Pea Protein?

Athena413
Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
Have any of you ever used pea protein? Good? Bad? Waste of money? Pure awesomeness?

I'm having a hard time adapting to a vegan-like diet without being way under on protein and way over on carbs and I'm not interested in soy products. I was googling high protein, low carb vegan foods and stumbled across NOW Sports Pea Protein. For one scoop is has only 130 calories, 1g carbs, 2g fat, and 28g protein. It sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, but I'm hesitant to buy it if it's really not all that great for you.

Thoughts?

Replies

• woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    I used NitroFusion which has pea and also artichoke proteins. I liked it but found it to be high in sodium.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    I have also been seeing this and am curious to know if it is any good!
  • CJuliaV
    CJuliaV Posts: 34 Member
    Hi,

I follow The Blood Sugar Solution by Dr. Hyman and asked my nutritionist about pea protein powder last week for morning smoothies. she did some research with her other clients and sent this:

"the plant based protein powders tend to taste plant-like...especially Sunwarrior brand. I would recommend Vega One or Manitoba Harvest Hemp 50, both taste great in a shake...I also recommend unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk instead of water. And a banana does wonders.. do 1/2 banana with the blueberries."

I don't eat bananas yet -- too much sugar. But I might slice and freeze one, and use 1/4 of one in a smoothie.
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Try green (or almost green) bananas for lower sugar content.

I started on pea protein recently. It's protein-rich and supports the dual goals of (a) weight loss and (b) muscle development. It's usually suitable for vegans as well. Great replacement for red meat if you're cutting down or eliminating.

The pea protein recipes advise a handful of berries (your choice) ... 55grams to 125grams. This masks the golden pea flavour inherent. (My brand also comes in chocolate, vanilla and banana.

URL for my Australian product: http://www.yourchemistshop.com.au/vital-protein-pea-protein-chocolate-1kg.html

This sort of stuff is available pretty much world-wide.
  • WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    I have had good success with pea protein and use it in my morning smoothie to get the extra protein that i was missing. I have tried the vanilla and chocolate-almond but really prefer the plain since I vary the ingredients of my smoothie every day. Douglas Labs Ultimate protein plus. I also use SunWarrior vegan protein powder...plain, chocolate or vanilla.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    For Vegans, that's unfortunately the best you can do.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    I love a vega one shake with extra spinach, frozen banana, Greek yogurt & ice cubes.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    I like the chocolate Orgain (pea protein vegan blend) with unsweetened almond milk. Very convenient when I'm running late and need something fast.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I've tried now pea protein. Taste was ok. Liked the hemp one same brand as well. Did you know quinoa is a complete protein? I try to avoid soy but have you tried quorn products made with mycoprotein? Low carb too. Ezekiel bread is a good protein source. Edamame is high in protein. As well as sundried tomatoes. Beans and lentils are good protein sources.
  • swollnectar
    swollnectar Posts: 9 Member
    Plant Fusion Vanilla Bean Protein, strawberries, bananas, coconut milk. Delicious.