High protein, low calorie, non-perishable lunches

Options
g_warne
g_warne Posts: 28
I'm looking for ideas for lunches that are high in protein, no more than 300 cals, and can last unrefrigerated for about 4-6hrs. There are many days where I'm out and about most of the day and have nowhere to keep food cool. I tend to bring pb&j sandwiches (they don't fill me up and are high in cals), or a "sushi bowl" I make with vegetables, brown rice, seaweed, soy sauce and wasabi, but I'm getting bored and the pb&j is too high in cals and the sushi bowl doesn't have much protein. Suggestions would be great!

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've got an insulated lunch bad which I stick three freezer packs in to keep my lunch cool. That way I can prepare a healthy lunch in a Tupperware box and keep it fresh. For a high-protein lunch, I like tuna with tinned lentils, salad and salad dressing. Or chicken breast with home-made potato salad.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I bought some containers at Target that you stick in the freezer and then put your food into and it keeps everything nice and cold.
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    I love Kaysays John West Skipjack - Tuna Salad from a Mediterranean Recipe. One can is 190 calories and it tastes great put onto Ryvita Original Crackerbread or Rye crackers.
  • skidia
    skidia Posts: 5
    Options
    Hmm, I like tuna and cannelloni bean salad which isn't too perishable- the contents being cooked and out of cans.

If you were somewhere really hot, you could take the ingredients in their tins and mix 'em up on the spot! If I were you I would buy some small, single portion sized, tins of tuna (natural, not with oil or brine- no draining required) and beans. Make up a dressing of chopped onion and balsamic vinegar and put it in a small bottle or pot, and carry all three components with you, together with a bowl and fork of course!

It is a bit heavier lugging he cans around but hey, class it as light weightlifting!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Also, if your worried about protein and cant figure out what to make, just take some protein powder with you and mix it into some water to add to your lunch then you dont need to worry about missing the protein!
  • chwisdeen
    chwisdeen Posts: 4
    Options
    Try mixing up your "sushi bowl" with some edamame beans and/or quinoa on top.
    They're pretty indestructible out of the fridge for that period of time and are high in protein.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    not too sure about an entire lunch, but if you can balance sodium, cheese sticks, and beef jerky!
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    Weight watchers do lots of canned lunch size tuna salad mixes which you could pop onto some oatcakes? Or take a ready made salad with you and have the tuna with that!
  • evenidomhnaill
    Options
    You should maybe think about getting a thermos lunch box and flask or something similar? You could have soup kept hot in the flask and maybe low gi bread with it. If this is to hot for time of year you could make low carb wraps with chicken/tuna,etc with salad( i used to get my low carb wraps online but some shops have them). Pita bread with spicy chicken and salad. chopped up raw veggies with a dip, cheese, nuts,
  • BryantJefferson
    Options
    I make a meal called chicken breast bites. I place three boneless breast on my George Foreman grill seasoned to my liking for around 5minutes, but you can cook to your preference. After it has finished cooking, I cut the breast into bite sized peices and place them in a sealed tupperware bowl. No matter what the temperature, it will last you all day. Even if you leave them in a hot sweltering car, when you get to them, you would have "warm" litely seasoned chicken breast bites...Smile! You could also get Pita wraps to place your chicken bites into. That would really make a good, quick, healthy meal that the temperature won't effect.

3 Breast= 69g protein, 330 cals

2 Breast= 46g protein, 220 cals
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    Look for recipes for cold bean salads that can also be eaten at room temps. Chick peas are very healthy....try some cold recipes with those too.