Menu included - What should I eat for dinner tonight at this

Options
Hi MFP,

I am going to a restaurant tonight and need help in picking something from this menu, the least calorific/most healthy etc. I will have about 600/650 calories to spare.

I'm only on day 3 of this weight loss journey, so I don't want to screw it up now. I'll probably skip the starter unless I can get a starter as a main.

I've already taken off the courses that have ingredients I don't like (except for the mystery soup, I won't know until I get there), so don't worry, you can pick anything from the list without the fear that I won't eat it.

Thanks in advance,
DoctorWhoFan

Starters
Freshly made soup of the day with crusty focaccia £3.95

12" pizza bread smothered with garlic butter £3.95
Add mozzarella £4.50

Arancini- Chestnut mushroom, sundried tomato & parmesan risotto ball stuffed with buffalo mozzarella deep fried in a herb crumb with a maple dressing £6.25

Antipasto- Salami, bresaola, prosciutto and buffalo mozzarella with chargrilled vegetables, marinated olives accompanied by garlic bread sticks, a fresh rosemary and anchovy oil
For one £6.95

Glass House bruschetta: lightly garlic toasted ciabatta topped with baby plum tomatoes, red onion, black olives and torn basil leaves with fresh basil pesto £5.95

Salads
Salad with cos lettuce, parmesan, anchovies and croutons with:
Classic Caesar dressing, starter £5.45 / main £8.95
Chicken Caesar, starter £5.95 / main £9.95

Beef tomato, buffalo mozzarella and fresh basil salad with a green pesto oil dressing
starter £5.45 / main £8.75

Pasta
linguini with homemade bolognese sauce £8.45

Ground pork, chipotle chili & chorizo meatballs on tagliatele with a red wine, tarragon & roasted red pepper jus £8.95

Farfalle, smoked bacon, savoy cabbage & garlic butter with parmesan shavings £8.75

Rigatoni with harissa marinated chicken, green olives and red chillies in a tomato & mascarpone cream £9.50

Home made Glass House lasagne with dressed leaves and garlic toasted ciabatta bread £9.25 / vegetarian £8.75

Tagliatelle Carbonara with fresh egg, pancetta, onion, parmesan and cream £9.25

Pizza

Classic margherita pizza £6.95

Garlic butter, prosciutto, rocket, plum tomatoes and parmesan £8.95

Salami, chorizo, pepperoni, baby plum tomatoes and fresh chilli £9.25

Thanks again for reading this post! Have a great day!

Replies

• cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    yeah all of those options sound awful, if anything I'd go for the bruschetta or the antipasto

(by awful I mean from a weight loss standpoint, they all sound delicious)
  • appleskye
    appleskye Posts: 54
    Options
    Mmmmmmm pasta. This menu sounds so nice...but not very healthy! I want to say the salad but they often hide a lot of calories, maybe you could ask to leave off the parmesan/croutons? I'm veggie so I don't really know, but the meatballs would at least give some protein and don't have any cheese! You could always be boring and order the soup. Just make sure picking something 'healthy' doesn't ruin your evening - one cheat meal once in a while is fine. Have a nice time!
  • roadrunner32
    Options
    The menu looks yummy I'm already hungry and there's a long way til lunch :(

Anyway my choice will be:

Glass House bruschetta: lightly garlic toasted ciabatta topped with baby plum tomatoes, red onion, black olives and torn basil leaves with fresh basil pesto £5.95

Salad with cos lettuce, parmesan, anchovies and croutons with:
    Chicken Caesar main £9.95

Enjoy!
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well some of the stuff I have no idea what it is, but this is what Id choose...

Skip the starter

Salad-get the salad with the parmesan on the side with no dressing and bring your own low cal/low fat dressing. If you dont want to do that or dont have a fav, have the dressing on the side so you can control how much you put on.

Entree-I like the linguini with homemade bolognese sauce and see if they have whole wheat pasta...either way, get a box as soon as you get the meal and immediately put half of it in the box. Its an awesome portion controller and helps prevent from eating the whole dang thing.

Whatever entree you pick, cut it in half and bring the rest home for lunch tomorrow. ;)

Good Luck
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Hiya. if this is week one of your diet you should be pretty strict and avoid the heavy carbs (so that cuts out the pasta & pizza), so I would go for the Antipasto or the Buffalo mozz to start, and then for main the chicken ceaser (with no dressing).
    To be honest its a pretty calorific menu...
    Enjoy xx
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'd have soup without the bread and then one of the salads without the dressing.
    I'd steer well clear of the pasta :smile:

Whatever your choice make sure you enjoy it and don't worry too much if you go over your cals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If i was being good, i would not have a starter and go for the chicken caesar salad, with the dressing on the side.

Good luck!
  • DoctorWhoFan
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am going to break from what others have said and suggest the bolognaise. I know, it's carbs, but you have 650 odd kcals left and it will be filling and you will be satisfied. Just had a google of NV's for spag bol and as an example I found http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_content/italian_food.htm have it as 720kcal, so maybe cut back a little tomorrow, or do a bit more excercise. Actually, that whole list might be helpfull.

Enjoy your meal :)
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think I know where you're eating!

If I were you and couldn't skip starter I would check out what the soup is and have it without the bread. Soup is generally pretty good because it's usually lots of stock/veg (if it's not a major creamy one). That, or the antipasta (sans breadsticks).

For mains I would go for the meatballs becaus ethey taste good(!) and the sauce isn't creamy.

If you were being really good why not order two starters instead of starter and main?

However, if I was just being me I'd probably say blow it and spend an extra hour exercising tomorrow ;-)
  • DoctorWhoFan
    Options
    Hehe at Grumpelina. Thank you very much! The two starters idea sounds great. I hope the soup is something I like! If not, then I'll hit the gym tomorrow or go for a really long walk :D
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your dinner and go for a good long walk on the coastal path.

Have fun!
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Or instead of having something that you may not enjoy as much as something else, have something that you like, but be sensible with the amount that you're eating. Just because the plate/ bowl is full DOESN'T mean you need to eat the whole thing!