My appetite has gone down

Options
I've only been back on MyFitnessPal for a bit over a week. I'm finding that even though I'm eating way less food, my appetite has gone way down. There are some days I can't even eat all my calories. I won't make that a habit. I'm glad I'm not hungry overly hungry or struggling, but for anyone who has experienced this feeling, how long does it last for you? I guess I like it, but it's kind of weird at the same time.

Replies

• DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That happens to me, then my appetite comes back raging. Then the cycle starts over. I just try to make my food count and enjoy less ravenous days as they are
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    that happened to me in the way beginning as well. i think i was just on adrenaline from the feeling of "hey! i can lose weight!"
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of newbies say this.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for 25 days now and I've certainly experienced that. Initially I had to purposely stop eating and felt hungry still, but after a few days I adjusted to eating much less.
    I'm on maintenance now (only had a few pounds to lose) and I'm finding it hard to eat all my calories. I don't know if stomach shrinking is really a thing, or if I've just learned not to overeat. It could also be that eating more veggies and low-cal foods is more filling than say candy or chips.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I had this happen after about 5 months. The whole notion of "eat to feed your body, don't eat for pleasure" went way overboard. I was less hungry, but I could care less what I ate. By that time I was eating a lot of the same things, there was a huge variety but all of that repeated over and over. I hardly ever ate out. I was never eating junk food, fast foods or sweets anyways, so this was def. a 0 for me. I just lost the pleasure eating was before, even in the moderate sense.
    After about a month my appetite came back, nothing outrageous or going overboard, just normal like before. I think I mixed it up a little bit, started eating food I didn't before, like a lot of steak, and things like that.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to listen to your body. If you're less hungry, eat less and certainly make every calorie nutritious!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options

Hah! I was just thinking that I've lost like 113 lbs and my appetite hasn't changed AT ALL. :)
  • ericafranz
    ericafranz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon for your body to adapt to reduced calorie intake with reduced hunger. Make sure you feed your body even if you don't feel hungry but need the calories for the day, or you'll end up with a big swing the other way (overeating because your body has become too deprived).

And welcome back!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It happens. Listen to your body. As long as you have an overall downward trend of weight loss and your calories are on par for the week, eat when you're hungry and don't when you're not. If you just find you can't eat the portions you used to but you need to get the calories, add a few calorie-dense foods. A nice size pat of butter or 30g of nuts or seeds will pad calories quite nicely without adding bulk.

It took me a while to accept, but it really is ok to eat a small meal or not at all as long as your overall macro trends are healthy.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Hah! I was just thinking that I've lost like 113 lbs and my appetite hasn't changed AT ALL. :)

My theory is that people who radically change their diet are more prone to appetite loss. Did you radically change yours, or just eat less of what you were eating?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I wish that happened to me ;)

I wouldn't worry about this too much, OP. As long as you aren't drastically going under your allowance. If you do find yourself being under here and there, why not 'bank' it for a day in the week where you may eat a little more than usual? Like the weekend? This is what I do sometimes and it works well.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

My theory is that people who radically change their diet are more prone to appetite loss. Did you radically change yours, or just eat less of what you were eating?

Hmmmmm I wouldn't say radically. I started paying more attention to protein and eating more fruit and veggies but never gave up chocolate or carby things. And when I say that, I mean I eat it in moderation times 10.

But I was thinking more that people say they get full on less food when their stomachs shrink.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Stomachs don't shrink....unfortunately