mustard on my food instead, and I really like it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Spices, flavorings...

I use a lot of mayo. But I found that mixing some with mustard in, reduces the "needs more" mayo.

Mix your butter with garlic, or cumin (yum!)....chili powder....sriracha sauce.....whatever
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just use less? I used to overuse olive oil and just reduced the amount I used, and found it was fine.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not tried it but heard that olive oil hardened on a plate in the fridge can make a butter substitute.
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use a butter flavored spray from Trader Joe's that is really good! (pam also makes a version) I use it mainly on my toast and sweet potatoes, but it's very versatile.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but the low fat margarines are just disgusting. My crave is buttered toast, and all the low fat margarines do is soggify the bread. Not at all the same kick.

What I have done over time is slowly reduce the amount of butter I'm spreading on the bread/toast. I'll also switch out the butter to peanut butter or laughing cow light wedge, watching the portions of course.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I laughed when I saw the title of this thread. I always joke to my husband that left to my own devices I would DRINK butter.

I've read that excessive fat cravings are due to the body not having the right fat balance. That may be true but butter for me is a texture + salt + fat thing. I like cold butter.....on bread. So that I have to bite into it and it melts on my tongue.

You know what I did? Stopped eating BREAD. That nipped it. I don't want butter unless it's on a cracker/muffin/bread roll. I introduced flat breads back in my diet after the butter jonesing calmed down. I also don't buy regular butter anymore either. Just the whipped yogurt stuff.

Between my husband and I we would go through a stick of butter a week when there was bran muffins around.

I don't buy bran muffins anymore either
  • aquilisrose
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I will certainly
    Try your tips and see how it goes!