Eating enough and still feeling hungry?

Options
I don't understand this and I wonder if anyone knows what I'm talking about or can give some advice....

I usually eat about 200-300 calorie breakfast. It has always been enough to keep me satisfied until my next snack. Now for some unknown reason, my stomach will growl and churn violently, as if I'm starving, about 30-40 mins after eating breakfast. No it's not digestion noises. The pains and growling of starvation or remarkable enough; I know what this is. I don't understand why I would feel like this after having just eaten breakfast! Surely I haven't burned enough for my 200 calorie breakfast to be a deficit! I mean, I just woke up and walked around a little bit. Give me a break. I don't understand this! It happened yesterday too.

The only reason I can come up with is that I've been working out a lot and maybe my metabolism has increased to the point where maybe I HAVE burned 200+ calories already in the morning? Is that even possible? I've been working out a lot but not anything too excessive.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening? Anyone else experience the same problem?

Replies

• Joanne4494
    Joanne4494 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi

Have you tried drinking water after your breakfast I get similar noise but its because of dehydration.:smile:
  • llsiegel
    llsiegel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It may be what you are eating for breakfast. Have you changed what you eat? I have found over the years that if I eat a carb-rich breakfast (even a healthy one) such as oatmeal or fruit, I am starving an hour later. Don't even ask me about apples--they are a hunger fueling food for me, personally. Try increasing your protein intake at breakfast, and drinking lots of water. Good luck.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    Seems I have that problem when whatever I eat in the morning doesn't have at LEAST 300 calories. everyday....I have to have like 350-400 calories in my breakfast and then I am ok until like 3 hours later. I eat 1500 a day, so yeah. i don't know, maybe it's becaus eyou just woke up and your body just absorbs that quick breakfast. What are you having for breakfast? Protein? Fiber? if not, that could be why.....doesn't take long to digest anything else.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My first thought is what are you eating for breakfast? Not all calories are created equal. I have the same problem. When I have oatmeal or fruit and yogurt etc, I'm hungry more quickly (though b/c of convenience, these are usually what I have) But when I have and egg and toast, I'm satisfied longer.

And absolutely yes! Exercise can make you hungrier b/c you have stoked the fires of your metabolism :)
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I get like that after i do a big workout the day before.. today i have had my brekkie and snack and lucn hand i am still marvin'
    Wish i knew why too.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I find i'm much hungrier when I have carbs later at night. I know its weird, but its how my body works.

When i'm hungry at night now I usually choose a protein.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You look amazing btw!
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    Don't even ask me about apples--they are a hunger fueling food for me, personally.

i have that same problem! they make me hungrier!!!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Well, without being able to see your diary - I would guess that it is possible you are not eating enough OR the kinds of foods you are eating aren't satisfactory... You have to remember that through sleep we still burn cals (mostly to help repair muscles)... So when you get up, your muscles are STARVING for nutrition. Are you feeding it some good amounts of protein (ie. egg whites/turkey bacon) combined with some hearty carbs (ie. oatmeal) in the am?
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat. The body knows what it needs, and if we educate ourselves on healthy fuel, we can't go wrong. Every day isn't going to be the same. You may be starving all day one day and not really have an appetite the next - your body goes through ebbs and flows just like anything else in nature.
    So you can try changing your breakfast to see if it's what you are eating, or just don't stress about it and eat if you are hungry. Have your snack a little early, or much on some almonds. And I also agree with another poster about drinking water first. Sometimes dehydration gets confused as hunger by the body. Been there.
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    Might this be not so much a question of the calorific content and more about the content of your breakfast and the bulk of it in your stomach failing to fill you up? For example, I've dabbled with SlimFast in my time before now and one of their shakes contains 200 calories give or take...but a bannana which has just short of half the calories still has more bulk to it and was much more filling.

It's just an idea anyhow, it seems to me that we often put a lot of emphasis on the calorific content but I know that a whole pan full of 0 calorie jelly is just as filling in my stomach as the full sugar version!
  • Sofitness
    Sofitness Posts: 54
    Options
    I have the same thing as written above with carbs for breakfast, but if that's not your case, your body may simply need the fuel for something else. Mine does to, because it already knows that I'm going to do lots of stuff, and I fuel it. Then, I'm (usually) not so hungry in the evenings and do not tend to eat what comes to my sight then.
    Just try make yourself something else for a couple of days, and if that won't work, trust your body and fuel it. It knows what it's doing.
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others....it may be WHAT you're eating. If you're eating 200-300 cals. of mostly carbs, you will be hungry because you need protein. Not saying you shouldn't have any carbs, just try to get your protein at each meal.
  • Lavmann
    Lavmann Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Interesting, if I eat anything but Oatmeal or Seven grain cereal for breakfast I am starving about 1-2 hrs later. But the oatmeal seems to really do the trick for me.
  • shortcake05
    Options
    Yeah I'm really only eating a fiber-rich cereal and some fruit. I used to make egg white omelettes but I got burnt out on them really quick. I know it's better to eat protein for breakfast but my only options, being a vegetarian, have been exhausted.

I hate how apples make me hungry 20 minutes later!! Glad I'm not the only one. I tend to eat fruit all day long while I'm at work. I'm an EMT and always out on the road. If I don't pack my own snacks for the day it's either starve, eat fast food, or gas station food. I used to make peanut butter sandwiches but that got old. I just snack on fruit all day and I never really feel satisfied.

I just think it's strange bc that 200-300 calorie breakfast used to be fine. I would eat at around 3 or 4am and feel fine til 7:30 or 8 when I'd have another snack. Now I'm already starving before I've left the house! Yesterday I had a call that really stressed me out and got my adrenaline pumping. After that, nothing I ate satisfied my hunger. I thought it was just the stress taking a toll/draining my energy, but I feel almost the same way today so I'm not sure.

I definitely know to eat when I do feel hungry. But I'm like "ok?....we just ate. Are you sure you want these extra calories bc I might not have time to work out tonight...."

I'll try to eat eggs in the morning though for sure. And I need to find better snacks throughout the day at work. Thanks, everyone, for your input!
  • shortcake05
    Options
    Interesting, if I eat anything but Oatmeal or Seven grain cereal for breakfast I am starving about 1-2 hrs later. But the oatmeal seems to really do the trick for me.

I love oatmeal, but it's hard for me to find oatmeal I actually LIKE that isn't full of sugar. Or if it's a respectable amount of sugar, the serving size is so small that I feel like I need 2-3x as much just to feel satisfied.
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    I find i'm much hungrier when I have carbs later at night. I know its weird, but its how my body works.

When i'm hungry at night now I usually choose a protein.
    Me too! If I have a high carb meal in the evening I'll be STARVING the next morning! I always make sure I get enough protein at breakfast or my stomach will be complaining after a couple of hours - my current fave is a 'healthy' blt - weight watchers bread, mattessons turkey rashers, tomato, lettuce, tiny wipe of light mayo, job done for hours! Some mornings OH and I share 3 between us... mmmmm
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    Just to add to that seeing as you're a veggie, quorn rashers work just as well for me too!
  • Lavmann
    Lavmann Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just make the plain oatmeal and add 1/4c frozen blueberries to it., no added sugar.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm really only eating a fiber-rich cereal and some fruit. I used to make egg white omelettes but I got burnt out on them really quick. I know it's better to eat protein for breakfast but my only options, being a vegetarian, have been exhausted.

I hate how apples make me hungry 20 minutes later!! Glad I'm not the only one. I tend to eat fruit all day long while I'm at work. I'm an EMT and always out on the road. If I don't pack my own snacks for the day it's either starve, eat fast food, or gas station food. I used to make peanut butter sandwiches but that got old. I just snack on fruit all day and I never really feel satisfied.

I just think it's strange bc that 200-300 calorie breakfast used to be fine. I would eat at around 3 or 4am and feel fine til 7:30 or 8 when I'd have another snack. Now I'm already starving before I've left the house! Yesterday I had a call that really stressed me out and got my adrenaline pumping. After that, nothing I ate satisfied my hunger. I thought it was just the stress taking a toll/draining my energy, but I feel almost the same way today so I'm not sure.

I definitely know to eat when I do feel hungry. But I'm like "ok?....we just ate. Are you sure you want these extra calories bc I might not have time to work out tonight...."

I'll try to eat eggs in the morning though for sure. And I need to find better snacks throughout the day at work. Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I am a pescetarian and eat a veg breakfast 99.9% of the time. Check my diary if you want because my breakfasts are all usually under or around 200-300 calories and I'm full until my midmorning snack which is usually veggies or fruit or something like that.

Ideas:

3 oz greek yogurt w/ 1/4 cup pumpkin flax granola and 1/2 cup berries
    1 cup cantelope, 1 slice whole wheat toast topped with poached egg and spinach
    pancakes made with fruit, rolled oats and granola topped with fat free sour cream (sweetened with stevia)
    3 egg white omelet with sauteed veggies mixed with herbs, pepper and fat free sour cream
    1 slice whole wheat toast topped with 1/2 avocado, garlic and salt - with 1 cup mixed berry and almond milk smoothie