Body pump

Options
Hey All!!i have recently started doing a one hour Body pump class 2-3 times a week.
Does anyone know what kind of calorie burn that would be? I don't have a HRM.
I am female, 40, 5' 2", and about 142 lbs.
thank you!!

Replies

• Darjaurhziva
    Darjaurhziva Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi, in average 1 hour burns 300-400kcal, it depends on how heavy do you lift.
  • dmbkss03
    dmbkss03 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was thinking that! I do lower weights on a bar bell. High repetition. No breaks. Constantly going for the entire hour.
  • Darjaurhziva
    Darjaurhziva Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I go to Body pump 1-2 times a week for many years. I like doing it.
  • dmbkss03
    dmbkss03 Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just started a few weeks ago and loving it!! :)
  • winterchildel
    winterchildel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I totally love Body Pump! The burn really depends on how much you lift and all the repetitions are not quite as easy as they seem. I've done a lot of crossfit-style workouts previously, but I had a major muscle ache during my first few weeks of Body Pump. It really can be something else. It's funny though when new guys come in, take much more weight than adviced and give up after the first set. Doing well on the gym floor doesn't make you a Body Pump pro. Endurance is also important :-)
    The best advice I can give to fellow ladies is to not be shy with the weights. There's no risk of bulking up at any of the recommended for Body Pump weights, so make your workout as effective as possible. Once you get the hang of the technique, go for more challenging weights to ramp up things. Enjoy!
  • lulukababa
    lulukababa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't calculate just normal weight lifting calories as the fact that you have to follow the rhythm with the repetitions kind of adds this cardio element to it and it makes it harder.
  • mwmix
    mwmix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You've probably seen that MFP does have BodyPump as an option under cardio exercises. I tend to modify the calorie burn that they project to be slightly lower (maybe 3/4 of what they suggest) just to be on the safe side, though.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love body pump! Under cardio mfp has body pump and suggests 409 cal burn per hour. I figure that at reasonable weights this might be about right but I always aim to only eat half my exercise calories back anyway so that if it overestimates then I don't end up eating too much and gaining weight since I'm still trying tui lose!