Sodium Nitrates & Nitrites

Options
What is everyones take on nitrates and nitrites? I've been reading that initial studies have been discredited and even claiming benefits from nitrates and nitrites.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have read the article also. It states that nitrates from vegetables are good.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/are-nitrates-and-nitrites-harmful/
    "However, they are also found naturally in foods like vegetables, foods that are generally perceived as healthy and linked to a reduced risk of cancer"
  • naz_20
    naz_20 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I read that. Theres also a good article by Chris Kesser http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon/

I feel that with anything moderation is key.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Not on my radar, I have them down as "something that Americans worry about"
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I have read the article also. It states that nitrates from vegetables are good.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/are-nitrates-and-nitrites-harmful/
    "However, they are also found naturally in foods like vegetables, foods that are generally perceived as healthy and linked to a reduced risk of cancer"

I'm not arguing one way or another about nitrates and nitrites, but the sentence you are quoting does not say that ntirates from vegetables are good. It says that vegetables--not the nitrates in them--are linked to a reduced risk of cancer. That doesn't in any way suggest that it is the nitrates in the vegetables that reduce your risk of cancer. It's more like saying that if you go jogging outdoors along roads, you'll likely inhale car fumes, but jogging is linked to a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease. That would not mean that inhaling car fumes reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lynn,

Actually its about balancing risks with the benefits.

(I haven't read the article the OP linked so just commenting on your post, not the issue of nitrates and nitrites)

In US it is common practice to chlorinate drinking water, even though the practice has been found to cause Disinfection By-Products (DBPs) such as Chloroform, a known carcinogen.

The risk of chlorination is developing bladder cancer after decades of exposure.

The benefit of chlorination is you don't die of cholera tomorrow.

Benefits of chlorination outweigh the risks.

So in your example, would the benefits of jogging outdoors on the road outweigh the risks of breathing exhaust fumes?

Of course there are always more than one risk to evaluate. One could also get hit by a dump truck, or slip on ice, or get bit by a dog, etc.

For me, I choose to jog indoors on a treadmill. I still have other risks to weigh against the benefits of jogging. Radon gas, injury from falling off the treadmill, etc.