Recent Ex-Smokers Looking for Accountability/Support

Options
nisilap
nisilap Posts: 10 Member
Tell me I'm not the only one who just recently quit smoking???
I quit one week before Christmas after 10 months of vaping. I am happy to report that I did not gain weight over the holidays, but it was tough. I have lost 4 oz in the past 6 days and I'm okay with that. I do have about 25-30 pounds to lose and I knew I had to quit smoking once and for all, ( if I wanted to live) but also to be able to do the exercising I needed to do, to be able to lose the weight. Anyways, if anyone finds themselves in the same place, and wants a support/ accountability buddy, I'm your girl! This is my year and I will succeed! Please come join me

Replies

• Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of quitting. My husband and I are quitting together, but he picked up another pack yesterday. If he manages not to do that again, then we're done with them.
  • michkins33
    michkins33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and take it one day at a time. Quitting smoking is a huge health improvement and a difficult task. Just concentrate on making choices that help your body and the weight loss will follow.
  • nisilap
    nisilap Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the words of encouragement! I am taking one day at a time and am trying to be really kind to myself. I appreciate you reaching out to me. Have a wonderful 2016 : )
  • ks_mommaof5
    ks_mommaof5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh ... your post made my day!!! I am on my 4th day being smoke-free.

I had a 1/2 pack per day habit for nearly 10 years ... none of my 5 kids knew I smoked, nor did my coworkers, because the only time I did so was when I was driving by myself and I could leave all the car windows open. As silly as it sounds, I have tried to quit at least 5 times and failed. This time, however, I didn't intend to quit ... it just happened naturally when I went on vacation with my family.

After losing nearly 50 pounds since July (I successfully quit refined sugar - something that was more difficult for me), I decided to go skiing with my kids. At 10,000 feet altitude, my lungs were really taxed and the whole thing was so awesome and so athletic that I didn't want to smoke!! I realized that all my success with weight loss and exercise proved that I was up for the challenge of quitting ... and that my new love for skiing would be the reward!!!

Today, however, I went back to reality ... back to my commute ... back to my stressful job ... and it was REALLY hard to stay smoke-free. I've told my kids, though, and now they ask constantly if I've smoked, which helps with a accountability. I also put a sign in my car that says "smoke-free ____ days" and I'm changing the number each day. Lastly, I am meditating before getting into the car ... visualizing myself skiing down a really challenging slope on a gorgeous sunny day ... imaging how good it will feel to take deep breaths of the crisp air and not feel short of breath.

Please feel free to add me as a friend - I would love to hear more about your journey and help you stay motivated. You can do it!!!