Swimming and Hair care

Options
I wasn't even sure where to post this one :)

So I've started swimming again 3-4 x per week just wanting to know if anyone has good tips on hair products .. its killing my hair being in the pool so often !!

Suggestions anyone?

Replies

• louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wear a swimming cap?
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Bathing caps hunny!!!!! If your hair is still getting wet under them, then you can use a clarifying shampoo on it after you swim to help take the chemicals out, it works great.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo twice and then with your normal conditioning shampoo. The clarifying shampoo will remove the chlorine from your hair. Paul Mitchell has one...I believe it Shampoo 1 but I'm not totally sure. It will be on the front of the shampoo bottle of any brand that carries it.
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    once a week treat your hair, get some ohair oil and soak over night then do 2 x shampoos in the morning and a nice long condition. I ALWAYS do a long condition. I leave it in as long as possible and wash my body do any leg shaving etc face scrubs then i rinse the conditioner off at the last minute, it does extend my shower time but not by much. Or you could have a long relaxing bath and wash your hair 1st and then soak read a book enjoy a glass of wine etc whilst conditioner is soaking in your hair!

Good luck, hope that helps! x
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Wet your hair with "good" tap water first........it is only going to soak up so much water.....fill it with tap instead of chlorinated water...and a chelating shampoo to use once a week, followed my deep conditioner.:smile:
  • sapphirerose924
    Options
    I use swimmer's shampoo. I get it at Sally Beauty Supply. I wet my hair first in the shower in the fitness center, use a little of the leave in Swimmer's condition, and put my hair up.

Works great!
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    awesome guys thanks will check those products out for sure ..
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I use a leave in conditioner before getting in the pool. Basically, I soak the hair with it first so that it protects the hair from the chlorine.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I wear a swimming cap because my hair is loc'd. If it gets wet, especially with the chlorine I have t wash it and drying my locs means sitting under a hood dryer for an hour and a half. That's not very healthy when you go 4 - 5 days a week. I shopped around and finally found a silicone swim cap that fits all my hair.

Other women in class apply a coating of conditioner before class or wear swim caps as well.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to wear a swimming cap (I don't), fully soak your hair in regular tap water prior to getting in the pool. Your hair will not absorb as much of the chlorine if it is already wet first! Then as soon as you get out of the water, be sure to rinse your hair very well.