Any tips on overcoming sugar addiction? I'm going crazy

Options
alp_19
alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
I've had a sweet tooth for as long as I can remember and when I was younger my family always had ice cream and soda and cookies around the house. In high school and the beginning of college, I realized how bad it all was and started trying to eat healthier/lose weight. Now it's all turned into healthy eating alternating with binging which is testing my sanity and making me gain weight.

I'll have a super successful day with low sugar and fresh food and feel great. Then the next day I end up binging on chocolate, cereal, anything I can get my hands on. Any time I'm sad or nervous it's become an instant reaction. It feels like a genuine addiction. I know that it'll make me feel sick and shaky when the sugar crash comes, but I do it over and over again. I tried a sugar cleanse once and after 3 days felt miserable and ended up binging all day. If I thought it would work I might try again but it makes me nervous. Has anyone had any success with a cleanse? Gradual decreasing? I just don't know what to do.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think the issue might be that on your healthy eating days, you've cut your carbs too low, which is why you have wild cravings for sugar/carbs the next day. I tend to eat moderate or low carb (compared to the standard american diet) anyway, but if I'm too low (for me) for a few days, I'll have a day where I want to eat everything in sight.

Can you open your diary or give some idea as to what you typically eat? A slight increase in carbs or just changing how you spread out your macros during the day might be the thing you need to stay on track with your plan without the binge.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to only eat healthy until you binge on sweets, have you tried eating mostly healthy with some sweet stuff on occasion?
  • alp_19
    Options
    Kgeyser - I've only logged two days so far because I've just joined this website but they provide a pretty good example of the difference. Good day two days ago, atrocious day yesterday. I'll open it up. It definitely might be that I'm not getting enough of other micronutrients. Would not enough fat also contribute to that? I know I have problems getting enough healthy fats.

Stevencloser - I think that's what I need to put into my routine. The longest I've stayed successful was when I was having a Special K brownie as my night time treat to look forward to. If I avoid binging on them that might help a lot. Thank you!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to only eat healthy until you binge on sweets, have you tried eating mostly healthy with some sweet stuff on occasion?

This. OP there is nothing inherently bad about sugar, and many people are able to continue to eat sweets in moderation and find that actually helps them overcome the uncontrollable cravings. By not making them completely off limits you may find that they have less power over you. If there are certain foods that are triggering for you, you may want to eliminate those temporarily or even permanently until you get a handle on being able to eat sweets in moderation.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I wanted to suggest having a sweet snack everyday? Also, there's ways to take fruits and make them into lower sugar/carb desserts. I like to cut up and apple, sprinkle some honey and cinnamon and bake it in the oven. It is a tasty, guilt free snack for me.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Could you throw "bad" things away? Such as cereals with 19 grams of sugar for a 1/2 cup serving? I cannot be tempted.
    Buy a bag of apples to grab for those cravings instead.
  • Aoife_Eile
    Aoife_Eile Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Nuts are really good to curb sugar cravings. Cashew nuts are naturally very sweet and Brazil nuts are very filling. Maybe try a handful of assorted nuts when you get a hankering and see how you feel?
  • alp_19
    Options
    Thank you all. I need logical reminders to cut through my bad habits and perfectionism sometimes. You're right - having sweets isn't bad and at this point cutting them out isn't realistic at all. I think I might try planning a healthy (or even not-so-healthy) dessert for the end of the day so I have something to look forward to. Lfred12 - I love love love that idea. I think I'll have that tonight if it fits into my calories.

As for crack and heroin, that's a solid back-up plan. :wink: Don't knock it til you try it, right? What's the worst that could happen?
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'd suggest candied ginger as a sweet snack. Sweet and spicy! One small piece (17 cals) satisfies my overdeveloped sweet tooth. Other dried fruits could also work (just not as well for me).
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I try to have my sweets at the end of the day shortly before bed...if I have them earlier I just keep eating them all day long, but if I use them as a reward AFTER I've eaten my healthy food and AFTER I've gotten in my evening workout, then I'm less likely to go crazy on quantity...for me it's all about earning the chocolate every day!!!

I find my cravings are worse if I don't get enough fat in my diet, so if I start having more cravings then I try to add some avocado or use coconut or avocado oil when cooking, anything to consume more healthy fats and that usually helps.

Also, sudden habit changes are hard, maybe just focus on reducing sweets consumption slowly over time would be a more successful strategy.
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I definitely have the same problem as you. I can be very addicted to sugar. For the most part I can curb cravings as long as I make sure my day is filled with the right foods. If it's not, I'll come home from work and just want to gorge on sugary (processed) sweets to fill that void in my stomach. I also have to "hide" any sweets we do have in the house (I try not to buy any to begin with but my husband likes his Oreo cookies) in the basement pantry. Once I put them in that pantry, after a few days I usually forget about them. If you can find a good healthy balance, there shouldn't be any reason you have to cut little sweet treats out of your diet.
    However, if you're looking to cut them out almost completely? I did a sugar cleanse recommended from my acupuncturist. https://www.standardprocess.com/Body-Systems/10-Day-Programs/Blood-Sugar#.VovGyvkrKM8
    That is the information for it. It's a 10 day cleanse where you replace a few (or all) meals with the shake and pills. Your diet should be higher in protein and fats during it and you shouldn't really eat any extra sugar at all during the cleanse. It was a little rough at the beginning but after getting used to the shake and figuring out how to make it taste better (I added a cup of berries and a tsp of honey) it was actually enjoyable. I found my cravings for sugar nearly dissipated and after I finished the cleanse I didn't (and still don't) have cravings for any of the processed sugary crap that's put out there. Now I'll have a serving of (REAL) dark chocolate (not the crap from Hershey) after my dinner for a treat.
    The thing with sugar, is that the more you eat it, the more your body will crave it. It IS an addictive substance that when trying to detox from, you will go through withdrawal! But, the longer you go without sugar, the easier it becomes to stay away from it (at least the unhealthy processed *kitten*).
  • alp_19
    Options
    JanetYellen - When I move out I'll definitely avoid having those kinds of cereals and other bad foods in the house. Right now I'm a college student so when I'm home for break there's always a lot of junk food and when I'm at school the dining halls always have cereals and desserts. But I'm graduating soon so I'm hoping I can be better with more control of the food in the house.

Aolfe_Eile - I should definitely eat more nuts. I've never tried Brazil nuts actually. I usually stick to almonds. But variety would be good!

d_thomas02 - That actually sounds delicious. I love ginger on sushi but I hadn't ever thought of other uses. I'd like to try that.

tcunbeliever - Earning my chocolate every day is something the overachiever in me can get behind. :smile: I have issues with getting enough fat in my diet (I developed a bit of a fat phobia when I first started eating healthier and it's been tough to kick) so that probably isn't helping. It's really good to hear from somebody else who has a sweet tooth and still manages to be successful. Thanks so much.
  • JulieSoko
    JulieSoko Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eating the sweets right after you workout is the best. Your body is a carb burning machine for the next few hours. Moderation and timing are key. I reward myself with 2 Lindor truffles at the end of the day.

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Go on a ketogenic diet.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You may also what to try some meditation or yoga to help curb the emotional part. I have many times picked up a piece of chocolate and had to ask myself "Why am I eating this?" Is the reason that it is a very good chocolate and I will enjoy eating it? Is the reason that I am sad or nervous and believe the chocolate will fix my emotional state? Well the second doesn't work no matter how good or how much you eat.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    angelalp19 wrote: »
    Kgeyser - I've only logged two days so far because I've just joined this website but they provide a pretty good example of the difference. Good day two days ago, atrocious day yesterday. I'll open it up. It definitely might be that I'm not getting enough of other micronutrients. Would not enough fat also contribute to that? I know I have problems getting enough healthy fats.

Stevencloser - I think that's what I need to put into my routine. The longest I've stayed successful was when I was having a Special K brownie as my night time treat to look forward to. If I avoid binging on them that might help a lot. Thank you!

First of all, good for you for logging everything. The second thing that jumps out at me is that you aren't eating back your exercise calories. MFP is designed for you to be eating a portion of those back, I think most people do about 50%. Not eating enough can also lead to binging, and I think you're calorie goal might be little low. I suspect you are much more active than you accounted for in the settings at 21.

I find fat and fiber to be filling, so perhaps playing around with your macros might be helpful as well. There are easy ways to get more fat - full fat or 2% fat yogurt, full fat cheese - without changing your diet drastically. Adding nuts as a snack also works. I would try adding a little more fat, in whatever form you want (it can come from a treat if that helps to keep you on track), and making sure you are eating enough. Try that for a few days and see if you still have the binging urges.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    angelalp19 wrote: »

As for crack and heroin, that's a solid back-up plan. :wink: Don't knock it til you try it, right? What's the worst that could happen?

[Tries to post ASCII art of grim reaper] [epic fail]

;::::;
    ;::::; :;
    ;:::::' :;
    ;:::::; ;.
    ,:::::' ; OOO\
    ::::::; ; OOOOO\
    ;:::::; ; OOOOOOOO
    ,;::::::; ;' / OOOOOOO
    ;:::::::::`. ,,,;. / / DOOOOOO
    .';:::::::::::::::::;, / / DOOOO
    ,::::::;::::::;;;;::::;, / / DOOO
    ;`::::::`'::::::;;;::::: ,#/ / DOOO
    :`:::::::`;::::::;;::: ;::# / DOOO
    ::`:::::::`;:::::::: ;::::# / DOO
    `:`:::::::`;:::::: ;::::::#/ DOO
    :::`:::::::`;; ;:::::::::## OO
    ::::`:::::::`;::::::::;:::# OO
    `:::::`::::::::::::;'`:;::# O
    `:::::`::::::::;' / / `:#
    ::::::`:::::;' / / `#
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'd start the day with a different breakfast, personally. Something with more protein and fats.
    And tell yourself that at 8pm (or some other time after dinner) you can have 3 squares of your favorite chocolate, or 200 calories of your favorite treat or something of that nature.
    Then throughout the day keep an eye on all the sugar you're eating. Try to eat lots more fiber, healthy fats, and protein, with that little yummy treat at the end of the day. Stop buying the things that seem to make you go off the rails. Don't have it around.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP, another thing you might work on is to stop classifying foods as good or bad, or use sweets as a reward for good behavior. That gives it waaaaay more power than it deserves, which is no power at all. It's just food.

I work anything I feel like eating into my allotment for the day, be it fruits and vegetables, yogurt and dairy, or chips and chocolate. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to recommend a book, "The Power of Habit" by Duhigg, to give you some ideas on how to dig deeper in understanding why you love sweets so much. I think you can find a way to make peace with the foods you love.

http://charlesduhigg.com/the-power-of-habit/