What's the best (calorie wise) drinks to get at a bar??

Options
TrixieBermuda
TrixieBermuda Posts: 16 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Drank half of my daily calories at the bar last night. :/

I totally forgot I was dieting and people kept buying me drinks, ended up having 4 frozen mojitos and a sangria. I woke up today with less than 700 left, (meaning I'm going to run an extra mile or 2 to get some of the calories back). Lol.

But what's the best drinks to get at a bar?!
My drink of choice is usually margaritas or whiskey sour.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Should a person run miles after a night of drinking 10 ounces of alcohol or so? Side question since I would think the body is dehydrated. I tend to drink a lot of water the day after I drink to re-hydrate and give the liver a little break.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't try to exercise the calories off right the next day. But maybe the day after that, when you're no longer feeling the day after effects. I think of calories as more of a weekly thing, so it doesn't really matter if you get your calories straight in a couple days' time.

And as for the drinking part... I'm in the same boat as you... Once I down one 200 calorie drink, I could have 5 more and then be totally screwed with my calories. Moderation would be the key I guess! Drinks taste better when you only have a couple, anyway.
  • nataliewebb123
    nataliewebb123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try vodka soda lime or gin and slimline tonic :) both around 60 cals if it's a single measure!
  • sweetnylady
    sweetnylady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love to drink twisted tea while watching football, and if I drink 2 tall ones it's 880 calories... #1 reason I can't lose weight. My goal is to only drink if I have burned those 880 calories throughout the week. This is my first week trying this... wish me luck
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    A bartender got me hooked on flavored vodka + soda water. Roughly 90 calories for 1.5 oz. Kind of tastes like kool-aid flavored soda, lololol
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goal. If you want to sit with friends and sip on drinks socially, I think wine (~120cal/5oz serving) or beer (anywhere from 150-250cal/12oz bottle depending on what you like) are good options. If you want to get snookered, I'd just have straight liquor on ice with a little water or tonic.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bud Select 55 for beer.
  • absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Rum and diet coke for me
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I usually go with either a rum & diet coke or a cranberry juice & vodka. Both are reasonable for calories and I only have one or two. Sometimes I'll get a glass of wine instead.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Vodka + club soda and lime. Margaritas are highly caloric and have tons of sugar/carbs.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I love lots of different types of beers and one of those happens to be Corona Light! It's 99 Calories. 3 beers for 300 calories isn't bad at all if I plan for it. Like the others said too, if you're ok with diet soda's rum/vodka and diet coke isn't too bad, I believe captain morgen's is 60 calories per ounce, so more like 90 calories for a rum and diet coke mix (if they use an ounce and a half of the rum). Or you can just shoot it if you're just looking to get a buzz.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I do a diet 7&7....course my tolerance for drinking has drastically changed since losing weight so I rarely have more than 2.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Watch the drinks with club soda it's full of sodium and makes you bloated & puffy
  • TrixieBermuda
    Options
    Should a person run miles after a night of drinking 10 ounces of alcohol or so? Side question since I would think the body is dehydrated. I tend to drink a lot of water the day after I drink to re-hydrate and give the liver a little break.

I started running 3 miles everyday so I was suggesting I run an extra mile or 2. Which will be hard but doable for me. And of course I'll rehydrate.
  • TrixieBermuda
    Options
    try vodka soda lime or gin and slimline tonic :) both around 60 cals if it's a single measure!

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't drink any kind of soda or carbonated drinks.
  • TrixieBermuda
    Options
    I love to drink twisted tea while watching football, and if I drink 2 tall ones it's 880 calories... #1 reason I can't lose weight. My goal is to only drink if I have burned those 880 calories throughout the week. This is my first week trying this... wish me luck
    Lol. Good luck!
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you're a beer person, go mich light (55 cal per bottle), If you're a liquor drinker go vodka tonic with a splash of cranberry juice (about 70 cals) and just remember to hydrate, I usually drink a glass a water between alcoholic drinks (not that my drinking is that frequent anymore, lol). You can make it work!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I have run the day after drinking heavily, I've even done my scheduled long runs (10+ miles). Just make sure you're hydrating before, during, and after and pay attention to what your body is telling you. There's no reason why exercise should be skipped after drinking as long as a person feels capable of doing it.
  • TrixieBermuda
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the awesome suggestions! At the end of the day moderation is key. I wasn't being moderate last night and now I regret it. Lol. I've just never been one to turn down free drinks.
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    Vodka + club soda and lime. Margaritas are highly caloric and have tons of sugar/carbs.

This! Vodka soda lime is my go to drink at the bar. Club soda has zero calories, so you are only getting the 60-100 cals per shot of vodka depending on the brand and strength. When I drink liquor at home, I typically do vodka or rum with zero calorie unsweetened iced tea. Or, red wine! It may have more cals than straight liquor, but the antioxidants can actually be good for you. Just stay away from any mixed drinks or cocktails, a long island or margarita could have up to 700 cals per drink!