Question for all the women out there

Options
Quick question ladies...... during "that time of the month" do any of you see a dramatic increase in your weight. I was done to 151.4 but the past two days I have went back up to 153. I know weight goes up and down but I really haven't changed my eating habits and then I realized it was about time for "it" to start. Any comments or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    i have yet to have that myself, but i think you tend to retain water before and during to compensate. but its been aaages since biology so don't quote me xD
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yes ,always has with me ,varies from a small amount to quite a lot sadly :grumble: the things we girls have to suffer :laugh:
  • cdenham001
    cdenham001 Posts: 83
    Options
    Will I lose the water weight or the excess weight when it's over??
  • rubyslips
    rubyslips Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, during my time of the month I always put on about 7-10lbs in water weight. (I suffer with water weight though. eg: if I eat a chines takeaway the next day I have put on half a stone easy in water weight) This is always gone about a week after its all finished. Dont worry, it will go within a few days! :)
  • kelley4123
    kelley4123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    hey! I always gain when it's due, usually around 5pounds! not good, but goes after a few days! will friend you as it seems we have similar goals!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I average, and im being 100% honest- a "2" to "8" pound GAIN when TOM comes!!! Its CRAZY!!!! But, after its over with I lose it so I dont worry too much!!!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yep I gain normally 2lbs and then I lose about 3 to 4 lbs about a week after its gone.
  • cdenham001
    cdenham001 Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I feel much better knowing that!!!
  • crobinson53
    crobinson53 Posts: 164
    Options
    cdenham001,

Perhaps you should just avoid weighing yourself daily. Your water weight will fluctuate even when you're not on it so there's no use freaking out every morning.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    F*** that's my comment! It is my TOM too and I am so upset I was 171 last week and kickin butt and today I weigh in for a challenge and I am 176.

176???!!! OMG did I really mess op or is ALL of that from TOM? Both seem really hard to believe.

I am hoping for both of our sake that thats what it is and those few extra will be gone or else it will be very very discouraging!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Totally. Anywhere up to 4 pounds. I normally just skip weighing in that week and i always have a double loss the week after. Win win. It is not worth annoying myself for.
  • ThaiKaren
    ThaiKaren Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yes and unfortunately it seems to get worse after the change :sad:
  • callymac66
    callymac66 Posts: 20
    Options
    Quick question ladies...... during "that time of the month" do any of you see a dramatic increase in your weight. I was done to 151.4 but the past two days I have went back up to 153. I know weight goes up and down but I really haven't changed my eating habits and then I realized it was about time for "it" to start. Any comments or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

I was going to ask this myself - I started MFP 3 weeks ago but started tracking calories etc for a week before - in my first two weeks, I dropped 10lbs - since then, nothing. My TOM is next week and I always put on a ridiculous amount of water weight. I'm worried that the only weight I've lost so far is actually water weight and nothing else
  • Vendetta2300
    Options
    While menstruating the body retains water (I cant remember the specifics - something about losing blood and needing sodium, I think?), but within a few days, your weight will be down to normal - no worries!

I am studying to be a biologist, and remember studying this for my course in human physiology. I didnt listen too much, however, cause I though it was so gross :sick:
    I dont deal well with the human body - I find it very unpleasant to study, cause I cant handle all the blood and puss and grossness (no problem with those things in animals, however - go figure!)! Luckily for me, it was only for one semester. I wont be specializing in the human body, that's for sure!!

Ah, but this wasnt about me, so I'll just stop talking now :laugh:
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    yep. I can go up 10lbs!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I gain EVERY single month then.but it ALWAYS goes away..I just need to make sure I drink all of my water and try to avoid sodium loaded foods......Mentally a pain in the tookus, however. :)
  • katie041085
    katie041085 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yup I'm always the same, 2lb every month! x
  • heathally
    heathally Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I gain just before, then lose quickly during TOM. Then it goes back up and stabilizes at the end. For instance, I am at 156.2, but just before it started, I went up to 158 then down to 155 a couple of days into it. Now I'm back at 156.2. Just keep in mind that everybody is different and if you know what to expect from your body, it will help you to keep from worrying.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    All my adult life (I'm over 50) I've gained 4-5 lbs during TOM. I was actually kind of pleased that I only gained 2 this month. I'm hoping that means I've actually lost a couple. :smile:
  • margrobins
    margrobins Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I refuse to even go near a scale when it comes that time! *lol* Just because I know we retain water and whatnot and even though i know this - I KNOW I'd be disappointed to see the numbers going in the other direction! So to save myself that "pity me" moment - I wait until a couple days after I'm done! Haha! I'm one of those people who needs to "trick" their mind!