Weight lifting/exercise question

Options
what is the conventional wisdom in working out 7 days a week. I am currently doing 5 but feel like I should be doing more

Typically 2 days of cardio 60 minute runs, and 3 days of strength training built around the big three lifts with varying isolation exercises thrown in

Replies

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Most trainers recommend at least one rest day a week. I do 6 days of cardio and 3 weight training with at least one day to recover between each weight workout. If you are lifting heavy you need a day in between sessions to rest and repair muscles.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You don't need a day between sessions, but you do need some rest days. I would do 6 days max. No more than 5 of those days on the weights, and make sure you have a structured program for weight training 5 days a week. Cardio isn't necessary for weight loss, but good for health benefits and being able to eat more. Unless you like long runs, stick with HIIT workouts to save time and get just as good or better results.
  • guzziguymike
    guzziguymike Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I must preface my comment by saying, I'm just getting back into working out routine after a LONG injury hiatus.

That said, I agree with points from both previous responses. Muscles exercised need at least 1 day to repair, unless your talking about ab work. Abs you can do every day if you want. For the most part, I like HIIT two days a week, strength training 2, no more than 3, days a week, and reward myself with a fun cardio activity like bicycling or playing in the pool with my toddler son.

For what it's worth, 40 mins tops is all you need. An online trainer I like preaches, "You can work out hard, or you can work out long, but you can't do both".

Good luck.
  • kevin_bvbfan
    kevin_bvbfan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I am hooked into the running because I am recovering from a near 30 year smoking habit. The running in my opinion helps me gauge my lung recovery. Only been at it since November, was hoping to do a 5k and 10k before end of year, so I can say I did it and for no other reason