Biggest Loser is back! :(

Options
Another season of Biggest Loser. I don't agree with how they portray the weight loss journey.

1. It's unrealistic for majority of people to workout 4, 5, or 6 hours a day.

2. Not healthy to lose that much weight so fast.

3. I hate when they show the contestants throwing up and whine and complain when they are working out.

Tell me what do you think about this show. Do you watch it and enjoy it or not?

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It's a terrible show. Fat people killing themselves for hours in the gym while some psychologist wannabe PT screams in their face and goads fat people to air their dirty laundry and mental issues on television for our entertainment.

The weigh-in is ok. The lack of focus on diet, and the hyper focus on working out your body and your 'issues' is an annoying and tiresome spectacle.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I love it for entertainment value... sue me lol
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    It's sick. A lot of contestants end up worse off than when they went in mentally. Eating disorders, body dysmorphia, knowing the public is watching and waiting for the weight to come back...I've read the horror stories of the behind-the-scenes. You can't talk to your family. You can't be alone in your room. You don't drink and work out for six hours just to drop water weight for the big weigh in. Wanting to leave and asserting as much, but being told by producers about how lucky you are to be there, how people would kill to be in your shoes, how many people are dying from their obesity and you're going to be such an inspiration for them all while being immensely miserable for the public's pleasure.

Those people don't understand what good and healthy habits are. They just do what they're told until it's over.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I find it motivating in a way.

18 months or so ago, I was going to the gym a couple times a week and the treadmills had TVs on them so I'd watch The Biggest Loser while walking on the treadmill. But I'd watch some of them in their challenges running on their treadmills, while I plodded along in a walk, and I got to thinking that if they can run, I can at least pick up the pace. And after a while ... if they can run, I should be able to as well.

But I do think that there needs to be more emphasis on diet. Maybe challenges to produce a day's worth of nutritious meals as close to a 1200 cal total as possible or something.
  • lharrop1669
    lharrop1669 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    True. Good thought!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    I'll take the $40,000 and then build a cool home gym along with a new fridge!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Then don't watch it...
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    But I do think that there needs to be more emphasis on diet. Maybe challenges to produce a day's worth of nutritious meals as close to a 1200 cal total as possible or something.

I believe one of the seasons I watched they actually did do this. Still, 1200 is way too low for people who are so overweight and doing so much exercise :/

Not going to lie, I do enjoy watching the show. Well, at least I did - Jillian was my favorite part and she's gone now. I find it entertaining, and it can be motivating and inspiring at times. That being said, it should not be taken as realistic in any way. I read an interview with one of the contestants where they said there would often be 3-4 weeks between the "weekly" weigh ins. And when they show a contestant crying and then getting right back at it, often the person would have actually been crying for like an hour and they just cut all of that out. It's television, not real life.

Basically, don't take it seriously, and don't take it as an example of good health, but it can be okay to watch in my opinion.
  • cobainbuzz
    cobainbuzz Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Its horrible, just another excuse to exploit fat people

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I found it really inspiring and it helped to get me on track a decade ago when I just couldn't get started. I was only 20# overweight and was having trouble but here were people grossly obese who were able to lose tons of weight with exercise and dieting. It motivated me for years and helped keep my yo-yo at 20# not 40 or 80 pounds.
  • endlessloser
    endlessloser Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched today's episode (have it on record)... but I find it motivating in some ways. I don't like the throwing up parts, nor the yelling/belittling, but I do like seeing the results they get, especially after rough weeks. Now yeah, some people could go to extremes with it, but let's face it, it's a reality show - meaning, in real life people don't typically HAVE 4-6 hours a day to work out (and even if they did, they likely wouldn't do it anyway) - nor is it smart to without supervision. (Remember, these people have a big crew of medical personnel etc. hiding behind the cameras to make sure everyone's ok).

No, I don't think it's anything people should use to encourage eating disorders or anything like that - but I do think it can be motivational to actually see results, and I love seeing the transformations as the weeks go on.

Whether you're a biggest loser fan or not - there is a book called "Where did all the fat go"? by the Dr. on the show (Probably not spelling it right, but it's Dr. Huizenga?)

I've read it several times to keep motivated when I need it too - he explains the ins and outs of the show/weight loss, the truths of it, and how real people can actually lose weight at home - without killing yourself, and without starving yourself. He even admits that some of the weeks aren't actual weeks but longer, and also that when they did the "at home" group (Don't recall how many seasons ago, but it was when they did the States editions) - that most of them lost just as much weight if not more, being at home and doing 1.5-2 hours a day, than the ones on the show working out 2-3 times that. (Far less injuries obviously holding them back because they weren't killing themselves).

The book is good, even funny at parts. (I bought it on Amazon - not pushing anything here, just a fun/good read with practical information ANYONE can use)

Sorry for rambling lol - but in short, yeah, I like the show for the motivation / transformation more towards the end AND I admit, I like some of the stories - as someone who has gone through stuff that some on the show have had to deal with like the loss of a child, I can relate very personally - to see how they cope with issues can be helpful. Not always mind you, but sometimes.

For me, it's on record... I watch it when I need to catch up on my ironing LOL
  • endlessloser
    endlessloser Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    It's a terrible show. Fat people killing themselves for hours in the gym while some psychologist wannabe PT screams in their face and goads fat people to air their dirty laundry and mental issues on television for our entertainment.

The weigh-in is ok. The lack of focus on diet, and the hyper focus on working out your body and your 'issues' is an annoying and tiresome spectacle.

They actually do focus a lot on diet - just not on screen unfortunately, that's where they do need to improve (rather than the annoying jenny-o sponsor spots...) That does drive me nuts.
  • VitosWorld
    VitosWorld Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Tooooo much forced crying just for TV ratings
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I let the shows stack on DVR and watch when I'm having one of those "this sucks, hate this" days when exercising. I tell myself that at least no one is screaming at me and I'm losing without that insanity.

It puzzles me how those people can exercise the way they do. I understand their motivation but don't understand their endurance.
  • Deej1020
    Deej1020 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The working out part, I don't like. It's not motivational to me. I don't want to be yelled at and screamed at and called names and talked to like crap for entertainment. I find their stories inspirational. That's why I watch it. I can care less about the working out part. I grow to love the contestants as individual human beings. Their journeys and stories. As they are losing the weight and some of them break down in tears, I cry as well. It's a nice show besides the fact that most of them gain back the weight because hey we're going at such a high intensity that once revise cameras cut off, there is no Jill and Bob. Or whomever is on the show now.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    I understand their motivation but don't understand their endurance.

I'm a long distance cyclist (who eased up on the long distance cycling and gained a bit of weight which is what brought me here), so I do understand the endurance. I also understand that it is a matter of building up to it.

Just keep increasing the distance, and all of a sudden what you thought was a long distance before becomes a short training ride. :)

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    cobainbuzz wrote: »
    Its horrible, just another excuse to exploit fat people

yup its vile
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I love to see the before and afters. I agree a more in depth focus on nutrition would be good.

All in all I enjoy it...
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When I first changed my lifestyle around 7 years ago, I started by logging everything I ate, running and watching all the seasons of the biggest looser I could find. There was a lot of fast forwarding through the emotional talks which didn't really inspire me, but I loved seeing the transformations. Definitely motivated me, even if I know the format is not the way to a permanent healthy weight loss.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Used to love that show. The Bob/Jillian friendly rivalry, the workouts, challenges, Jillian. I could see they were making the contestants very uncomfortable, but just figured, hey they've sat on a couch for years, gained 100+ lbs of excess fat, they would be uncomfortable no matter what they're doing. It actually inspired me to workout for longer, since I figured if they could workout for six hours, I could for two.

The info on basically abuse of the contestants kind of took the wind out of my sails a bit. But more importantly, I watched one of the Jillian returns seasons/episodes and I'm just like - is this how a woman does her job, she's coming across as just completely unprofessional and a bit crazy. She's explained why she felt she had to be so confrontational (no idea how long you have each contestant, so you have a make a hell of an impression to get them to understand their situation, learn as much as possible and change their life). Ultimately the show has been on for many, many seasons. Perhaps realistically, it used to be just what I needed at one point, and now, maybe not so much