Couch 25k

Options
Hi all

I've recently started the couch 25k and wanted to see if anyone else has started!
I've done week 1, day3 which is 90 seconds walking with 60 seconds of jogging for 20 minutes.

The program aims to have you running 5k within 9 weeks.

Replies

• Mistyvs
    Mistyvs Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've done it. It's a great program. I graduated from that and went to a 10K, then a half marathon, then a full marathon.
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I graduated just before Christmas and yesterday I signed up for two 10ks later this year. It was a fabulous programme. I couldn't believe how much progress I made in the 9 weeks. Good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Yup. I loved it.
    Check out the c25k group on mfp
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm also a graduate of the program and highly recommend it.
    Just so there is no disappointment for you, C25K will have you running 30 minutes straight in 9 weeks, which may not (probably won't be) 5K of distance. Speed isn't important at this point. Build up your stamina and speed will come later.
    For encouragement, help and answers to any question you may have, check out the C25K group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
    You can do this.
  • kristylbain
    kristylbain Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone - you are all very inspirational having completed it already!
    I will check out that thread. I completed week 2 day 1 today which was a bit difficult!
    I will presevere!! :)
  • PaytraB
    Options
    You can do this and are off to a great start! If it's difficult, slow down. You probably feel as if you're already going really slow but the biggest mistake people make is going too fast for their current ability. Then they give up. As a rule of thumb: if you can't speak a short sentence out loud while running, slow down; you're going too fast.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm not undergoing any programs, but aim to register myself for a 5k fun run in March. I haven't exercised for 2 years!
  • HRehmel
    HRehmel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the Couch-2-5k today! I did it last year as well. It's a great program!
  • kristylbain
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    You can do this and are off to a great start! If it's difficult, slow down. You probably feel as if you're already going really slow but the biggest mistake people make is going too fast for their current ability. Then they give up. As a rule of thumb: if you can't speak a short sentence out loud while running, slow down; you're going too fast.

I really like that - thank you.
  • kristylbain
    Options
    HRehmel wrote: »
    I started the Couch-2-5k today! I did it last year as well. It's a great program!

Good job! How did you go?
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I really like that - thank you.

It's the best running advice I've gotten. I still use it and it works every time. The hard part is not getting frustrated at what I see as a "slow" pace. Sometimes we are our own worst obstacles to success.
    Keep reminding yourself that speed doesn't matter; getting it done matters.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I love Couch to 5k! I've done it a couple times and worked my way up to a half marathon! Aside from the "slow down" recommendation, my only other advice would be to repeat days/ weeks if you feel like you need to. And rest if you need it. It's okay if it takes longer than 9 weeks, you'll get there! And once you can run 2 or 3 miles without stopping, you have the tools to work up to ANY distance you want! Good luck, you'll love it!