Drinking when you arent thirsty

Options
So we all have heard the "drink 8 glasses of water a day" as the recommended amount, but should you drink when you aren't thirsty to meet this goal?

I'm drinking all water (no sodas and etc, a swig of juice with meds in the morning is it) but I can't make myself drink 6 bottles of water a day. I end up peeing every 30 minutes and feeling bloated from fullness. I drink 2, maybe 3 and that's it. If I only drunk when I was actually thirsty it would be one bottle probably. It may be a stupid question but is thirst like hunger, do you need to control it yourself? I've always been slightly dehydrated, (all blood/urine tests, anytime I'm in the hospital I get a bag of fluid) not badly but always needing to drink more. Used to all I drank was juices really. I don't like soda, love juice. But when I did it wasn't much, I only drank when I ate.

Now I've been drinking only water and as much as I can, sipping on it throughout the day but it's difficult to drink as much as I apparently should when I'm not thirsty. So should you, or should you drink as you feel you need to?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I generally try to hit at least 32 ounces (1 water bottle) whenever I am at work, and then drink whenever I'm thirsty throughout the day. I'm not going to force feed 64 ounces of fluids into me if I'm truly not thirsty, but I do try to get liquids in via multiple sources (juice, water, coffee, ect) throughout the day.
  • tangeetolose
    tangeetolose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm able to do it. I pace my 8 glasses out. For every cup of coffee or tea I allow myself I do the equivalent of 2 cups of water.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've read several articles now stating that this is a myth. If I even try to drink that much I don't get anything done because I'm in the bathroom all day. I drink when I'm thirsty and extra when I work out, but I don't stress out if I don't get that much water.
    nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html?_r=0
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think I'll try to stick with the "pale yellow pee" rule lol. If I drink 8 glasses a day I literally pee ALL day long. 2-4 (16oz) bottles? Eh, couple times a day, like normal. I want to drink enough to flush toxins and be hydrated but not so much I leave my bladder begging me to stop, haha.

I do drink A LOT when I exercise though. I easily down 2 bottles or more in a 30-60 min workout. I get super thirsty when I exercise, but if I have a lazy day I don't drink much.