Full body workout with weight training?

Options
Would it be ok to do a 6 day a week cardio/sculpt program along with a 3 day weight lifting program? The 6 day program has some strength training with resistance bands but mostly uses your own body weight. Is this over- training?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What is the end goal that you hope to achieve. Running those programs concurrently isn't likely a good idea and will not be an effective use of your time & effort.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    elelja945 wrote: »
    Would it be ok to do a 6 day a week cardio/sculpt program along with a 3 day weight lifting program? The 6 day program has some strength training with resistance bands but mostly uses your own body weight. Is this over- training?

Whether or not that is over training will depend on the individual. Are you fairly fit already, or are you new to exercise? You can definitely give it a try. If you feel like you aren't recovering between workouts, and you have no energy for the rest of your day/life, then you need to cut back a little. But if you feel great, then go for it.

For what it's worth, though, if you go with a weight program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women, you WILL be getting a full body workout, complete with body sculpting/recomposition if you are eating at maintenance or slight deficit. Then you can supplement that with 2-3 days a week of cardio (running, biking, swimming, etc.) just to keep your cardiovascular fitness up.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Depends on the lifting program. If you're going to be lifting heavy, you might be able to get away with it for the first month or two, assuming you start really light. After that, you're going to have recovery issues.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Is it overtraining? There's only one way to find out.
  • elelja945
    elelja945 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm not lifting very heavy, only 20lb dumbbells, so 40lb max. The days I do both are my 2 days off plus one, not consecutive, morning/evening split. Saturday rest. Thanks all for your advice. Will definitely listen to my body.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is it overtraining? Maybe, maybe not... lots of variables here. Is it the most efficient? Not likely.