Extreme ways tried to lose weight!

Options
We have all been there, so low down in that pit of dispair that we have attempted everything and anything to lose those extra pounds. For me it was starvation and while i lost a pound or two initially, it would be loaded back on the second i ate something. I even tried sweating and epsom salt baths!
What has been the most extreme way you have tried to lose weight though before you realised that sensible eating and exercise... and of course MFP, was the more suitable route to success!

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Taking diuretics before I realized that they were only dehydrating me (many years ago)
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    When i was about 14 mum put us all on a fruit juice diet where for a week we could only drink fruit juice and that was it no food and no other drinks. . Apparently i ruined it by drinking water. Even then i struggled to stick to a diet.
  • lidunne
    lidunne Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When i was about 14 mum put us all on a fruit juice diet where for a week we could only drink fruit juice and that was it no food and no other drinks. . Apparently i ruined it by drinking water. Even then i struggled to stick to a diet.

A juice diet at 14??? Wow now that is extreme!!
  • Painten
    Options
    Mum had issues with her own weight. It didn't occur to her for a second that it was innapropriate for me and my sister who was a year younger.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

WOW....has it occurred to her now or does she still think that was a good move?
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options

A juice diet at 14??? Wow now that is extreme!!

My mum did something similar to my sisters and I when we were growing up, she didn't want us to have the same weight issues she had - unfortunately her 'plan' had just that effect! By 26 I was on diuretics, appetite suppresants and injecting myself with a growth hormone twice a week (to speed up metabolism), and only eating 300 to 500 cals a day. Of course, every time I stopped i would pile the weight back on (and more). That was a long time ago, I stopped all of that and went the other way and ended up being 231lbs. Had a health scare about 4 years ago and knew I had to change my lyfestyle but did it with a completely balanced diet and exercise, have lost 90lbs since then with only 20 to go. All I can say is keep it natural & balance, it has to be a lifestyle choice, not a diet. :smile:
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've never seriously tried to lose weight until recently. The only extreme thing I tried (which isn't all that extreme) was going to the gym twice a day, AM and PM, seven days a week; a few days later, I realized it was too much for a beginner and decided to just go in the morning, once a day, 6 or 7 days a week depending on my schedule/ condition.

My cousin whom I live with, on the other hand, tried an extreme diet a couple of weeks after I started. He'd have an egg and 2 cups of rice for breakfast, something smaller for lunch, and just one measly tomato for dinner!! And he was MISERABLE. Food was a big source of pleasure in his life, and he was depriving himself a big time. I told him he needed to find a healthy lifestyle that he could ENJOY... He didn't listen. On his third day, he binged and went right back to his old eating habits. :(
  • lidunne
    lidunne Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Isnt it amazing what we will do to ourselves to strive for the perfect body! And yet if we just take the time to eat sensibly and exercise we could have it all at our fingertips! I'm so glad i coped on to myself!
  • Painten
    Options

WOW....has it occurred to her now or does she still think that was a good move?

No..she's not prescribed laxatives permanently as she took them so long to keep her weight down her body can't cope without them. Her weight goes up and down like a yo-yo.