Is this normal?!

Options
I've gone from tons of junk food, cola and no exercise to 1300cals, healthier food, no cola, tons of water and regular exercise. And I've GAINED 2LBS!

I've only been logging here for a few days but have been doing this plan for over a week. I'd hoped to see some weight loss to motivate me! Where am I going wrong? Or is it normal to gain at first?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Usually, when you 1st start a new exercise regimen, your muscles will retain water in order to repair themselves, causing a slight bump in weight at the outset. So yeah, normal. Just keep at it.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    ^^agreed. Also, I've noticed that if i pig out one day, i won't see an increase on the scale for 2 or 3 days usually, then another 3 or 4 days to have it come off. I also weigh once a day, first thing in the morning, (i weigh without clothes but if you do wear clothes, wear the same thing every time)...although I've gone a few weeks here without weighing, lol.
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    CatherineElizabeth13 Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I weigh pretty much daily in the morning.
    I've noticed I'm extremely bloated, I'm looking very round. Is that the water consumption increase?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you suddenly changed your diet, esp if you're eating a lot of vegetables that you didn't before, that can cause bloating.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    Increase in water consumption typically encourages your body to release water weight. But yup, sudden diet changes can increase weight temporarily. Honestly, if scale weight bothers you, maybe give it a week and then weigh in, see what happens. If you're still gaining weight, come back and mention it and we can help you with the next step. Since you're pretty early on in your changes, give it some time first. :D
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    That might explain it.
    Bloody carrots.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    That's a creepy emote. Didn't realize until now, lol
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Great! That's prob muscle! You need to get a scale that measures Body Fat, and use it first thing each morning when you wake up. That's the only way to know if you're gaining/losing fat or muscle.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food? If you dont, you could be eating more than you think.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Do you weigh all your food? If you dont, you could be eating more than you think.

This. Weight loss is not necessarily about what you eat, it's about how many calories you are consuming. The best way to know this is by weighing and logging your food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much daily in the morning.
    I've noticed I'm extremely bloated, I'm looking very round. Is that the water consumption increase?

Where are you in your menstrual cycle?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I've gone from tons of junk food, cola and no exercise to 1300cals, healthier food, no cola, tons of water and regular exercise. And I've GAINED 2LBS!

I've only been logging here for a few days but have been doing this plan for over a week. I'd hoped to see some weight loss to motivate me! Where am I going wrong? Or is it normal to gain at first?

I'll gain and lose 2-4 pounds in a single day. I'd say water weight and normal fluctuations. Track for weeks and note trends.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Also something to consider is that sodium intake can cause water retention. So if the food you're eating, even if "healthier" and low calorie, has a lot of sodium in it, you can gain water weight which takes a few days to get rid of.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Op, just do yourself a favor and hide your scale for a month.
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    I'm going to answer to lots of posts in one because Im feelon lazy :)

Menstrual cycle.. none. I'm breastfeeding.
    I do weigh all of my food.

Which foods are low sodium? I've never even though of tracking my sodium intake.