Kinda lost?

Options
Please push me in the right direction.
I had lost some weight back in April but quit and gained it back way to quickly!
I have no idea where to start. I don't have the funds to go to a gym so walking and things of that nature are my only exercise resources.
As for the actual food. I was thinking of a diet but i'm not sure which one!

TIA!

Replies

• poarche
    poarche Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    to be quite honest with you, it's hard in the beginning b/c you don't know where to start. have you tried c25k, its a free app on your phone that teaches you slowly but surely how to run a 5k? it jumpstarted my weightloss, and i still use it to this day! seriously, all i do now is track my calories, eat cleaner (veggies, fruit, lean meat), and walk/run 2-3 times a week. no real diet plan or workout regimen, just monitoring myself more! hope this helps, by no means do all plans work for everyone!
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'd not bother with a diet per say, I'd aim to eat healthy, lots of veggies and salads and fruit, lots of protein, stick to your calorie allowance for the day. Exercise take up running or power walking.
    Good luck hun.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    If you have Netflix instant there are some fun 10 minute workouts .. free and fit into any schedule.
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Gyms are out of my budget right now, but don't frown upon walking/running. Its great cardio. Also you household items for weights like a gallon of milk. I also do lunges, chair dips (to work the arms) and when the gym does have open house (usually a free weekend, you have to listen to the sales pitch, but you get free access) I usually go. I also have a friend who has a Y membership, so I tag along as her guest occasionally. Just be creative.

As for diet, I don't really stick to one plan, but I try to limit bread and white flour, but mostly its portion control. You don't realize how many calories you're eating because the food is on a big plate. I try to just eat the serving size and lots of veggies.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend just learning as much as you can about healthy, nutritious foods, don't opt for a fad diet!

With carbs, go for low-GI options like brown bread and rice as they release energy slower. Eat plenty of fresh veggies, meat and fish. Weigh everything for a bit so you can get to know your portions. I still weigh most of my food to keep on track.

Nuts, fruit and SOME bars are great snacks. I'd avoid any sweet diet bars (cereal bars etc) as they are packed with sugar/fake sugar, which will give you a high and then a dip that will make you eat more.

Eat often, don't wait until you're starving. And drink water. It's not magic, just perseverance!

Hope this helps :o)
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on trying to get back on track! I know how hard it is to keep weight off.
    Like you, I do not have money for the gym. I love to walk and I try to find a variety of ways to make that into a fitness routine. Each morning I walk as fast as I can up and down my stairs. At first I could only do a couple of times but after increasing a minute a day I did 23 minutes this morning. I follow that up but doing some strength excersises and then follow with about 15 minutes of yoga stretches. Then whenever I have time on my lunch break, I get out and walk full speed. The last couple of days I was able to get in 30 minutes, but not always can I get that much. Then sometime in the evening I will try to get in another 10 minutes on the stairs or just take my dog for a walk.
    It can be discouraging when you see people on here doing their workouts on a bunch of fancy machines but this is working for me for now.
    As for food, I do not like any gimmicky diets. I just try to make sensible choices. I know what is healthy and what isn't. I just try to make it fit within my calorie goal each day. Some people do better with a more regimented program. Find what works for you and go for it!
    If you did it once you can do it again!!!
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. We can support each other.
  • X_Bex_X
    X_Bex_X Posts: 14
    Options
    have you tried c25k, its a free app on your phone that teaches you slowly but surely how to run a 5k?

I've checked out the website and it looks really good!! I used to go running but have lost the determination - I felt I had to go running everyday but this is really good!! 2-3 times per week would really help!! thanks for the heads up!!