Gas from Veggies

Options
Hello

I am experiencing very stinky gas from having so many veggies. Not an issue at home but in my open cubicle office, it is becoming an issue as I can't run out of the area every time the urge hits. I would never be in the area. Does anyone have a good remedy?

Thanks,
Dawn

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    take some beano

there will be no gas

well, thats what the commercial claims.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Beano does work well for some foods (like beans). If "so many veggies" is something new in your diet then your gut will likely adjust to it over time. Our gut bacteria grow based on what we eat so any significant change in diet can cause issues.

A daily probiotic might help if you don't want to wait it out.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The probiotic suggestion is a good one. Your gut flora will adapt in a few weeks.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    just a curious question (cause i dont know)... i eat a ton of veggies (always have) and dont get gas from it. is it because my body is used to it?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    just a curious question (cause i dont know)... i eat a ton of veggies (always have) and dont get gas from it. is it because my body is used to it?

Yes. Some veggies (or any food) may give you gas no matter what you do, but generally foods you eat routinely should not be a problem in a healthy person. It's the same reason people may get issues when traveling eating foreign foods or spices.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Eat more veggies! (Seriously, if this is new to you then you need time for your body to adjust.)
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of this. I have a very gassy boss who really lets some intense ones rip throughout the day. Oddly enough I am the least gassy person I know of, to the point that people think it's strange how seldom I get gas. :p
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It might help if you chew them carefully?
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Digestive Advantage Gas formula probiotics help. I think they're like $8 at Walmart.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

Yes. Some veggies (or any food) may give you gas no matter what you do, but generally foods you eat routinely should not be a problem in a healthy person. It's the same reason people may get issues when traveling eating foreign foods or spices.

makes sense lol
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    When you first start eating a ton of fiber, you'll have a lot of gas. You can either wait it out (because you're body will adjust), you can cut down the veggies and slow add them in again to help your body adjust easier, or you can try the probiotic idea which I have found to be helpful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Ya, I had an unusually high fiber (for me) day recently and was a little gassy. I'm sure if I started eating at that level regularly, it would go away.

OP - you can certainly try Beano and/or probiotics.
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is why I felt like *kitten* after eating about 10 huge pieces of raw broccoli
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I second the probiotics; supplements, yogurt, kefir etc. Kindly take a walk to the bathroom when you feel the need to let one rip... Maybe keep a box of matches in your desk
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    At various points in my life I have gone through stinky gas phases lasting months. Years and years and years ago (like the early 90s?) I heard someone on NPR of all places recommended taking activated charcoal tablets. The idea is that activated charcoal -- which is used as a deodorizer in a number of external applications (including kitty litter filters and gas masks, lol) -- tends to bond to stinky molecules and trap them. I suppose you end up pooping them out later. (Full disclosure: in more recent years crazy health food people have been making a lot of weird claims about activated charcoal as a "detox" drug. Detox is always, always nonsense. This is not that.)

Anyway, long story short, in my experience I have definitely found that taking an activated charcoal tablet 2 or 3 times per day gets rid of the stinkiness. Farts still happen, but they are much less odorous and therefore are more civilization-friendly. It takes a day or two to work its way deep enough into your guts to start working, but it does work. You can buy activated charcoal at health food stores, places like GNC (or you used to, anyway), and online. Maybe even a particularly well-stocked drugstore.