Joining the community, Type 2 Diabetes, newly diagnosed

Options
I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes in June 2015. I visited a Nutritionist and learned a lot. No dieting, just lifestyle changes, today I have lost 23 pounds since I started keeping track 4 months ago! I had a goal of 250 lbs by Christmas and beat the schedule by a week!

Replies

• Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Good job. You can do this and it will change your life. If you are looking for friends, you can add me. I post most every day and have no plans to stop.
  • joanmcdowall
    joanmcdowall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great work. Well done!
  • joannedawn2015
    joannedawn2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well done u have inspired me to stick with this journey ☃
  • scrpn468
    scrpn468 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need help....as a type 2 diabetic I'm confused on how much protein and carbs I should have a day. What was planned for me by "My Fitness Pal" seemed high but I'm not finding a definite number to use. Zitro 101what were you told?? Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give.
  • nurse_moni
    nurse_moni Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    scrpn468 wrote: »
    I need help....as a type 2 diabetic I'm confused on how much protein and carbs I should have a day. What was planned for me by "My Fitness Pal" seemed high but I'm not finding a definite number to use. Zitro 101what were you told?? Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give.
    I am a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic. I had gestational diabetes with each of my pregnancies and was able to control my sugar with diet only. The best advice I can give you in regard to how many carbohydrates you should eat is to experiment with foods to see how your body best responds. There was (and still is not) a set number of carbs that I could eat every day. I found that in the mornings I had to eat a low number until my metabolism cranked up for the day. As the day goes on I can add in more carbs at each meal and my body responds better. The types of carbs that you eat also will affect your blood sugar. Processed foods are mostly simple sugars that release sugar quickly into the bloodstream. Sugars found in fruits and vegetables digest slower (veggies are best for slower sugar release) and will raise your blood sugar more slowly. It also really helps my blood sugars to eat several small meals instead of three larger meals. As far as the protein goes, I have never really given myself a daily limit. I just make sure I have something with protein at each meal to keep me full and satisfied until time for the next meal. Have you seen a nutritionist? You can learn a lot from meeting with a nutritionist, but you will have to learn how your body best responds. Good luck!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place. Tons of support here and I think there are groups for members with diabetes. I wish you the best!
  • rayjay768
    rayjay768 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does my fitness pal have a feature that allows you to track medications, blood sugars and insulin? Currently I go back and forth between this and my net diary but would like to use one.