Breakfast

Options
tercasey
tercasey Posts: 45 Member
Hey All!

One thing I'm not great with is breakfast, I usually wake up at 6.30 am to get to work and have something in work at 9. It's usually a cereal bar with a black coffee.

Does anyone have any tips/recipes for quick healthy breakfasts I could whip up in the morning before leaving for work? Cereal is generally a no-go for me as I'm not a huge fan of milk...

Thank you!

Replies

• Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    An egg takes seconds to cook in a pan or in the microwave. You could have it with toast or make your own egg McMuffins, with a couple slices of thinly sliced ham.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Options
    I've been slicing a portobello mushroom and sautéing it with spinach and salsa and a couple chopped olives, then scrambling with an egg and sprinkling with cheese. It honestly only takes minutes and is filling and low-cal.
  • tercasey
    Options
    That is such a good idea @moyen2 , thank you! I love mushrooms. I'll try that in the morning as I have the ingredients already.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Options
    You're welcome! Enjoy:)

• Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,471 Member
    Options
    Have you tried yoghurt (low fat/greek/fruit flavoured) on your preferred cereal?
  • MissyN452
    MissyN452 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my weakness to. Boiled eggs last a few days in the fridge (shells on) and i like them cold in summer (Aussie, summer here at the moment.) It makes an easy and quick breakfast. I will grab an egg or 2 to take to work before my start time (teacher - always there early) and make a smoothie for the 40 min roadtrip.

A quick mason / quick brekky is some yoghurt, frozen berries, topped with a bit of museli. I use a bircher mix that has some dried fruit in it. Packages well the night before and no prep in the morning - just eat it.
  • ChelseaRamay
    ChelseaRamay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make a syntha 6 shake in the morning with 1 cup of frozen red grapes, 4 oz almond milk and 1 light and fit yogurt. Low cal and very tasty plus 22 grams of protein. Should keep you full until 2-3pm.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I cook eggs in the microwave (or hard boil them), eat a yogurt cup and sometimes a protein or granola bar, and I'm good for hours (which is great considering i get up at 3 am for work and don't usually get a break until 10 am or after). A homemade egg muffin is easy too, buy come Canadian bacon and cook it while your egg cooks, toast an English muffin, put it all together. Oatmeal is fast (i can't drink milk so i either use water or almond milk). Or you can scramble some eggs, add veggies and cheese, pour into a muffin tin, bake them in the oven the day before, then throw one or two in the microwave in the morning.

You could also just eat leftovers from supper the night before, which is something i do quite often.
  • tercasey
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your ideas! Successful two days far. I tried almond milk today for the first time, much better!
  • alp_19
    alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is egg whites with either salsa, reduced fat cheese, or both. Egg whites are low in calories but very high in protein. So you can have a lot of them and stay full for a while. And with salsa and cheese it tastes delicious. My go to is 5 egg whites, 1/4 cup of reduced fat cheddar, and some salsa. Around 180 calories and lots of protein.
  • helenpizzie
    helenpizzie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    one of my favourites is to line a muffin tin, with prosciutto ham, and break an egg into the muffin holder. sprinkle with pepper and pop in the oven for 20 minutes on 175. i bake 6 at a time. they are delicious hot or cold and i can either eat them at home or take them to work. they are only 100 calories each so i usually afford myself 2 :-)
  • OldManGenius
    OldManGenius Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I prepare a veggie mixture on the weekend that includes equal parts of zucchini (1 medium), red bell pepper (1/2 large), sweet onion (1/2 medium) and mushroom (6-8) and 1/2 part tomato (1 medium plum). I use 2T olive oil to saute with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning. I then use some in omelet on weekend and store rest in frig for use during the week. In the morning beat 1 egg with a T of skim milk & salt & pepper. Add 1/2 cup of the veggie mix and when cooked add 1T shredded mexican cheese blend and wrap in a low carb wheat wrap with 1T salsa. Roll it up & head out the door.
  • deegrl
    deegrl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love mashing up bananas that are starting to brown and mixing them with two eggs to get a batter like texture. You then put it on a frying pan and it tastes like a banana pancake! I'll add a little honey and cut up some berries so yummy! :)
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I bake liquid egg whites in muffin tins. Just spray the muffin cups with non stick cooking spray and then measure out about 2 tbsp of the egg whites out of the carton. You could add whatever to want to them. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. They are good hot or cold :smiley:
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I also do eggs in a muffin tin. I typically keep it simple and beat eggs and add veggies and bake. This weekend I did something a little fancier: I placed parchment muffin papers in each tin and then added half a slice of turkey, 1 tbsp of salsa, and eggs that i beat up with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I baked them at 350 for about 10 minutes. You could even sprinkle cheese on top. Super delicious and satisfying breakfast.
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You can make freezer burritos or breakfast sandwiches. Take an hour on the weekend to assemble them and just reheat in the morning. I like doing ham, cheese and egg on English muffins or something Mexican with egg, black beans, etc and serve with salsa.
  • KwonJiYong69
    KwonJiYong69 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I measure our coconut milk, porridge outs and syrup in the evening and cling film it all so it's ready for the morning. I just microwave the coconut milk and its done.

I also wake up early and have to leave the house by 6:45 for college .
  • mlh71_2000
    mlh71_2000 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the hardest meal of the day, isn't it? Who has time?! I've started cooking eggs the night before to put on an English muffin in the morning. I can eat it in the car without being too messy. Overnight oatmeal is another really good one, but harder to eat on the go. I eat a lot of Morningstar Farms products - I love to eat their burgers for breakfast. Just pop a patty in the microwave and put it on bread, in a wrap, or directly on a plate. A decent amount of protein to hold me over, and yummy, too.