Really beating myself up

Options
I'm really beating myself up over gaining 8 lbs on my cruise this past week. I worked really hard to lose it and I let myself indulge way to much. I need some motivation to get back into the swing of things. now that I've put weight back on I've lost the motivation to get back on the horse!
help!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up!!
    First of all, some of it may just be water weight possibly. When I return from a trip, my scale is always up but returns to normal after a week or so.
    Secondly, even if it is 8lbs not water weight, you can lose it !
    We all deserve a vacation and time to relax. So you enjoyed yourself and now are returning to your normal routine. 8 lbs isn't a big deal in the grande scheme of things. Get yourself started again by weighing and logging your very next meal ! ( its dinner time on the east coast !) And renew your motivation by thinking about your goals and why you began this process in the first place.
    We all go through hiccups along the way. Its a lifestyle change so certainly won't be easy. Pick yourself up and realize that your only human and 8 lbs isn't that bad at all ! ( I could gain that in two days if I wanted to ! Lol !!) Its no biggie, just pick up where you left off !
  • xLexi1028
    xLexi1028 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thank you so much!! I'll definitely do that for dinner tonight!! thanks again!! ❤
  • SheilaShines
    SheilaShines Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    How could you not gain 8 pounds on a cruise? You can do this! :wink:
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster....I always gain 5-10 lbs while on vacation. Most, if not all of it, will be gone when you get back into your calorie counting/exercise routine. I used to stress myself out about it and then it turned out to be water weight.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up; it only makes things worse. Just start all over again. That's what I'm doing. Eight pounds is better than 10 or 15.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Give it ONE week of effort and half of that could be GONE (because half of it is probably water weight! If not more :) )
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nothing to do with the post, just wondering why some people's profile pics are behind bars?

As for the post I gained 10 lbs on a cruise last year and it came off almost as fast as it went on. Just have to get back at it. I probably gained 10 lbs over the holidays :/ today has been hard.
  • holliebaker90
    holliebaker90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you were on an airplane at any point in your trip, that can definitely add to your weight as well. Eating super salty foods on the airplane can be a factor. I tend to get really bloated and feel terrible after a big trip in the air. Don't feel discouraged as 8 pounds in the grand scheme of things isn't that much! I personally gain or lose anywhere from 1-3 lbs per week just from the slat/water fluctuation in my body. Keep at it and you will be back at your starting point!
  • Radiant8888
    Radiant8888 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow - you worked hard to lose that weight previously. It was YOUR achievement and it's YOUR body. If every now and again you want to relax and indulge it is entirely YOUR choice. No need to beat yourself up. You earned that weight loss - it was yours to do with as you wished. And you will lose that 8lbs again and more if it suits you too. Relax!! You enjoyed yourself.
  • lollymartin2015
    lollymartin2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dont beat yourself up. We all do this. I also had a cruise in mid December, followed by Christmas and New Year festivities. Having spent a year losing 60lbs I have now put 9lb back on. But...I said today was the day to restart my program and I have. Back to calorie counting and a double exercise class tonight. I feel so much better for it, although it was hard! People say its easier to gain weight than lose it. Its not. Have faith. We all got this! X
  • xLexi1028
    xLexi1028 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much!! ❤❤
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm really beating myself up over gaining 8 lbs on my cruise this past week. I worked really hard to lose it and I let myself indulge way to much. I need some motivation to get back into the swing of things. now that I've put weight back on I've lost the motivation to get back on the horse!
    help!

Firstly, don't beat yourself up. It's mostly water weight and your 8lb is just an aberration. Yes, it will take a few days to a week to get rid of it, but it WILL go!

Secondly, put on your workout clothes, put on your shoes, head to the gym and do a workout. You WILL feel 100000000000000000% better! Also, drink plenty of water to get rid of the excess salt.

Thirdly, you're human - not a machine. You had a well-deserved break/vacation, where you ENJOYED yourself. Stop beating yourself up! We ALL over-indulge, albeit Christmas, vacation or just because we want too. But the difference is that we have the tools and knowledge on how to get rid of the excess weight and keep it off.

Lastly - you're doing great! Just remember that :)
  • haydonlawrence
    haydonlawrence Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't need to beat yourself up - weight loss is definitely not a short-term story. I managed to lose almost 60lbs, but a combination of a bad work-life balance and time / energy to exercise / cook good healthy food has led me to put a lot of that back on again over the last 2 years.

However, I've now made some changes to my work which mean I should be able to exercise a lot more again, and I can already feel the difference, even after a couple of weeks. Which is a really long-winded way of saying that it's never too late. Whenever you feel ready to restart losing the weight then you'll do so.

Until then, try to be comfortable in yourself (I know from personal experience that that is not always easy!), and accept that you can only really make this kind of effort when you feel ready to do so.

And just think - if you hadn't put in that effort in the first place, you'd have almost certainly still put on those 8lbs, it would just have been on top of your max weight, rather than the weight you were after what you've lost!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a weekend away and tried something different. I logged what I ate when on vacation. That isn't for everyone, but it allowed me to enjoy treats and snacks and over indulging, while also being aware of what and how much I was eating over maintenance. It takes 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a pound. That's pretty hard to do for 8 days! Anyway, you'll lose it.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Very likely water weight - if you watch what you are eating over the next few days, a bunch of that weight will likely come off. To get back on the horse - I usually use these tips.

1 - Just focus on tracking your caloric intake for now, exercise when you feel up to it and ready to reintegrate it back into your program.

2 - GO GROCERY SHOPPING! I always find it easy to get back on track when healthy options are near by and not having to compromise due to not having options in the house.

3 - Remember how far you have come, don't let it go!

4 - Fitspo Pics/Idols who you look up to

5 - If you are really struggling, get into something new (new workout clothes, new program, new recipes, etc) switch it up to get recommitted and motivated.

If you do give up - You will fail. So just don't give up! One day you'll make it to your goal as long as you keep trying your hardest.