Light breakfast??

Options
ADaniM14
ADaniM14 Posts: 36 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I work out in the mornings and I've always heard that you should eat before you work out.. Well, for years I've had a difficult time eating in the mornings.. it eventually makes me feel sick (especially during a work out) would a protein shake be okay and would I still lose weight? I know losing weight has nothing to do with protein and more to do with calorie restriction, for the record. I've just never done protein anything. I've tried not eating before the gym but I end up feeling so draggy at the gym and I don't feel like I've had a good work out. All help and advice appreciated!!

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about calories in, calories out, so you would lose weight if you eat less calories overall. It doesn't matter if you eat them before or after a workout. Obviously for you, consuming some type of food is important for you to get a good workout in. A protein shake would be fine if it fuels you. Maybe something carby, like a granola bar or bagel with peanut butter for some carbs and fat? Try a few different things and find out what works best with your body.
  • ADaniM14
    Options
    Losing weight is about calories in, calories out, so you would lose weight if you eat less calories overall. It doesn't matter if you eat them before or after a workout. Obviously for you, consuming some type of food is important for you to get a good workout in. A protein shake would be fine if it fuels you. Maybe something carby, like a granola bar or bagel with peanut butter for some carbs and fat? Try a few different things and find out what works best with your body.

I've tried quite a few things and nothing seems to work, but I haven't tried a bagel with peanut butter. Maybe I'll try that next! Thanks!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want for breakfast as long as you end up consuming less calories than you burn.

I can't eat in the morning so I started making high protein smoothies to drink after my workout. If I eat and then workout, I get an upset stomach.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is caused by calorie restriction. If you don't want to eat breakfast - don't eat breakfast. It is the total calories you eat that matter, not what foods you eat or when you eat them.
  • Celestina_Loving
    Celestina_Loving Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, if I eat a solid meal I feel sick during my workout, if I eat nothing I burn out too fast. Usually I drink a smoothie as my first breakfast and it's perfect. This morning I made a mixed greens/banana/kiwi/avocado/spirulina/protein smoothie.
  • ADaniM14
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, if I eat a solid meal I feel sick during my workout, if I eat nothing I burn out too fast. Usually I drink a smoothie as my first breakfast and it's perfect. This morning I made a mixed greens/banana/kiwi/avocado/spirulina/protein smoothie.

Glad I'm not the only one!! I'm going to try a smoothie in the morning and see how it goes for me. Thank you!
  • natalielosew
    natalielosew Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just started with smoothies and its been pretty good! there is no rush to consume it all in one sitting and it also doesn't leave me feeling like i have wasted a workout because i am making pretty low cal green smoothies. But, like everyone said, if you are feeling sick after a workout because of eating, don't feel like you have to! You can always make those calories up somewhere else in the day.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options

I'm the same way, before workouts and at breakfast too. I do smoothies a lot, but a protein shake is faster and easier for me.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've been working out in the morning for years, generally doing a swim workout, running or spinning. If I don't eat beforehand I have trouble finishing the workout.

Experiment with what works for you. For me, I have found that coffee with milk plus about 100 calories is perfect It takes the edge off the hunger but doesn't make me sick in my stomach. For me the 100 calories is a granola bar or graham crackers or a piece of bread. You could do something with more protein and see what that feels like.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I have a banana and then out the door I go.
  • lkldangel
    lkldangel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You need to eat prior to working out and within 30-45mins after otherwise you put your body in a catabolic state- pretty much meaning your body is repairing itself from the damage you've just done (breaking down the muscle by working out) so you need to give is something to feed off of. (Or you'll just eat away at your good muscle growth) Starving yourself will not make you gain lean muscle and lose fat- eat protein shake after and 1-2 eggs and 1packet oatmeal before you'll see and feel a whole lot better. Changing your eating habits is the hardest - but eating smaller and more often speeds up your metabolism and the weight will melt off!