just counting calories?

Options
Hiya. Seen some great posts on here. Has anyone lost weight just through counting calories. (I know exercise will help massively) but just wondered if calorie counting could be enough to lose weight? ? Keep up the good work all

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Think of it super simply:
    Weight loss is based off a calorie deficit.
    Exercising is for your overall body health.

Can you use exercise as a means to create a larger deficit? Sure! Just find what works best for you to stay under your goal!
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I credit my 60 lbs lost so far to counting calories. Do I exercise? You bet, it keeps me sane and is good for my health. But it's knowing what I'm eating that's dropped the weight.
  • chanell84
    chanell84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs in the last year from mostly counting calories and eating in a deficit... I did walk some but not enough to say that it contributed much. Eating in a deficit is really the key!
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I credit calorie counting for a 192# loss in 20 month's. I don't think I would have ever accomplished it without counting calories.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I can count on two hands the number of times I've walked further than around the grocery store shopping since July. I've lost 35 lbs between then and now. First by following recommended portion sizes and currently by counting calories and shooting to be within a 200 calorie spread of my highly sedentary BMR calculator guesstimated burn more often than not. This will change as my weight changes but for now, it's working.

I do enjoy some physical activity, but I won't be restarting the sort of intermittent (0-3 times a week) non-gym physical activity I enjoy until I'm under 200 lbs. Personal preference.
  • DanBGVa
    DanBGVa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can only add my opinion to this thread and please take it for what it is worth my opinion only.

You can loose weight by cutting only calories but it does not do your body allot of good long term. From what I am learning you also need to build lean muscle to sustain weight loss and keep your metabolic rates up. 6 healthy meals a day are highly important for weight loss and to curbing cravings (especially late night snacking - that was a biggie for me).

Watching your calories is only a small part of this process. It has been different this time for me, mainly because my focus and viewpoint are finally different....

So I think exercise is essential even if it is just walking everyday. You don't have to be a gym rat. It has finally been drilled into me I must change how I think about food and how I think about my life around food and moving every day, I need to get out and move as well and change my relationship with food. Sometimes I get sick of hearing it but it is really true for me.

I wish you luck! But never every give up we can all get to where we want to be! :-)
  • villazorkrys13
    villazorkrys13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's more on the eating habit, though i will recommend exercise to keep your body firmed
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy and rarely do consistent anything and have lost 66 lbs counting calories. It works. When I do get exercise, I don't count it towards my food allotment. I just log it for reference. I exercise for fitness and count calories to loose weight. Now that I'm getting close to gw, I want to do more strength training in anticipation of maintenance and to get ahead on recomp. My calorie allotment gets smaller the less I weigh, so eventually I COULD add in exercise to eat more but you don't HAVE to exercise to loose weight...
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    54lbs down counting calories, never exercised.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    There are a fair few threads of people in the success stories that lost just through counting calories which is what CICO is about really. A number of people have to do it that way due tomorrow physical restrictions I recall one thread from a lady that was wheelchair bound and a veteran that had lost a leg.

Just counting calories and no excessive will mean that weight loss could be harder as excersise will help to create a bigger deficit. Also excersise will help with respect to shaping/toning etc. but it is not a requirement to loose the weight
    And excersise can be just something as walking. No requirement to running, gym or other high intensity training if that is not your cup of tea.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've lost 64 pounds counting calories and, with the exception of light walking for a month and a half during the summer, no exercise - I am very sedentary. I am 60 years old. I eat three meals a day. I was pre-diabetic for five years prior to this weight loss - I am no longer pre-diabetic. I was on two meds for high blood pressure - one was discontinued after my most recent doctor's visit. I am on medication for high cholesterol; all those levels were down and my doctor said he will probably take me off of them on my next check-up in four months, and probably also take me off of the other blood pressure medicine.

So, the answer to your question for me, and many others, is yes.
  • HfxJMac
    HfxJMac Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 lbs, over the course of 6 months, mostly through counting calories. And I started walking, which earned me more calories, but the math really is simple - a calorie deficit leads to weight loss. Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    yes...but exercise will make things all that much easier given that you can eat more with regular exercise and accomplish the same goals. also, regular exercise is highly beneficial to your overall health and well being.
  • kmleaf
    kmleaf Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise. I know it would be good for me but I hate it and I have lost weight without breaking a sweat even once. Will I choose to exercise in the future? Probably. I have lost 91 lbs since April and I feel fabulous.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    salty134 wrote: »
    ... just wondered if calorie counting could be enough to lose weight? ?

Exercise is more about health than weight loss.

Exercise helps but counting calories *is* where the majority of people lose weight.

The standard is having a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day, every day each week to lose one pound of weight. For most that is an hour or more of exercise. For me, cutting our soda and making different choices in food alone achieved the same.

• GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Salty,

As I get older I realize that I need to exercise to lose the extra weight I have. It would just take too, too, long otherwise now, especially since I have lost 65 pounds in the last 5 years.

Everyone is different though, and men do lose faster and easier.

70044776.png
  • amandapierce0515
    amandapierce0515 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have ONLY counted calories and stayed within my limits. And I have now lost 51 pounds in about 5 months. It is possible.
  • corbinskiii
    corbinskiii Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly diet. Exercise helps your fitness but isn't necessary to drop pounds.
  • salty134
    salty134 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cheers for all the advise and replies. Keep up the good work and hope I stick too it!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!