How do you work out the calorie content etc when eating out?

Options
Just wondering how you go about doing it, especially when it's a smaller chain.
I have a broken oven at my weekday home so I find it hard to cook at home unless it's in a pan/from the microwave so I eat out a lot.

Any tips would help a lot :D:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It can be incredibly difficult to figure out the nutrition for a smaller chain restaurant. Most large chains have their nutrition posted online, I usually just google: "restaurant name nutrition/calories" and a pdf will come up.

For smaller chains that do not have something online you could try comparing what you order to a similar item on another restaurant's nutrition chart. This won't be exact but could give you a ballpark!

Zoe
  • itsfrananne
    Options
    Thanks!
    My favourite to go to atm is a little Thai place, I don't know what I'd compare the "spicy veg noodles with prawns" etc too!
    :(
    Do I just count the prawns, noodles, veg I can see and hope the sauce isn't too high in cal, or is that cheating? haha :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Get yourself an electric hot-plate. $35. Or get your stove fixed. It's worth it.

That said, since you eat out a lot, choose foods you can break apart, like a salad. That way you can estimate, say, 2 cups spinach, 2 oz. mandarin oranges, 1 oz. cranberries, 1/2 oz. chopped pecans, 1 oz. goat cheese, 1 tbsp. raspberry vinaigrette. Etc.

Salads and sandwiches are good for this. I always add an extra 200 calories to anything I order out, as I never know if they added sugar, oil, butter, etc.

Hope that helps.
  • itsfrananne
    Options
    Oh dear :(
    I think I'm best with the veggie ready meals (the ASDA choosen by you ones are pretty good and I don't eat anything out a microwave that contains meat)