Birth Control and Weight Loss??

Options
I want to start going on birth controll but I hear horrible stories about people gaining weight or how hard it is to lose those stingy pounds. (sorry for the personal info, but I need advice). I have a super irregular period, i get it like every 6 months, so I am thinking i might go on birth control to regulate my hormones. Do you think it might hurt me from losing the weight i want? I was thinking that it might help, since i have wacky hormones, but Im just afriad Ill gain even more weight! ahh if anyone has any stories or advice for all those ladies out there, that would be much appreciated!! xoxo

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My BC pill helped with water retention, which was a pretty big deal to me, since I was retaining water 3 out of 4 weeks in the month. I had to take it for endometriosis. I wouldn't have gone on it just for contraception. It will make your hormones more consistent. I had to try several versions before I found one that worked for me without having side effects.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Has made not one iota of difference. Fat before taking it, fat during taking it, losing weight taking it.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    @VintageFeline - I love your glasses and cute hairstyle! Sorry, back to the topic.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make a difference. Lost 50lbs/and maintained it all while on the pill. You may be hungrier, by you'll need to figure out how to fight that.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    @VintageFeline - I love your glasses and cute hairstyle! Sorry, back to the topic.

Thank you!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It can cause water weight gain, which is just a fluxuation, and can cause some people to have more of an appetite, but it doesn't MAKE you gain fat, nor will it stop you from losing.
  • yvonnekelly94402
    yvonnekelly94402 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on a particularly strong pill cerrazete. It made me put on weight .. alot. More bloated maybe. Despite going to the gym a few times a week. I got so annoyed because before I was losing weight at a steady pace. And gaining muscle mass. My period is heavy and makes me very sick. Vomiting and fainting ect.. the pill worked on that... although it stopped my period all together. I went off it and now try rectify this. But the pill works for some and doesn't for others.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I lost 40-ish pounds while I was on Depo Provera. Then I got off it and gained weight over the last year, I blame the mood swings and the cravings that come with. :smile: But really I blame myself, not the drug, I'm the one who shoveled sugar into my mouth during the crazy hormone times.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the pill. I was on a pill called Seasonique for about a year and gained quite a bit of weight - my Dr. admitted it makes you gain weight.......make sure to tell your Dr. to put you on a pill that does NOT cause weight gain.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I took Yasmin, and loved it. It does carry a higher risk of blood clots than other BCPs. I had no other risk factors for blood clots.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I lost 40-ish pounds while I was on Depo Provera. Then I got off it and gained weight over the last year, I blame the mood swings and the cravings that come with. :smile: But really I blame myself, not the drug, I'm the one who shoveled sugar into my mouth during the crazy hormone times.

It's hard to resist the urging of one's hypothalamus. They don't call it "The Boss" (of your hormones) for nothing. But you might be able to find ways to trick your brain out of making you eat sugar.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    It doesn't make you gain or lose weight. It may, as many medications do, increase appetite. As long as You are aware of this and are honestly racking your intake then it will have no impact on weight gain or loss. It's not the drug, it's what you put in your mouth.

And I get it, I gained 3 stone due to appetite increases from psychoactive medication but it didn't do anything to the calories in/calories out equation.
  • lithezebra
    edited January 2016
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Sorry, but I just don't get this. Not wanting to start a clearly needed medication just because it might "cause" you to gain weight is just so freaking dumb.

I gained weight after I started birth control. But I can tell you right now it was because I enjoyed stuffing far too much food into my gob and had nothing to do with the pill. And I'd rather retain a few extra kilos of water than suffer from the agonising cramps every month.

I totally get not wanting to take a medication that makes you think about food all the time. You don't HAVE to stick it in your mouth, but it's no fun having an overpowering urge to eat, even if you have a will of iron. However, there are many formulations of the pill. Hopefully, most people can find one that has a minimum of side effects.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I was worried about it.
    But not having another baby was/is kind of important to me.
    Oh, and stable moods.
    We're still working on it, I just started a tri-cycle type.
    I'm still losing weight.

and... for the first time in over 8 years my super fine and thinning hair actually seems to be growing a bit thicker.

I kind of like the hormone balance.
  • welshcoffeeaddict
    welshcoffeeaddict Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost weigh on Depo twice, which my doctor informed me me was "impressive". But piled on weight when had implant, yet they're supposedly the same hormone. I also had bad skin, mood swings and constant bleeding. So I would suggest finding the one that suits you. There are many and many are similar, but they are not all the same.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Only once had my weight been affected by going off birth control. I went off Portia (was on for years) and I dropped weight very easily (this was back 6 years ago). I recently went off birth control again, and haven't seen any huge difference.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    OP - good question. I believe that many of the weight gain horror stories are from those who really just ate too much and blame the Pill. Weight gain often occurs with a new partner (because we eat more) or after puberty (because we've stopped significant bone/muscle growth), times when many of us start.

However, it is so much more important for you to worry about unwanted pregnancy than weight gain!!! As others suggest, log your diet and exercise, and keep to your calorie goal and you'll be fine. The majority of women from around the world take the Pill for decades without problem.
  • miarail
    miarail Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Sorry, but I just don't get this. Not wanting to start a clearly needed medication just because it might "cause" you to gain weight is just so freaking dumb.

I gained weight after I started birth control. But I can tell you right now it was because I enjoyed stuffing far too much food into my gob and had nothing to do with the pill. And I'd rather retain a few extra kilos of water than suffer from the agonising cramps every month.

I wouldn't be taking it for contraceptive reasons, I'm not sexually active. I do have bad skin and a very irregular period, which is why I've been thinking about going on it, so i guess I'm just weighing whats more important and just doing a trial and error of what works and doesn't work. You had a larger appetite, which one were you on?
    Thanks

• Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have not Gained any weight in the 3 years since starting the pill. I think people just blame the pill for overeating?
  • emg711
    emg711 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on birth control since I started my fitness journey and have been able to loose weight.