Gym bag

Options
What would you say the essentials are? Never been to the gym before to work out. Only swimming. Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't take a bag with me because I change at work. My bag usually just has sports bra, extra underwear, socks, shoes, shirt and pants. If I remember I throw in deodorant and face cleaning wipes, maybe even a brush.

While at the gym I have my log book and a pen. That's it. The gym provides towels to wipe the equipment and I don't drink water during my session.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    lock for the locker. workout towel. shower towel and change of clothes if you are showering. gym shoes. GOOD LUCK!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For workout: hand towel, shorts, t-shirt, sports bra, socks, shoes. For pre/after shower: shower shoes, soap, shampoo, fresh underwear. Miscellaneous items:Gym membership card, a lock for the locker, a shower towel, ipod (or some device), deodorant.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i go in my gym clothes but in my bag i have shower supplies (soap, shampoo, etc), comb,clothing

normal stuff lol
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Towel, shower shoes, clean underwear/bra, iPod/headphones, workout log, lock.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym from home (already in gym clothes) and go back home afterwards, so I travel light. In my gym bag: workout log/pen, water bottle, towel, iPhone and BT earbuds.
  • rachelthropology
    rachelthropology Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    HEADPHONES. Don't forget those. Really. Notebook and pen for workouts or I recommend using the BodySpace app. Water bottle. Tennis shoes (and other workout apparel). I generally use a preworkout and keep a small container of protein powder in my gym bag. Face wipes to remove make up.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Kind of depends on if you have to go to the gym from work or can go from home, and what you are doing after the gym. For sure I always have my iPod, water bottle, towel, and my workout routine on paper, with a pen. If I'm going after work, I have my workout clothing (sports bra, shirt, pants, socks) and shoes too. If I had to go from there out to, say, dinner, then I'd also pack in shower stuff - towel, soap, shampoo & conditioner, brush, and deodorant. There are no lockers in my gym, so I don't need a lock. If I'm going straight home after the gym, which is the usual, then I shower and change when I get home.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Water, shorts, sneakers, mp3 player, and t-shirt. Maybe a sweat towel. No bag.
  • Alicereed91
    Alicereed91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I will be going from home but before work so will deffo need a shower! Thanks for all your answers. Will be all prepared for my first work out!! x
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I go from home on my way to work. So in my car I throw my work bag, my lunch, and a post-workout smoothie.
    Plus work shoes

In my gym bag are my work clothes, make-up, all-in-one shampoo and soap, a bag to put my sweaty gym stuff in, and a plastic bag for my towel. My towel is a micro-fibre one, which dries fast, as sometimes I also swim on the way home from work, meaning there is ALSO a swimming costume, hat and goggles. Water, a padlock, set of contact lenses, and my workout either on my phone or piece of paper. Think that's it!! Oh, and I use a long-lasting anti-perspirant so no spraying everyone else in the changing rooms.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Chalk, hand towel, water. Sometimes I bring my resistance bands for assisted pullups. And sometimes I forget my bag entirely.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, I will be doing CrossFit, weight lifting and/or using the treadmill, so in my bag I have:

Skin salve/lip balm
    Lifting gloves (Barehand)
    Shoes for squats/Olympic lifts
    CrossFit shoes (also use for dead lifts)
    Running shoes
    Weight belt
    Knee sleeves
    Lifting straps
    Breathe-Right strips (I use these for long runs)

I also take a bottle of water, my phone for tunes and lifting apps, and headphones.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Squat shoes
    Converse
    Notebook
    Preworkout
    Aminos
    Lifting belt
    Lacrosse balls
    Wrist wraps
    Extra socks

All that is in my lifting bag that stays at the gym.

With me is my work clothes, water bottle, food etc.
  • Alicereed91
    Options
    I may sound so stupid now but I didn't know to you needed more than one pair of shoes to workout x
  • Amber_hanson27
    Amber_hanson27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Squat shoes??....do tell!!!!
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I keep it pretty basic: runners, extra socks, undies (there'll be times I'm coming from work and barefoot from wearing heels or sucky-inny undies which just aren't conducive to working out), headphones, extra hair ties, bobby pins , lock, water bottle, deodorant, body mist.

So times I'll bring shower stuff
  • Alicereed91
    Options

So glad I'm not the only one haha x
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Many of us wear flat shoes for squats/deadlifts. I have not put a pair of running shoes on in almost a year.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym from home, and then back home, and am not currently using a gym bag. I used to have a fanny pack for my phone, keys, and mp3 player, but now I wear pants with pockets and have the mp3 player there, leave my phone in my car, and leave my keys in my coat on the rack by the front desk. (Theft is not an issue at my gym.) I carry my water/smoothie bottle around.

A note on gym bags - my new pet gym peeve is the chick who abandons her bag for long stretches of time next to equipment she's not using but I want to. Now I know what she and her bag look like, so next time it happens I'll be able to confirm that she's not using that space.