Seafood/fish recipes

Options
yxlr8
yxlr8 Posts: 67 Member
Trying to introduce more seafood and fish recipes into the family diet but so far inland they fresh seafood is non existent and dear as poison when you can get it, so I'm after recipes that work ok from frozen and appealing to kids and hubby other than tuna bake...

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I buy fish filets-frozen, almost any kind you like. I line a big pan with parchment paper (here it's called oven paper) and place the filets in the bottom. I usually buy enough to cover,since they shink with cooking. I drizzle with olive oil, salt, and lemon pepper. I peel alot of potatoes and slice them. I put them in a big bowl and add some olive oil, salt, lemon pepper, paprika, and a couple rosemary twigs (if you've got fresh, if not use dried) and mix well. Put potatoes on top of fish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 180° for an hour usually, depending on how much you're making and how your oven works. The top should be crusty. If the fish filets are dry add a little water before baking.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    I also make alot of pasta and risotto with seafood, since my husband doesn't eat meat. If you're interested in a recipe or two you can let me know.
  • yxlr8
    Options
    I also make alot of pasta and risotto with seafood, since my husband doesn't eat meat. If you're interested in a recipe or two you can let me know.

That would be great, thanks :-)
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    what about fish taco's made with whole wheat, corn or regular tortillas? I just buy frozen tilapia, and then oven roast it in a tray with some olive oil and some mexican seasoning (you can buy the premixed pack). Add tomato, avocado and red onion salsa, some lettuce and perhaps some sliced jalapenos and squeeze over lime. Easy, would probably appeal to kids and great source of protein!
  • jdakid1017
    jdakid1017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I buy fish filets-frozen, almost any kind you like. I line a big pan with parchment paper (here it's called oven paper) and place the filets in the bottom. I usually buy enough to cover,since they shink with cooking. I drizzle with olive oil, salt, and lemon pepper. I peel alot of potatoes and slice them. I put them in a big bowl and add some olive oil, salt, lemon pepper, paprika, and a couple rosemary twigs (if you've got fresh, if not use dried) and mix well. Put potatoes on top of fish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 180° for an hour usually, depending on how much you're making and how your oven works. The top should be crusty. If the fish filets are dry add a little water before baking.

Hi I'm relatively new to the app. But I would like a recipe including the seafood. Preferably salmon. Thank you.

• GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy frozen fish too; prawns, shrimp, tuna steaks, salmon fillets. I just let them thaw in the fridge then generally will fry and serve with brown rice or salad.
    I love to do the prawns or shrimp in coconut oil, chilli and garlic. The tuna steaks I just season with pepper and rock salt and dry fry on a non stick pan. The salmon I usually grill and season it with lemon rind and black pepper.
  • snowflake954
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jdakid1017 wrote: »

Hi I'm relatively new to the app. But I would like a recipe including the seafood. Preferably salmon. Thank you.

I like to do salmon simply--grilled. I have to use the grill in my oven. I buy a nice piece of salmon, put it skin side up under the grill until it blackens and bubbles. Then I flip it over, add salt and lemon pepper and grill til golden and a little crispy. Serve with fresh squeezed lemon juice. The leftovers are also great.

If i make salmon and pasta it isn't exactly low-cal, but here goes. I buy smoked salmon, usually wild (Chinook) if I can get it. I slice it in strips. In a non-stick pan I put a little olive oil, heat it up and throw the salmon strips in. I cook them just a little (most fish and sea food should not be over cooked) , put in some lemon pepper, some vegetable broth concentrate, and cream. The cream I buy here is not sweet, it's for cooking. This sauce should be a little liquid--not too thick, add water if necessary. Salt to taste. Don't cook it too long-3 min or heated through is fine. Cook your chosen pasta, al dente (never mushy or gluey) drain and add the sauce. Toss together.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    I love frozen sea bass and sea bream, thawed and pan fried. The trick for getting a crisp skin is to make sure thawed fillets are really dry. I lay down a layer of newspaper, then line with paper towel or paper napkins and rest the fish skin side down while I am still puttering about the kitchen. When ready to cook, score the skin side 3 times through the thickest part of the flesh (not all the way through) to help keep the fish flat and help with even cooking. Season. Pan fry in a little olive oil skin side down for 3 minutes. Turn over and cook a further minute. If fillets are very thick and the fish isn't done, turn off the heat and leave to cook another minute on the residual heat.

I like to serve with Cambodian lime and pepper sauce or salsa verde:
    https://maknao.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/cambodian black pepper dip/
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11787026/Simple-salsa-verde-recipe.html

Smoked salmon risotto doesn't require fresh fish either. If you can't find the lite marscapone substitute Philly lite:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5965/smoked-salmon-and-lemon-risotto
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/08/grilled-tilapia-pesto-foil-packets.html

I don't eat tilapia but have done different variations of foil packets with other fish. During the winter months, I cook them in the oven.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Check out the fish/seafood section of BudgetBytes.com. Not only are the recipes super easy and OMGDELICIOUS, but very budget-conscious and family-friendly :)
  • greyzie123x
    greyzie123x Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The fish tacos sound good!!!
  • yxlr8
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/08/grilled-tilapia-pesto-foil-packets.html

I don't eat tilapia but have done different variations of foil packets with other fish. During the winter months, I cook them in the oven.

Never heard of tilapia...
  • yxlr8
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas :)