DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    erictahnee wrote: »
    Ive talked to them and all they say is exercise and do cardio(nothing specific or any advise on what to do when i feel like im gonna die while doing it lol) ..ive wanted to go to a gym or something but just don't have the money

If by "them" you mean your cardiologist, get a new one. If your doctor didn't have specific answers, he or she should have referred you to someone who did.

I dunno. If that's what the doctor said then the OP is cleared to exercise. She can do whatever she wants as almost all forms of exercise will benefit the heart. Creating a specific post saying "please fix my heart" is a misdirect by OP, not an oversight by the doctor. Doctors won't generally tell you what to do but they'll give you a list of things to avoid (arms above head, prolonged elevated heart rate, heart rate above 140, etc.). If she asked the doc what to do and the answer was *Just go work out" then just go work out.

This is what I was getting at. Your docs should give you specific parameters to stay within, such as keeping your heart rate below a certain number. Someone who is trained in exercise physiology should be able to help you design a program that will keep you within those ranges. If you don't have the money to have someone help you design a program, start slowly and build up from there staying within the guidelines set forth by your doc. Given that you have a known medical condition, you will need to progress with more caution that someone who does not, but you can get improvements with time and patience.

But if the doc didn't give her parameters then it's possible they're aren't any (within reason). I tell people to go see their doc all the time, but once they've seen their doc I don't tell them to go see another doc or go see the same doc again. At some point I have to trust in the system and if the doc says a person is clear to work out then that's what we do (within reason).

But it would be worth a phone call to confirm that there are no parameters.

While that sounds reasonable on it's face what you're suggesting is actually an infinite loop.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Ive talked to them and all they say is exercise and do cardio(nothing specific or any advise on what to do when i feel like im gonna die while doing it lol) ..ive wanted to go to a gym or something but just don't have the money

I has tachycardia in the beginning of May, my doc gave me a calcium channel blocker to help reduce my heart rate. He also suggested exercise and weight loss (I was obese). The tachycardia was non-specific as I'm assuming yours is.

As you know, it's an unpleasant feeling to have your heartrate racing all the time. I became obsessed with the lack of control I had, probably a good thing. In May my average Resting heart rate was 96 BPM.

I started a diet that resembled what my great grandparents would have eaten. No processed foods, sugary items were thrown out. I was eating about 1700 calories of nutrient rich homemade food. No pop, cake, candy. No caffeine, or alcohol, those latter two were the only medically suggested advice.

Besides the diet, I started walking. First walk was a 40 minute mile. I thought I'd die because my heart had to explode, it sure felt like it was going to. Next time was two days later, still feeling like I was ready to die. Eventually(like a month) it got a little easier and I started walking further and a little faster. In August I was walking up to 4 miles at 30 minutes per mile rates. Then I kept pushing the walking speed, by October I could do 15 minute miles, albeit my heart rate would get up over the 85%. I should mention it is very hilly where we live so it was tough walking.

Today I'm down 50 pounds, my average resting heart rate for December was 65 BPM! I quit taking the calcium channel blocker as it also lowered my blood pressure, it was getting too low(96/54) and I was dizzy all the time. Bonus I was on different BP meds for over 20 years, today I take nothing. GERD is gone, snoring too, I used to get many cluster headaches, haven't had on in a record busting six months.

I can't tell you what the "cure" was for sure. I was only eating 1700 calories daily so I'm sure the calorie deficit was responsible for the weight loss. Exercise helped the weight loss, I'd think it was partially responsible for my heart being stronger. I'm of the belief it took both, healthy weight loss and exercise, but I can't prove it.

Sorry for such a long post, I sincerely hope you find your answer.

ETA: One thing I forgot to mention about diet. I've always been told my potassium was low, I adjusted by eating at least 100 grams of banana, couple of dates, russet or sweet potatoes with skin. I also was a sodium reducer, tried for less than 1500 mg daily. I can't say that was the answer, just another variable.

I'm really happy that you were able to devise your own program and that it worked so well for you. I do believe that the OP's cardiologist should have been able to give her more specific answers than "exercise and do cardio" or refer her to someone who could.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I has tachycardia in the beginning of May, my doc gave me a calcium channel blocker to help reduce my heart rate. He also suggested exercise and weight loss (I was obese). The tachycardia was non-specific as I'm assuming yours is.

As you know, it's an unpleasant feeling to have your heartrate racing all the time. I became obsessed with the lack of control I had, probably a good thing. In May my average Resting heart rate was 96 BPM.

I started a diet that resembled what my great grandparents would have eaten. No processed foods, sugary items were thrown out. I was eating about 1700 calories of nutrient rich homemade food. No pop, cake, candy. No caffeine, or alcohol, those latter two were the only medically suggested advice.

Besides the diet, I started walking. First walk was a 40 minute mile. I thought I'd die because my heart had to explode, it sure felt like it was going to. Next time was two days later, still feeling like I was ready to die. Eventually(like a month) it got a little easier and I started walking further and a little faster. In August I was walking up to 4 miles at 30 minutes per mile rates. Then I kept pushing the walking speed, by October I could do 15 minute miles, albeit my heart rate would get up over the 85%. I should mention it is very hilly where we live so it was tough walking.

Today I'm down 50 pounds, my average resting heart rate for December was 65 BPM! I quit taking the calcium channel blocker as it also lowered my blood pressure, it was getting too low(96/54) and I was dizzy all the time. Bonus I was on different BP meds for over 20 years, today I take nothing. GERD is gone, snoring too, I used to get many cluster headaches, haven't had on in a record busting six months.

I can't tell you what the "cure" was for sure. I was only eating 1700 calories daily so I'm sure the calorie deficit was responsible for the weight loss. Exercise helped the weight loss, I'd think it was partially responsible for my heart being stronger. I'm of the belief it took both, healthy weight loss and exercise, but I can't prove it.

Sorry for such a long post, I sincerely hope you find your answer.

ETA: One thing I forgot to mention about diet. I've always been told my potassium was low, I adjusted by eating at least 100 grams of banana, couple of dates, russet or sweet potatoes with skin. I also was a sodium reducer, tried for less than 1500 mg daily. I can't say that was the answer, just another variable.

I'm really happy that you were able to devise your own program and that it worked so well for you. I do believe that the OP's cardiologist should have been able to give her more specific answers than "exercise and do cardio" or refer her to someone who could.

based on you being more familiar with the OP's medical condition than her treating physicians or based on your general expertise in cardiology?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have tachycardia only occasionally with my first episode about 18 years ago when I had about 220 bpm. I went to the ER and was on EKG. I had additional testing afterwards including echo tests which is how I know the type I have is a non-dangerous rhythm. I have no restrictions and was given the following three options:

1. Do nothing
    2. Take meds as a preventative
    3. Have the RFI ablation performed (outpatient)

Because mine was so infrequent to begin with, I chose initially to do nothing for 5 or 6 years. When it seemed like it was happening more, I went with the meds and have remained on a VERY low dose beta blocker. Not sure how much it helps but I only seem to have the tachycardia once or twice a year now and when I do it doesn't last as long and isn't as rapid as it used to be. I also avoid triggers which include caffeine and stress. It also helps to get enough sleep. And I don't know whether it's one of the reasons for fewer episodes but since losing about 40 pounds and getting into shape the problem is almost non existent for me. I'm 48 and my resting heart rate is now around 50 - at a recent checkup the doc says I'm in great shape!

Of course, your situation may be different but if you've been checked out thoroughly and are confident in your physician then it's probably best to follow their advice.

Out of curiosity, did they teach you a vasalva maneuver and have you been able to use that to return your rhythm to normal? Might be worth asking about it.
  • erictahnee
    erictahnee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have tachycardia only occasionally with my first episode about 18 years ago when I had about 220 bpm. I went to the ER and was on EKG. I had additional testing afterwards including echo tests which is how I know the type I have is a non-dangerous rhythm. I have no restrictions and was given the following three options:

1. Do nothing
    2. Take meds as a preventative
    3. Have the RFI ablation performed (outpatient)

Because mine was so infrequent to begin with, I chose initially to do nothing for 5 or 6 years. When it seemed like it was happening more, I went with the meds and have remained on a VERY low dose beta blocker. Not sure how much it helps but I only seem to have the tachycardia once or twice a year now and when I do it doesn't last as long and isn't as rapid as it used to be. I also avoid triggers which include caffeine and stress. It also helps to get enough sleep. And I don't know whether it's one of the reasons for fewer episodes but since losing about 40 pounds and getting into shape the problem is almost non existent for me. I'm 48 and my resting heart rate is now around 50 - at a recent checkup the doc says I'm in great shape!

Of course, your situation may be different but if you've been checked out thoroughly and are confident in your physician then it's probably best to follow their advice.

Out of curiosity, did they teach you a vasalva maneuver and have you been able to use that to return your rhythm to normal? Might be worth asking about it.
    They didn't teach it to me..i actually ended up googling it and then asking them if it was safe ..my tachycardia is from POTS, so for yrs my heart doctors ( i went through about 5 doctors) just thought i was crazy bc it doesnt pick up on monitors and by the time i made it to the er it was over...finally i again googled until i narrowed all my symptoms down and demanded a tilt table test which is how they found out i was right and did have a issue which i hate to say I've passed down to my 8 yr old son...i take a heart med twice a day to keep my rate down and the really bad episodes happen only like once a mth now..i haven't had stimulants in yrs ..i have a hard time trusting my docs since me and google were what figured out what was wrong..as for living and exercise they said just to treat it like regular tachycardia except i have to have large amounts of salt