107 Pounds down in 18 weeks!

Options
fitmissbliss
fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
edited January 2016 in Success Stories
This is my first post as an actual thread and I must confess I'm a bit nervous. But, here goes.

My name is Courtney, and as of Jan 1 2016, I have officially lost 100 pounds! As of 8/28/2015 I made the scariest decision of my life: I had weight loss surgery. I opted for the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. For years, I've been yo-yoing back and forth losing 35-45 pounds and then gaining back 40-50. As of this past summer, I sat at 5'9, 299 pounds wearing a size 24. I had recently gained (yet again) all the weight I had lost through MFP and was incredibly disheartened. Add to this that my somewhat well controlled high blood pressure was climbing and my meds had been doubled, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, and I was less than a year out from facing the hardest thing I had ever faced- stage 3 uterine cancer and treatment. I was desperate for a healthy body and a new lease on life- desperate enough to be willing to risk my own life and seek medical intervention for my obesity and subsequent health issues.

The first 5 weeks after my weight loss surgery are the hardest I can remember. They made my cancer treatment seem like a walk in the park. I now realize I was going through extreme withdrawals from a very serious food and alcohol addiction. In these 18 weeks I have continued with the therapy necessary for me to break my addiction to food and alcohol, I have remained 100% sober (!!!), and I have lost 107 pounds. I've found a love and passion for running, and I compete a 5k 3-4 times per week as part of my normal routine. I'm regularly in the gym for circuit training, and have developed a borderline obsession with Pilates- and attend three sessions per week which are the most physically challenging thing I've ever done- and I love it. I eat a healthful whole foods diet of lean meats, green veggies, some fruit and minimal dairy. I've ended hurtful relationships, told people NO, and finally learned that taking care of myself first is ok. I've developed confidence in more than just my job...and I have an active and real social life (outside of th internet) for the first time in most of my adult life.

I know some may look at weight loss surgery as the "easy way out." I can tell from you from first hand personal experience, it isn't. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. I have about 12 food items in total I can consume day-to-day that sit comfortably and provide me the energy, protein and nutrition I need to function. I spend a minimum of an hour a day in the gym, and I spend an hour or two per week working on the "head stuff" that led me to 300 pounds and addictions. My life is no longer controlled or focused on food- instead, I've learned to enjoy my time with friend and family in other ways that are turning out to be WAY more fun. I feel good. I feel HOT. I can truly say that...and as weird and awkward as it is to say that...it's something I'm rather enjoying experiencing for the first time ever in almost 30 years.

To those of you considering weight loss surgery as a tool to help you reach a healthy weight and mental status...there is hope. This can be the best thing you'll ever do for yourself if you approach it knowing you will have to put in the work 100% just like anyone else- you just have an amazing tool to help provide you with the control that is desperately needed, and to give you a fighting chance to save your own life before it's too late.

m7pgxf5qh711.jpg
0yqs81otglo3.jpg
jw02yg1d9u11.jpg
gquiq6hcbfjh.jpg

[Edited by MFP Mods]

Replies

• newemmajayne123
    newemmajayne123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Well done on all your hard work :)
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Congratulation on losing weight and getting your life back. You look absolutely amazing and healthier. Would you give an example of your daily meals and how frequent you eat. did you cut out bread and sweets or you are allowed to have some.
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!!! Well well well done!

The surgery is by far NOT the easy way out. My aunt had it done last year and what she went through and is still going through is not easy.

You can be incredibly proud of yourself!
  • DBubbs
    DBubbs Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congratulations! :smile:
  • MarietjieHoward
    MarietjieHoward Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look fantastic, you can be so proud of yourself...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You sound and look amazing

Getting your head in the right place and putting in the commitment

I hope your health markers are as equally rewarding as your physical appearance

Long may it last

• _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    swing it, girl! you look amazing
  • dirtycxer
    dirtycxer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is awesome! You certainly sound like you have the motivation to succeed.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You have an awesome attitude about the surgery and what it can and cannot do. Many people think having surgery does all the "work" for you (that is why they say it is the "easy way out"). That is 100% not true. All the surgery does is help control your appetite (for about a year) so you can do the things you know you have to anyway (diet, exercise, mental) and have some hope of success. Sometimes a little help with self control on your appetite takes one little hurdle out of the way so you can really focus on the work without a gnawing black hole of a stomach distracting you (was my issue!). You still have to do all the same work everyone else does, and you still have to do "maintenance" like everyone else (no relaxing and thinking you cannot gain it back).

People who have WLS without this knowledge/attitude, where they think the surgery somehow means they never have to watch what they eat again or work on exercise or nutrition or maintenance - those are the ones who think the surgery "failed" them and tend to gain weight back once they learn to eat "around" the surgery.

Of course, if you could do all that without the additional appetite control, you would lose weight and end up in the same place without surgery. But some people need that additional help (like some people need diet pills, or heavy protein or fat for appetite control). Its not something to be done lightly, but for some people it is what they personally need to have any success.

Good job!!!
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous!
  • dorky_kelly
    dorky_kelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Way to go, lady!
  • Body_Remap
    Body_Remap Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look amazing xx
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Gosh lass, you are looking ot indeed :-) Very well done :-)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Holy amazing, you look great! Way to take the time to put in the commitment!

Keep at it!

P.S. your waist is amazing.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Amazing job, you are so pretty! You have worked so hard. Thank you for being inspiring!! :)
  • debgirling440
    debgirling440 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you look absolutely fantastic! A huge well done.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Risk of death...risk of post-op sequela...the fact you (general you) have to address your issues in a compressed time frame for it to be "successful"...

...nope, nothing "easy" about WLS. At all.

Sounds like you're on the correct track for you.

All the best, always.

• calichic74
    calichic74 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!!! And, your curves are to die for!!!! Congrats!!!
  • irianesentmour
    irianesentmour Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing!!
  • Jennak87
    Jennak87 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, you look incredible! Can I just say (in a non-creepy way, haha) your body shape is amazing. You have the perfect hourglass. You were beautiful before, but you look beautiful and healthy now. Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!