Gym locker security

Options
I belong to one of those large chain gyms with hundreds of location. Very convenient as an early morning cyclist and gym goer 6 out of 7 days a week. I go there from home, work out and either go to the office or to business meetings anywhere in the city from there. I use different locations depending on where Im going and shower there almost every day.

I was at one of their plushest locations yesterday, hundreds of gym goers around, and found out that at least 2 lockers (with combination locks) had been broken into while their users were on the floor.

Im very concerned as I always carry in my wallet with a couple 2 or 3 hundred dollars in cash, credit cards, cell phone and my car keys which have a built remote car door opener.

I can leave some of the items locked in my car, but if someone breaks in and takes my car keys while Im in the steam room or whirlpool, they can march up and down the parking lot clicking the remote to find my car and drive off with my belongings.

Any one else has any tips on how to protect your valuables? Leaving my stuff at home is not an option. I have a heavy duty lock, but one of the locks broken into was right next to the one I was using so it left me wondering.

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Take it all with you everywhere you go. I wouldn't be carrying around anything over $40 in cash though, especially if I knew there were thieves in the area. I take my keys and phone with me from machine to machine, and leave my ID (as I don't bring my wallet) in the glove box of my car. Or you can get one of those cinch backpacks to hold everything in, but that seems bothersome.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    There are super heavy-duty locks that can't be clipped you can buy if you're really concerned about someone stealing your things, and you don't/can't carry the important things with you. Those types of locks are expensive; however, I think they're worth it only because I personally know people who have had their stuff robbed at large-chain gyms, and it's just a bad situation to end up in.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Well, you could keep your stuff in your car and your keys in your pockets or in a fanny pack, but this wouldn't help you in the whirlpool or steam. My ex is a fanatic about steaming, so I'm not even going to suggest you skip that. In this case, maybe go for a super heavy duty lock.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I put my valuables in my trunk of my car and only take in my gym bag and keys. I keep my keys on me at all times. I clip them to my water bottle or pants.
    Even if you put your car keys in your locker and it gets broken into, it would take a thief with a lot of guts to walk up and down a gym parking lot clicking the unlock button to find your car. Most likely the gym has exterior security cameras .
    Just get yourself a Clip and hang your car key from your water bottle or get a lanyard and wear it around your wrist or leg if you don't have a pocket.
  • kathy0224
    kathy0224 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ditto on keeping my car keys with me, along with my cell. my wallet stays in the car in the locked glove compartment. i even take my cell & key with me to the pool. they are wrapped up in my towel.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Parking lots have cameras while locker rooms obviously cannot. It's unlikely that the locker room thieves will go out into the parking lot where they can be identified so leave your valuables in your car and leave the bare minimum of your keys and gym id in the locker.