Need to lose 50 lbs

Options
I need to lose 50lbs and more, enough is enough and it is time for drastic changes in my life!! Any tips on getting started I am on a 1200 calorie diet

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    1200 seems low if you have 50 pounds to lose... What is your height weight and age?

It's a good idea to have a resistance training routine and to eat plenty of protein. Cardio is optional for weight loss, but will allow you to eat more.
  • beppipanks6
    beppipanks6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am 18, 5 ft 5 and 215lb, 50lb is a starting goal but planning to lose more once I hit that goal, thanks for the tips
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I would up your calories quite a bit to start, no reason to crash your calories like that. you'll lose too much lbm with the fat.

Start with at least 1800 calories, resistance train, and log consistently. You'll be fine.
  • dominiquejohnson2016
    Options
    I new to all this weight lose. But if you aim to lose more you have to up your calories? I'm trying to lose 150 lbs
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I new to all this weight lose. But if you aim to lose more you have to up your calories? I'm trying to lose 150 lbs

No, but you need to not starve yourself and risk losing a lot of lean body mass along with the fat. Less calories isn't always better. It's easy to get excited and want to lose the weight really fast, but that's the easiest way to make your diet not sustainable in the long run. If you need to lose 150, it's going to take a while, and you need to eat enough and know when to take diet breaks.
  • beppipanks6
    beppipanks6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I will do, hopefully that will work better and I won't be so hungry all the time, good luck with your weightloss and thank you so much for the tips, overall I am aiming to lose around 70 lbs
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

1200 calories is pretty difficult for many people to maintain, especially someone as young as the OP. I wouldn't necessarily go to 1800, but lowering the deficit a little will do.

This is a great thread to read for all beginners: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside