First time committing

Options
Hi I'm trying to live healthier and change my eating habits. Any advice? I've been obese my entire life. It has truly become unbearable I'm so short close to 300 lbs. I have no energy.

Replies

• mindysoo
    mindysoo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Best advice - STICK WITH IT! Make small changes. Drink a lot of water. Surround yourself with like minded people. I am starting a group for support and motivation - you don't have to buy anything! Let me know if you are interested and good luck! :)
  • sianeve1
    sianeve1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is my goal as well :) If you want you can add me as a friend!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    great place to start is right here. read the forums, they are a wealth of information (and nonsense) so use caution and judgement. get a food scale. weigh and log everything. make small changes at a time, working more in as you go. Realize you will make mistakes, have bad days, weeks or even months, but as long as you keep coming back you will make progress. Every question you have has already been asked (seriously) so search the forums.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips to help you get started (yes, I copy/paste... it's good advice!):

- Buy a food scale and use it religiously! You need to know exactly how much you're putting in your body. If you "guesstimate" you will be wrong 100% of the time.
    - Log everything you eat. Don't get in the mindset that you can only log sometimes. You need to have a history of what you eat to help you know what your triggers may be, know what you are lacking, etc.
    - Don't give up just because you go over. Make up for it during the week or just take it as a lesson and move on. Bumps in the road will happen, this is not a straight line
    - You are accountable for you. Everyone here can push you, but if you aren't honest with yourself, it won't matter what anyone else does.
    - PERSONALLY: Calories In vs Calories Out (CICO) is the way to lose weight. Anyone who says you HAVE to eat clean, low carb, keto, etc. are fooling you. While they may lose weight faster, it is not something you can normally stick with. Science has proven that CICO is how you lose or gain weight. So eat that pizza, eat that burger, don't force yourself to have salad every single day. Eat the way you want to live your life, just learn to do it in moderation.

Good luck to you and add me if you like (as well as anyone else)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Don't Quit!
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to start small and stick with it. I'll be honest, the first time I started really keeping track of calories was terribly depressing. It made cooking (which I enjoy) not fun anymore. It took me about a month or so to get the hang of things and realize that this is a lifestyle change, and not a quick fix. You will make mistakes, yes, and get discouraged. If you stick with it you will see results.

One thing that did help me was to go a week or two without actually dieting, but just logging everything you eat. It is tedious, but it is also eye opening. That will give you a baseline as to where you are now, and you can start making small changes from there.

Good luck!
  • KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi, I agree with all of the above. I hope you won't be sad for too much longer. All the best and good luck.